VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #256
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasperooch View Post
Sweet, so whats the cheap (but not really bad) way to lift the front 2 inches?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Coil spacers

Luke95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #257
gasperooch
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Where'd you get your AAL?
gasperooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #258
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sweet, so whats the cheap (but not really bad) way to lift the front 2 inches?

Just know you're gonna want 3"-4" for 31's eventually. Go in the "Wanted" forum and pick up someones spacers, shackles, ...Hell, maybe a 3" setup for cheap. Guys are always trying to earn back the money from when they went TOO CHEAP.
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #259
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ranger shackles fit like they belong there. (ignore my rotted hitch, its getting replaced)

Minor difference in height change from the 1.5" shackles but gave the stance I was after and got rid of the rattling type of vibes I got upon deceleration.

That should finish off my fine tuning of ride height, and shy of some more prevantive maintenance and odds and ends, its ready for a nice road trip to take it wheeling/camping for the weekend.

This is all pretty trivial "mods" really, but I figured Id post anyway for people looking for another alternative to the MJ shackle swap. These are pretty much identical and very readily available in JY's.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #260
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Put on new JF decal yesterday and took a cool pic earlier of a little storm rolling in.

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #261
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, back on the maintenance train to get this thing ready for reliable wheeling away from home. After I got the back brakes totally redone out of necessity, it was time to tackle the front.

New u-joints, PS unit bearing, brakes, and double checked my alignment and got my steering wheel perfectly center (got it in the ballpark before.

Cooling system flush is next up, and I need to wire in an aux fan switch, as well as pic a spot to run a line of switches. I like the look of them being mounted just to the right of the shifter, but thats still up in the air.

Ideally I need to track down a new hitch and cut out a lil uni-frame rot and weld in new. Hopefully I get time for that in the near future.

Til next time....
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #262
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, got my first all around test of the build lined up. My semi-local Jeep club LJOC has a bunch of the crew going to Land Between the Lakes for a weekend of camping and wheeling at Turkey Bay OHV. Date is SET. Very pumped.

Turkey Bay is a great place to wheel and the area is just a great place to be if you are an enthusiast of anything else outdoors oriented. This will be my first time there in a Jeep but Ive been there many times riding ATV's and what not. Heres the screenshot of the trip Ill be trusting my handywork to:

Its 131 miles one way of 70mph highway speed, to small 1 stoplight towns, to beautiful back country with the prize of a nice OHV park at the finish. I will be taking the Jeep down possibly Friday if I can get off work (but Saturday morning most likely) and living out of it for the weekend and arrive back home on Sunday night. Current plan is to rearrange cargo after the first day of wheeling is over and sleep in the back with the wife. I probably will choose to camp on site rather than at Hillmams Ferry like the rest. Last time I did that I was able to secure a spot all to myself on the rocks 10 feet from the lake. What a great scene to wake up to.

I still got some final maintenance to tend to here and there before I go but otherwise Im about as ready as I can be at this point shy of front recovery points. Oil change is fresh, brakes, hub bearings, and axle ujoints are all new. No CEL's or funny quirks of any sort, I have a fullsize spare on board. I will likely gather first aid kit and things like that pre-trip but otherwise should be good to go.

Im pumped, less than 3 weeks away!! And if everyone from LJOC goes that has committed to then it will be a big turnout (over 30 Jeeps right now).
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #263
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Well, got my first all around test of the build lined up. My semi-local Jeep club LJOC has a bunch of the crew going to Land Between the Lakes for a weekend of camping and wheeling at Turkey Bay OHV. Date is SET. Very pumped.

Turkey Bay is a great place to wheel and the area is just a great place to be if you are an enthusiast of anything else outdoors oriented. This will be my first time there in a Jeep but Ive been there many times riding ATV's and what not. Heres the screenshot of the trip Ill be trusting my handywork to:

Its 131 miles one way of 70mph highway speed, to small 1 stoplight towns, to beautiful back country with the prize of a nice OHV park at the finish. I will be taking the Jeep down possibly Friday if I can get off work (but Saturday morning most likely) and living out of it for the weekend and arrive back home on Sunday night. Current plan is to rearrange cargo after the first day of wheeling is over and sleep in the back with the wife. I probably will choose to camp on site rather than at Hillmams Ferry like the rest. Last time I did that I was able to secure a spot all to myself on the rocks 10 feet from the lake. What a great scene to wake up to.

I still got some final maintenance to tend to here and there before I go but otherwise Im about as ready as I can be at this point shy of front recovery points. Oil change is fresh, brakes, hub bearings, and axle ujoints are all new. No CEL's or funny quirks of any sort, I have a fullsize spare on board. I will likely gather first aid kit and things like that pre-trip but otherwise should be good to go.

