VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Their is a story you aren't telling. Spill.
Haha not much to tell. I was wheeling around down at an old spot and hit a hole we used to always do only to discover that someone has been wearing it out, made it almost out and almost got stuck but was able to rock out of it. My buddy wasnt so lucky. Had a friend with a fullsize pull him out, as I didnt really have any recovery stuff with me.

So thats my next direction in the build (should have been the first), to get some decent recovery points going. Ill cover that as I make progress.

In other news, picked up some tools, a couple 6" lights, and some other whatnots at Harbor Freight today. Will try and mount the lights up soon. Til next time, heres a pic of it parked up in a yard during our little ice storm. It was the only place to park where I couldnt slide the Jeep sideways from blowing in its general direction haha.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #32
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not much of an update, but I got my lights mounted/wired up. I copied what I did on my old XJ by mounting them back on the hood. Really worked out well to illuminate on past what the headlights dont cover. They are a pretty tight beam so glare isnt an issue, and I still have full range of hood travel.

Definately not for everyone, but I really enjoy the setup and it performs well for my needs. Pitcherzzzz!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

.... Tastefull ... nice jeep man
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I miss my roof rack lights. They were always hitting trees and **** off road so I have stayed away from them on my new XJ. Maybe I'll make some pillar mounts. Hmm...

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude their is an issue with this heep.
Needs 33s. Or even bigger
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #36
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggn235 View Post
I miss my roof rack lights. They were always hitting trees and **** off road so I have stayed away from them on my new XJ. Maybe I'll make some pillar mounts. Hmm...
I had considered pillar mounts, I had lights in that location on my old TJ and really liked them. Id eventually like to do lowprofile lights up on the roof but Id like to have a nice rack up there first.

@Project1, thanks man!

@Luke95, I fight the "go big" battle every day but I just cant bring myself to hack into this one yet because its just so clean. Also keeping it DD friendly is important to me on this one as my wife likes to drive it from time to time. However in time when I find motivation to wrench Id like to step up to 4.5" and 35's, I just got a million other things to do first, namely getting the wifes ride a new set of tires and fullblown maintenance on all 3 of my vehicles to get them 100% up to spec. The whole 3" and 31s thing kind of bores me especislly since previous XJ's of mine have been bigger, but its a good look and still very capable. Soooo ill probably kick it in the minor leagues a while haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #37
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Aleast wheel it hard.
Have you seen n20s build on Cherokee forum
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Aleast wheel it hard.
Have you seen n20s build on Cherokee forum
No, I pretty much stay on JF and drool over on Pirate from time to time lol.

And it will certainly see some good wheeling in time, mainly waiting on better weather and finishing my setup. At the bare minimum I need to get my bumpstops sorted out and order another tire to complete my set. Im currently running a couple oddball 31's up front until I order a 4th Firestone Destination MT in a week or two. Also wanting to update to the V8 ZJ tie rod and get some other things in order. The offroad park I go to host rides on select weekends and its about a 40 mile drive. I drive my rigs down, beat em all weekend and drive back, so I want it bombproofed of any stupid failures before I get too wild.

For that reason, this Jeep will likely morph into more of an expedition style rig over time, rather than a "lets see how big a tire I can stuff before **** breaks" setup. I need the ability to drive it to the trail, wheel it hard, and drive back 40+ miles with my wife and daughter.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Totally makes sense, Im probably gonna have a DD soon so Im not to afraid to floor it some times. And its also the reason im going big......
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #40
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Totally makes sense, Im probably gonna have a DD soon so Im not to afraid to floor it some times. And its also the reason im going big......
Yea, thats the best way to have it. I probably wont let myself get too out of hand with this one as I plan to build up another Mustang in the semi-near future, but I definitely want a solid performing setup first. Sometimes I REALLY wish my hobbies were cheaper.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hobbies and cheap dont work at all well together.
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #42
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hobbies and cheap dont work at all well together.
No those are some words of wisdom
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #43
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

^ Nooooooo joke. Thankfully buy-in price for most XJ's is cheap, cause the wallet thins out quick after that!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #44
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No it takes the first hit then stays at the same place.
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Speaking of spending money, I believe Im going to (if I dont change my mind) start gathering parts to bump up to 4.5" lift. Ill probably end up selling a gun or two to try and fund that, as well as possibly pick up a JCR DIY front bumper. One of those will have to come before the other. I just really miss my 4.5" lift I had on my last '99. Its just a good looking height and it will set me up to run 35's in the future if I get another DD. all this is still up in the air though. My XJ just has a little rake to it that I hate, and if I go to the trouble to buy new coils I may as well buy the 4.5's and run small lift shackles out back.

Then its a matter of snagging 4* shims, LCA's, trackbar, extended lines, then see how my vibes are. I yielded around 4" of lift out back and have almost no vibes running no tcase drop. Im just going to see how everything pans out, ultimately all these plans depend on how much of the tax money I can grab before my wife tries to suffocate me in my sleep haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.