VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Bestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #541
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I got lucky on having the last year for HP30's thankfully. But I am in dire need of a cut-n-fold. I came down on the back super hard over the weekend but the leaf took the hit. Its a matter of time before the quarters get crunched if I dont get my *** in gear lol
quarter panel armor

Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #542
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
quarter panel armor
Im talking bout the lower quarters, but when the time comes Id love some JCR quarter armor with the LED tails. I was a half inch away from busting a tail light over the weekend too lol
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #543
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

We spent most of our time wheeling on this last trip, and my wife/photographer stayed on board for the majority of the time, but heres a few pics she did manage to snap:

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #544
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
I got lucky on having the last year for HP30's thankfully. But I am in dire need of a cut-n-fold. I came down on the back super hard over the weekend but the leaf took the hit. Its a matter of time before the quarters get crunched if I dont get my *** in gear lol
Too late for me, I already landed on mine... I've just been too lazy to do the cut and fold.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #545
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Too late for me, I already landed on mine... I've just been too lazy to do the cut and fold.
Yea, it seems like a lot of work, maybe all the writeups are just too much to soak in and throwing me off. Im mainly doing it for the sake of being able to run 2x2 under it when I start working on a rear bumper.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #546
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's especially bad if you already have rust there and makes it infinitely more difficult to do well.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #547
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
It's especially bad if you already have rust there and makes it infinitely more difficult to do well.
In that case, cut & fold becomes cut & weld it shut
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #548
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
In that case, cut & fold becomes cut & weld it shut
Lol yeap. Im rust free back there but it still almost seems just as easy to cut it out, weld in a panel and seam seal everything. I intend to go through the standard process though and see how it goes.

For now the Jeep is just sitting, gotta pull the trigger on a muffler/cat and weld it up.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #549
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cut n fold!!!! Don't be scared.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #550
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Cut n fold!!!! Don't be scared.
Haha oh Im past the fear of cutting things, that went out the window when I sliced out a large section of the unibody rail lol.

Im just trying to work my timing out. Next WBR ride is not until the end of July, Ive got a good chunk of things Id like to do between now and then, just a matter of finding the time and deciding where to start first. Unfortunately almost all my plans are one-off fab ordeals, and with working 50-60 hours a week I dont know how much I can do. Plus Ive had some medical bills coming in killing fundings a bit.

Heres a shorthand list of things Id like to get finished up by next trip:

-Rear cut n fold with matching homebrew bumper. Will use 2x4 3/16" wall for the base, angled ends with 2x2 extending under c-n-f.

-sliders. I need to do this badly but Im really thinking Id like to do stiffeners first, since I intend to burn the bracing in solid. So all this is up in the air

-exhaust. For $$ sake I think I might just weld my old setup back on with some minor adjustments. The main reason I knocked it off was a poor line choice. That front Aussie wrote a check the exhaust couldnt cash haha.

-pin front doors. As a former TJ owner I am not a big fan of this mod on XJ's, but my theme lately has been function over fashion and honestly the tiny windows are killing me at just over 6'2" tall. My wife and I both had definite brusing in opposing armpit regions from hangin out the windows. Id like to fab simple square tube half doors to be used on wheeling trips ONLY, then use full doors for DD duty.

Theres some near future plans jotted down. Ive had a long day and hear my Bacardi 151 calling my name. Nom nom.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #551
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am planning on doing the door less mod because I am 6ft 1 and I cant get my self out the windowto see were the hell my ride wants to go! and or its more fun without doors.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #552
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, had a little time to do and got going on my exhaust re-do. After a lot of thinking I decided that despite my cat being larger than Id like, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it so I just cleaned it up a bit and will go ahead and run it. My OE muffler was shot though, and I was up in the air. Almost picked up a Thrush Turbo for the sake of being quiet, but it looked flimsier than the stock muffler. I ended up going with an old favorite, the poor man's flowmaster:

I picked that up and some exhaust pipe to mock everything up for length/orientation. Tacked it up off the Jeep and slide it on to double check. Since it held itself up, curiosity got to me and I had to fire it up. I think Im going to like it. Even without being sealed up yet it had a nice clean and deep tone to it, not as loud as I was expecting either thankfully. This was with no tailpipe, still undecided what I wanna do there.

I called it quits for the night. Ive got the cat and muffler mated up, just have to decide on tailpipe/no tailpipe, weld hanger accordingly, then weld it back onto the Jeep. Ill try and do a sound clip when its all done.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #553
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got everything finished up this morning, just have it dumping after the muffler for now, will likely do a tailpipe later but its really not loud at all inside. Tucked up out of the way for the most part, still hate my giant cat but it does its part lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #554
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Brief clip just a few minutes after I got the exhaust finished up.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #555
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How do you like it?

I <3 rockrash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.