VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #361
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man! I spent most of the afternoon removing a little material at a time til I got it where I wanted.

Little closer pic here:

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #362
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

In other news, my latest junk pile is growing to be quite large.

And my bumper shipped. My fate is at the mercy of FedEx now.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #363
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Began the rear cut and fold today... and my worst fear came to life.

Drivers rear quarter had some suspicious bondo work around an area that was bumped in the past. I paid it no mind, made my slits, and started hammering everything up. All was well until the section right where the back door ends. I hammered it up and instantly a tear in the sheetmetal and cracked bondo formed on the lip, accompanied by the quarter bowing out.

Im sick as a dog right now, not so much at what it looks like as much as I want to punch the autobody repair guy. Lazy lazy halfass work. I took my flap wheel and tore into it to get the bondo out and see what Im working with.

On the plus side, I was going to be doing bedliner there anyway, possibly the whole quarter. And its really not all that bad I guess. I think Im more upset that I wanted to try and do a megaclean job out back like the front lol. Ohhh well. One less thing to worry about looking ****ed from trail rash.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #364
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Began the rear cut and fold today... and my worst fear came to life.

Drivers rear quarter had some suspicious bondo work around an area that was bumped in the past. I paid it no mind, made my slits, and started hammering everything up. All was well until the section right where the back door ends. I hammered it up and instantly a tear in the sheetmetal and cracked bondo formed on the lip, accompanied by the quarter bowing out.

Im sick as a dog right now, not so much at what it looks like as much as I want to punch the autobody repair guy. Lazy lazy halfass work. I took my flap wheel and tore into it to get the bondo out and see what Im working with.

On the plus side, I was going to be doing bedliner there anyway, possibly the whole quarter. And its really not all that bad I guess. I think Im more upset that I wanted to try and do a megaclean job out back like the front lol. Ohhh well. One less thing to worry about looking ****ed from trail rash.
Go get some sticks and dirt and rub it on it. Lol that does suck but the bedliner quarters are better looking imo.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #365
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Go get some sticks and dirt and rub it on it. Lol that does suck but the bedliner quarters are better looking imo.
Yea idk wtf Ima do with it just yet, I still got so much other **** and so little time. Last night I went ahead and did the pass side real quick, I need to finish beating everything under real good, chip off the paint flakes and bedline it. All things considered I dont guess it really turned out too bad.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #366
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ha, put some diamond plate over it
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #367
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Get quarter panel armor
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #368
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bumper is going to be NICe!!! ... Check out my thread.. I had some pretty good damage on both sides.. I use the JCR armor and it worked out great... it was like 350 I think .. but it was worth it big time.
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #369
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
bumper is going to be NICe!!! ... Check out my thread.. I had some pretty good damage on both sides.. I use the JCR armor and it worked out great... it was like 350 I think .. but it was worth it big time.
Yea Im pumped for the bumper, should really complete the look and Ill be glad to have recovery points up front.

And JCR's quarter armor is the plan in time, I almost bought them a couple weeks ago but knew I needed my bumper first. I really love the look of the LED tails and the extra protection will be nice. My quarter is still straight at the moment, minus that little spot under the door. Last nightt I patched the whole and shot bedliner around that area to cover the bare metal. I will go ahead and bedline the whole quarter but this will keep things safe from the elements for now. Got dark on me last night and with a chance of rain in the forecast today I didnt wanna give rust a chance.

I will be doing the rockers too to blend it in a bit better. Ill consider this a temporary fix for now though, Ive just got too much to get done between now and the WBR trip to spend days on this ****. Ive been pulling 12 hour days all week so it hasnt left me with much Jeep time. And Im sure the wife is getting pissed, I heard the ol "you love the Jeep more than me" line yesterday.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #370
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
And Im sure the wife is getting pissed, I heard the ol "you love the Jeep more than me" line yesterday.
I've gotten this everyday since she figured it out, but in my case, it's kinda true.
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #371
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Yea Im pumped for the bumper, should really complete the look and Ill be glad to have recovery points up front.

And JCR's quarter armor is the plan in time, I almost bought them a couple weeks ago but knew I needed my bumper first. I really love the look of the LED tails and the extra protection will be nice. My quarter is still straight at the moment, minus that little spot under the door. Last nightt I patched the whole and shot bedliner around that area to cover the bare metal. I will go ahead and bedline the whole quarter but this will keep things safe from the elements for now. Got dark on me last night and with a chance of rain in the forecast today I didnt wanna give rust a chance.

I will be doing the rockers too to blend it in a bit better. Ill consider this a temporary fix for now though, Ive just got too much to get done between now and the WBR trip to spend days on this ****. Ive been pulling 12 hour days all week so it hasnt left me with much Jeep time. And Im sure the wife is getting pissed, I heard the ol "you love the Jeep more than me" line yesterday.
Man lol No bs.. I have thought .. man if i put the time and money into my girlfriend that I do into my jeep my girl would be HAPPPPPPYYYY ... lol ... but hey ... your jeep will always be your jeep .. what can you say

And that bumper will look great with the quarter panels ... I got the bumper, panels, and gas skid and I love it. I wish the rest of my xj was that sweet
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #372
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lol I was gonna tell her to get back in the kitchen but until we get a more comfortable couch I thought it wise to hush.

So taking a break from making any progress today to spend some time with the fam and maintain the balance around here. Kinda hard when the Jeeps begging me to do some work to it.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #373
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I sort of want it.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #374
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
I sort of want it.
Thanks... i think... haha.

I cant wait to take it on its first real shakedown this weekend. Ill get plenty of pics then, wifes taking her real camera lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #375
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Looks good.

Box in the rear corners then run the black all the way to the crease in the rear quarters (between the "4x4" and the gas cap lid).

That would give it a nice 2 tone.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.