VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #556
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
How do you like it?

I <3 rockrash
Pretty good, I kinda did it out of necessity really since the rocks destroyed my original muffler, but it worked out. Has a good tone to it but still quiet inside. I managed to get it tucked up a little higher out of the way too.

Overall Ive got 40 bucks in a muffler (and materials) that sounds a bit more aggressive, is stronger and more compact than what it replaced so Im pretty pleased overall. This is my first time welding up exhaust, came together pretty well.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #557
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is it straight threw or baffled? And nice

I <3 rockrash
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #558
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Two chamber like a 40series FM. Except 1/2 the price. I put one on my Z71 last year, they are a nice bang for the buck.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #559
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Two chamber like a 40series FM. Except 1/2 the price. I put one on my Z71 last year, they are a nice bang for the buck.
I see I don't think it will work for me.
I need something that will flow threw turbos don't like that style of muffler on 4.0s

I <3 rockrash
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #560
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Currently pricing out some steel to get going on a rear bumper build. I will be doing a cut-n-fold and wrapping it around the sides. Plan is to keep it high and tight to the body. Got a couple ideas Im tossing around for a sturdy mounting system.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #561
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Decided to replace one of my power steerings lines today. Two wheeling trips ago I noticed it was leaking, but when I got back all the leaking had pretty much stopped for DD duty. I put it on the backburner (locker install and all that came first). Well, last trip out the leaking returned. I made it through the trip just fine (and back to DD duty its barely leaking again) but I decided to jump on this before it left me on the trail one day.

Bout as straightforward as it gets, Ive got a line wrench with 16mm on one end, 18mm on the other. And thats about all I needed for this job lol. I removed airbox and e-fan to give me some room to work.

Lower side of the line is awkward to get leverage on, and mine just would not budge. Aint nobody got time fo that.

I broke the line off above the hex and ran me a couple extensions and socket on it. Childs play. Then I just installed the new line and cleaned it up under there to inspect for future leaks.

Not really a big update or anything but it sure feels good to have one less thing leaking haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #562
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
My pin would not clear the 3.55 ring gear.
When I took mine out for some other work, I went ahead and notched the offending ring gear tooth so that future access would be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
I just realized how little your XJ is actually modded.
Most of the rigs here are overbuilt for what they're actually used for. Keeping them simple, sane and cheap is definitely the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Oh, and washed it today.
I don't usually go for red on a 4x4 but there's no denying that's a beautiful XJ.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #563
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd rather be overbuilt than underbuilt.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #564
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
When I took mine out for some other work, I went ahead and notched the offending ring gear tooth so that future access would be easy.

Most of the rigs here are overbuilt for what they're actually used for. Keeping them simple, sane and cheap is definitely the way to go.

I don't usually go for red on a 4x4 but there's no denying that's a beautiful XJ.
Thanks a ton man! Means a lot from you, I know how much of a perfectionist you are, followed your build for a long time.

Red used to be a color I never cared much for either but it does hide trail pinstripping much better than my former Moss Green '98, and it looks pretty good with the right amount of contrast with black used here and there. Plus it really pops when its clean lol.

I should have notched that tooth out myself to make life easier in the future, but I took enough time setting up the Aussie that I hope to never have to dig back into it haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #565
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This is true. I just feel like a lot of people build their rig according to what the interwebz say, regardless of whether or not it is actually needed. My current setup doesnt have a jawdropping list of high dollar stuff but Ive upgraded what I needed and havent added anything I dont use. If something fails Ill be quick to upgrade but til then my setup works well out on the trails and thats ultimately all I care about.

Thats kind of been the build theme all along, put together a capable offroader by whatever means necessary without blowing money on things I dont need at the time. I needed front recovery points, bought a bumper. Open diff wouldnt pull up some rock faces, bought a locker. Needed brighter headlights, upgrade harness/housing/bulbs. Ive never been out wheeling and thought "boy itd sure be nice if my control arms were adjustable." "Man my stock trackbar redrilled over hasnt failed me, I need to upgrade that cause the interwebz told me." At my height I just havent needed it yet, but when the day comes ill be ordering the beefiest **** I can get ahold of.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #566
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on that. Some things I order because I want them, but most of the stuff was needed (for repairs or otherwise) and why not replace broken parts with the beefiest **** you can get?
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #567
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
x2 on that. Some things I order because I want them, but most of the stuff was needed (for repairs or otherwise) and why not replace broken parts with the beefiest **** you can get?
For real. The beefier the better!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #568
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Idears on good upper and lower control arms or just make em?

I <3 rockrash
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #569
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's not what I mean by overbuilt. I'm all for beefy parts. What you're thinking of is overengineered. That's where you wind up with more strength than you'll need. But I agree with you that increasing the margin of safety on strength or service life is a good idea for the severe conditions our rigs see.

I'm talking about the rigs that are too built for the trails they wheel. In stock trim, I was keeping up just fine with JKs on 37s. If the wheeling you do doesn't demand more than a stock rig, sinking thousands into it just to loose power on giant tires and making stock drivetrain parts more likely to break is dumb. Having something so big that all of the challenge and fun is removed - that's what I mean by overbuilt.

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #570
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd rather have the likely hood of breaking stock parts than not get out

I <3 rockrash

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.