VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #136
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modstock View Post
I run an arc cuz I cant afford a big mig . works great for the thick stuff. Arc welding seems like a lost art nowadays .
Diggin the new lift .
Yea, arc is the only thing I have any experience with, and even then thats not much. And thanks!

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #137
gasperooch
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I just read this whole thread and I have to hand it to you I feel a lot smarter for it. Your build has been quick and it looks really good. I hope to do a build over the next year but I'm a starving student/father/husband haha. Anyway, keep the updates coming. I dig it like a shovel.
gasperooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #138
gasperooch
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Also do you mind if I ask how you lifted the white (92?) XJ? You mentioned how cheap the whole build was but I was curious to know more about it. If there is another thread for that build could you just point me that direction so I don't bug you with a bunch of questions about it?
gasperooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #139
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I hate you and you 29 spline goodness.

Sent from my black box in my silver pos box
Luke95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #140
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasperooch View Post
I just read this whole thread and I have to hand it to you I feel a lot smarter for it. Your build has been quick and it looks really good. I hope to do a build over the next year but I'm a starving student/father/husband haha. Anyway, keep the updates coming. I dig it like a shovel.
Thanks man! Im just warming up with this one, although the rest of the plans will be a bit more tedious. Im a father/husband as well so I keep things pretty budget minded myself, but luckily my intentions with the build dont necessarily require a huge budget. Im just trying to tailor the Jeep to my needs, not so much the "bigger is better" trend. I one day hope to be able to call it an expedition rig of sorts, but I have lots more to do before that.

As for that white XJ ('96 btw), it was my first and Im almost ashamed to say how it was lifted haha. I built 3.25" spacers out of 2.25" ID steel pipe, welded to a big washer to seat the spring. Rear was 2" blocks for a couple weeks til I got my donor s10 leafs to build a bastard pack. Ran stock shocks, spaced up with a ton of nuts and long bolts. It was ghetto-fabulous but I had the time of my life with it. Wheeled the crap out of it, blew out d30 spider gears and busted the 27spl 8.25 after 33s and a lotta throttle. Nothing special about it but I miss it sometimes.

For fun, same Jeep flexin on 235's. Next pic is after 33s, tore down mid swap (put in 29 spline).

Kinda hi-jacking my own thread here but that Jeep never got a build thread due to all the ghetto hackjob it started with lol
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #141
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude that is fawked. But it works!
Did the 8.25 mod and the trackbar and errrmahhhgahd cant wait to put the axle in.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #142
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Dude that is fawked. But it works!
Did the 8.25 mod and the trackbar and errrmahhhgahd cant wait to put the axle in.
Good deal, 8.25 is a much better rear end for sure. Shouldnt blow that on 235s haha.

Im at a bit of a standstill on my build til the weather gets better. Pretty happy with my current setup, I would trust it to drive the 2hr road trip to LBL to wheel and come back home without any trouble. It has been so great to drive.

I need to order a .75" shackle, then I can gather materials to start building sliders. I dont wanna spend my first big wheeling trip *****footing around cause Im worried bout putting my rockers into the doors.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #143
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT

Good deal, 8.25 is a much better rear end for sure. Shouldnt blow that on 235s haha.

Im at a bit of a standstill on my build til the weather gets better. Pretty happy with my current setup, I would trust it to drive the 2hr road trip to LBL to wheel and come back home without any trouble. It has been so great to drive.

I need to order a .75" shackle, then I can gather materials to start building sliders. I dont wanna spend my first big wheeling trip *****footing around cause Im worried bout putting my rockers into the doors.
Shackle relocators and an inch shackle
Maybe an Aussie?

Sent from under my broken Heep
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #144
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Get them built! Never trust rocks, not after they ate my door lmao
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #145
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Get them built! Never trust rocks, not after they ate my door lmao
Haha I saw that. Thats a big reason why Im pushing for getting sliders done ASAP.

@Luke95,
I plan to eventually go with relocation brackets, but want to pick up a little longer shackle first and go from there. Once it warms up Ill be getting to work on the fun part of the build. Straying away from bolt-ons and building everything. Cant wait to get started.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #146
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Haha I saw that. Thats a big reason why Im pushing for getting sliders done ASAP.
Haha right.
Im ordering rigid co's sliders next week, gonna cut out that dent and patch that door. The sliders should hide the rocker dents.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #147
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Haha right.
Im ordering rigid co's sliders next week, gonna cut out that dent and patch that door. The sliders should hide the rocker dents.
Yea, I mainly want them now before I bang things up to make install go smoother. Im just trying to decide how I want to build them. I want them stuck out enough to give me some door protection, but I dont really have access to a tubing bender, so I may opt to build them out of 2x4 to get a little extra protection. I still gotta figure out who Ill be getting the steel from as well, got a couple places in mind.

After that it will be time for bumper builds. Cant decide if I wanna do something tucked up nice and tight or build out enough to do a single hoop. I NEED to build a rear bumper more than anything though, and when I do I will be mounting them via rectangle tubing inside the rail. Thats the only way Ill feel comfortable tugging on it I believe.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #148
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not exactly build related, but since I cut into the Jeep fund it sort of is...

... bought a new carry piece today.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #149
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Guns and Jeeps go together well.
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #150
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Guns and Jeeps go together well.
Match made in heaven for sure!
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.