VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 121 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #1801
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
What did those run ya?
I think they were 11-12 bucks a piece on Amazon. Good stiff rubber too.

I actually got passenger side in and all set up. Just ran several tack welds on it because I was too lazy to fool with the old broken off bolts. Just gotta wait for my extended brake line then check the stops to see if I need to add a puck in there. Dont think I will but it depends on how much these compress.

You can see the shock shaft left and bumpstop to ubolt plate distance are very similar. Shocks are 10" travel.
Shot of the whole bump setup/raised shock mounts:

This ****s really starting to come together.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #1802
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got drivers side done and did some testing. Heres drivers side at ride height:

Then drivers side again at full bump:

Overall its working damn near perfect, except there does appear to be more uptravel to be had. Theres still some uptravel left in the shocks, and the tire had a little more room before contacting the fender. Ill leave it alone til I get more testing in, as this wasnt a real tough bind, just a quick flex on the creek bank. Its possible that a tight bind will droop the opposite side more, pivoting off the bump and actually use that last bit of uptravel I have. Even if not, Im not wasting much travel, worth it to have that safe zone.

Heres where I was at when I took the pic of the bump contacting on the passenger side. LOTS more droop in the rear on tap but I couldnt pull up the mossy rock ledge very easily.

Heres the passenger side at full bump. You can see the Omix-Ada replacement snubbers dont have much give to them.

Im pretty tickled with this overall. I cant honestly say I havent taken the time to do this with past XJ's, but I know the payoff will be worth the effort. Aside from that, I managed to get this end result in the name of thriftiness by fabbing the bumpstop plate contact points and shock mounts. Not to mention shopping around for the best price on the frame side snubbers. After the Omix-Ada bumps and material/consumable cost Ive got less than 40 bucks in my rear bumpstop/raised shock mount setup. Clifford the Big Red Tastefully Cheap Unibody.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #1803
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great! The rubber bumps will soften up and compress a bit more. I think you could've raised your shock mounts up a little more. Mine are at the center of the axle tube and they seem perfect
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #1804
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
Looks great! The rubber bumps will soften up and compress a bit more. I think you could've raised your shock mounts up a little more. Mine are at the center of the axle tube and they seem perfect
Thought about raising them more but where I put them seemed to be about right for me, especially if the bumps compress a bit more over time.

Actually could be the angle of my last few pics. Shock mounts are up there pretty high over factory.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #1805
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it's time for a tank skid with those high clearance shock mounts. Wish I could do that with mine but I wouldn't have enough shock travel for my droop unless I put in tube mounts through the floor; which I plan to do anyway but later, maybe with coilovers. I've already got hung up on my shock mounts once before.

Your Jeep's looking great!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:58 AM   #1806
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Damn that came out really well. Though I feel like you could have had slightly short bumps to gain some more uptravel, it will like you said, compress over time and you'll gain a little bit.

x2 on the tank skid.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #1807
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

X3 on the tank skid. It's basically an open target with your folded rear quarters and all that up travel

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #1808
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Looks like it's time for a tank skid with those high clearance shock mounts. Wish I could do that with mine but I wouldn't have enough shock travel for my droop unless I put in tube mounts through the floor; which I plan to do anyway but later, maybe with coilovers. I've already got hung up on my shock mounts once before.

Your Jeep's looking great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Damn that came out really well. Though I feel like you could have had slightly short bumps to gain some more uptravel, it will like you said, compress over time and you'll gain a little bit.

x2 on the tank skid.
Thanks guys! Ill be keeping an eye on the bump setup out back when I get the chance to do some real testing. If needed I can always trim the rubber down a bit on the frame side bump to get that last bit of uptravel out of the shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
X3 on the tank skid. It's basically an open target with your folded rear quarters and all that up travel
Haha I know it, tanks just hanging out back there with all the other beefed up, high clearance **** like "oh damn oh damn oh damn watch that rock."

Its on my to do list soon, actually been talking to the shop foreman at Dirtbound Offroad about potentially offering a DIY tank skid kit. I feel theres a good market for that, a lot of people out there like myself that dont want to pay full price for a skid, but dont really wanna full with all the measuring and drilling of building one.

As is though I just adapt my driving style a bit to cater to the tank being unprotected. Careful line choice goes a long way, if Im coming down off a big ledge, i usually cut the wheel last minute and ease down it at an angle so if anything hits its usually the leaf itself.

That said itd be nice to not have to worry about that, but Im just about burnt out on tweaking this thing and spending money for a little while. Ive got other hobbies and things I enjoy this time of year and the damn Jeep has left my disposable income pretty thin. Plan to finish fine tuning and just run the thing as is for a while. Just running through my head of all the things I need to pick up for this is depressing. Seems the more I perfect it, the more I recognize other things needing addressed.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #1809
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've pushed my luck on my gas tank as well
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1810
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You cheap @$$, just buy a damn skid....
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #1811
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95
Or relocate it.
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #1812
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Honestly, Im getting kind of tired of spending all my free money on this thing lately. Ima try to leave this **** alone-ish for a while. I havent got out and shot my handguns in weeks because of this thing, its starting to take fun out of things in a way.

Got my brakeline in today. Its RC but maybe even they cant **** up a brake line, the length appears to be perfect.

So Im gonna put that on, figure out my passenger coil sagging issue, and probably just put gas in it a while and enjoy some other things in life. Still wheeling this month on 21-22 so look for that. But otherwise I plan to go stock back up on ammo and sling some brass again before i get rusty. **** that Jeeplife for a hot minute.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #1813
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #1814
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Needs more v8 and one tons!
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #1815
squirrelrocket
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I shoot cheap russian stuff so I can somewhat afford both hobbies haha. I want... I mean NEED 35's now after drooling over your jeep. Stance is dead on

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.