Im pumped, less than 3 weeks away!! And if everyone from LJOC goes that has committed to then it will be a big turnout (over 30 Jeeps right now).
Sounds like an awesome trip! Haven't been Down to lbl since 1998!
thenewguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #264
gasperooch
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Are you keeping a tally for how much you've spent on this build?

gasperooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #265
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy79 View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip! Haven't been Down to lbl since 1998!
Should be a blast! I havent been since '05 but Ive never taken a Jeep down. Im pumped up.

Quote:
Are you keeping a tally for how much you've spent on this build?

I plan to go back through and tally up things at some point. Most of my mods have been acquired locally used, discounted through parts store, or scratch and dent from online. I dont have much money in the mods but my initial purchase price was higher than most just because of how clean it was.

It was never meant to be a super low budget build really, just trying to be thrifty when I can, but thats most of us lol.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #266
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, bad news, and good news.

Bad news: as of right now Turkey Bay is closed until further notice due to rain (erosion prevention). The trip is not until next weekend but the forecast has even more rain for the next several days so it appears the trip wont be happening. At least not at this time anyway, which may be for the better really. Reliability wise Ive got everything in check and Im up on my maintenance, but I have no recovery points, and I need good front shocks as well, plus an SYE. Needless to say my rig isnt built to my liking/needs, so it may be a bit early for a haul like that anyway.

The good: Ive really put in some good OT at work and landed several big sales, which has left me with a little play money, about 1200 bucks worth.

The intent was to upsize with new tires, either 33s or 35s, and sell my 31s while they are still good to recoup a lil money. Obviously 35s is the more desirable option (bigger is better, afterall), but of the two tires Ive got picked out, the price difference is enough that I would have a good chunk left to fix the aforementioned missing pieces (recovery/drivetrain needs) if I went with 33s. Aside from the initial cost difference, cost of inevitable steering, brake upgrades and regearing in time will likely break me. With this Jeep being my primary driver, I put too much time behind the wheel of it to deal with those issues for the length of time it will take me to correct them. As much as I want 35s, I just cant justify them and really without having recovery or even SYE setup, it problem wouldnt be very smart to tap my funds out on the tires.

Anywayyyy, all that BS aside, looks like Ill be ordering tires, SYE, and probably a JCR bumper or two here real soon, as well as finally doing some trimming. Hopefully by the time the 33s I purchase need replacing Ill have the money for gears and go to 35s then.

Stay tuned!
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #267
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How big of a price difference are we talking? If you can get 33s and OTK steering I would do that instead. If you can't do both, and have a 8.25 just go 35s now. As far as SYE goes, I would just get a HnT, much more cost effective.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #268
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Buy 33's, and build it for 35's. When the 33's are worn out, you'll be ready/capable to handle 35's.
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #269
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
How big of a price difference are we talking? If you can get 33s and OTK steering I would do that instead. If you can't do both, and have a 8.25 just go 35s now. As far as SYE goes, I would just get a HnT, much more cost effective.
35s were running around 1000 shipped.

Since I have other things to tend to before I go too big I finally ordered some tires last night. After a lot of research and speaking with GregB_00XJ I went with Hankook Dynapro MT's. Good looking tires with long tread life, just what Im after at this time. After some debating, I realized at my lift height I feel 33s would look too small if I trimmed, yet they are too big not to trim so I met in the middle and picked them up in 32x11.5. I will be keeping my flares although in the coming week will do some minor clearancing to them and bedlining them.

Good thing about this move was the price was right, so now Ive got some coin to address other issues.

I went ahead and ordered some Rough Country (i know) 2.0 front shocks for 4-6" lift and will be picking up IRO's HnT at some point as well.

Currently Ive got about 420 bucks left not counting whatever I get out of my 31s. Ive considered getting JCR's DIY front bumper but I priced it with tie-in brackets and 2" receiver and it came to damn near 400 shipped. Quality product but at that much coin for something I have to weld anyway I may fair better to build my own like I had planned. The selling of 31s should fund that step.

Sooo puts me back with 420 and Im not really sure where to put it. Considered picking up new LCA's that have flex joints instead of my fixed rubber bushing LCA's, but not sure what brand I wanna look into. I didnt have any trouble from my RC X-Flex LCA's but Id really like to keep RC parts to a minimum on this thing for longevity's sake. Could snag a doubleshear trackbar, (IRO) and most likely while im at it pick up a new HD tie rod or maybe different steering altogether.

Decisions...
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #270
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cancel that RC order and get Bilsteins instead, it'll be worth it.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.