VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #601
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

In battery news, it appears I might not have to shell out the cash just yet. Upon closer inspection my battery is an 800cca Everlast from Walmart, still has all the stickers on it left by the PO and it has a 3 year free replacement warranty. Sticker on the battery shows it as new in Jan of '12, so I called Walmart and they told me to bring it in.

That will buy me some time to save up for a nice high end battery down the road. In all honesty though this damn battery has always cranked so hard, even after leaving the radio and dome lights on for hours. I dont know what happened but it just decided to **** the bed one day out of nowhere.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #602
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's been a while since I read your whole build thread, so pardon me if you've already taken care of this:
In replacing the battery, I would spend a little time upgrading the charging/starting system's wiring, and get yourself some good marine grade batter terminals.
It's a VERY worthwhile project, that will definitely net you a noticeable difference in many aspects.
It's really not all that hard to do, or all that expensive. And the time involved is only about a couple hours or so, (and that's taking your time.)
I did a very pic heavy write-up in my build thread when I did this myself. Check it out HERE
I think my favorite part of this was the marine grade battery terminals.
... they provide excellent (superior really) connectivity to the posts, and give you a good mounting point for accessory hook-ups.
They also are near impervious to corrosion or oxidation, which pays for itself in the long run. (that and they look cool too!)
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #603
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Good news about the battery warranty. When you get a new one look into P3 Platinum on Amazon. Basically multi-port battery terminals for running cb's, winches, etc.

XJ's lookin good.

I keep sayin, though, box in those rear quarters and black it out to the first fold in north of the fuel lid. :-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #604
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Good news about the battery warranty. When you get a new one look into P3 Platinum on Amazon. Basically multi-port battery terminals for running cb's, winches, etc.
Those ARE pretty cool, more show than go though. "Battery Bling" for sure.
These are very similar to what I am running, don't be dissuaded by the wing nut, a pair of channel-locks tightens em down beyond the ability to budge loose.
I have been running these for a while now, and there is ZERO signs of any oxidation, pitting, or corrosion what so ever. You're way more likely to break off/strip or otherwise screw up a little allen set screw on one of those fancy terminal blocks, (no offence JeepN4KC) ....and what happens after you run out of "ports?"......with these, you have an entire post to fill up with ring terminals.

Even better than those would be the military grade terminals from PRIME 4x4
These things are literally BOMB PROOF:

Unread 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #605
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ No offense taken. The P3's were the only thing I knew of - don't have 'em but my uncle told me about em.

The last one you posted - that's more like it.

Prime 4x4 - gotta remember that.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #606
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Prime 4x4 - gotta remember that.
Yea cool people over there. Real small operation, but they're doing some SWEET stuff.
Ya gotta check 'em out. http://www.prime4x4.com/
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #607
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

XJ's lookin good.

I keep sayin, though, box in those rear quarters and black it out to the first fold in north of the fuel lid. :-)
Thanks for the compliment! And its funny you should mention the quarters. Plan is to do most all of that at once. Im picking up steel late this week, will be cut-n-folding lower quarters before next wheeling trip on the 28th. Hope to have the bumper built by then but not looking good on time. I do plan on bedlining that whole panel once all thats done, and probably my grille also to break up the red a bit up front.

And good advice on cable upgrades guys! Ive got new stock style terminals right now so that will be put on the backburner a bit longer. Late fall I intend to redo ALL my wiring. I will consult your build NW99XJ when I get there. You and JeepN4KC both are fantastic at writeups in your build, by the way.

In other news, free battery *****ez!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #608
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As far as battery terminals, brass is the key to no corrosion
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #609
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Playing around with an idea to break up some of the red up front, in bright sunlight it is almost an overpowering display of shiny colormatched-ness. Ive always dug the "base" look of a black grille on lighter colors, so I posted to the PS request thread and FireMedic hooked me up.

Soooo opinions? Stay colormatched? Paint it black (will be a low gloss paint)? Buy another grille/bezels to paint black and swap back n forth like clothes? Throw back some Bacardi 151 and think on it?

Side note: Bacardi is happening.... naow. Carry on.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #610
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Playing around with an idea to break up some of the red up front, in bright sunlight it is almost an overpowering display of shiny colormatched-ness. Ive always dug the "base" look of a black grille on lighter colors, so I posted to the PS request thread and FireMedic hooked me up.

Soooo opinions? Stay colormatched? Paint it black (will be a low gloss paint)? Buy another grille/bezels to paint black and swap back n forth like clothes? Throw back some Bacardi 151 and think on it?

Side note: Bacardi is happening.... naow. Carry on.
You seem so eager for the change, I think you should do it. But a second grille would be a good idea if you feel you may regret it.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #611
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
You seem so eager for the change, I think you should do it. But a second grille would be a good idea if you feel you may regret it.
I really do feel the colormatched grille is a bit out of place with my theme, but the paint is in such good shape Ive been second guessing myself. I think colormatched is "classier" maybe but thats not really what Im after.

Guess Im going into brain freeze cause this is the first cosmetic concern Ive had in months lol
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #612
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

I really do feel the colormatched grille is a bit out of place with my theme, but the paint is in such good shape Ive been second guessing myself. I think colormatched is "classier" maybe but thats not really what Im after.

Guess Im going into brain freeze cause this is the first cosmetic concern Ive had in months lol
Go to the jy and get another grill to paint black.
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #613
WJ04runner
2004 WJ 

jus use the black spray plasti-dip on that section of the grille, itll stay on good an let you see if youll like it, then if ya dont you can jus peel it off
WJ04runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #614
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What stores sell Plastdip? May go that route.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #615
WJ04runner
2004 WJ 

i always get it from home depot but im sure lowes an stores of that kind would have it aswell
WJ04runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.