VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 32 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #466 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
I'm all about saving money. I would rather take the 1/2 step(LSD) vs. The locker(which has potential to break things). I'd go full lock, f&r, w/bigger axles if it weren't a dd.


D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #467 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM
alexrule123
Registered User
 
alexrule123's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8

Oh, you can beat that feeling. Laughing at a broken axle shaft, when the victim wasn't even on a tough part of a trail.
Or laughing at an LSD rig that lifted one tire off the ground and now acts like it has an open diff.

Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited: My Build Thread
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline  
post #468 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
VegasGT
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I'm all about saving money. I would rather take the 1/2 step(LSD) vs. The locker(which has potential to break things). I'd go full lock, f&r, w/bigger axles if it weren't a dd.
Im not too worried about breakage on 32's. Ive got trail spares if I do though. I wouldnt waste money on an LSD honestly.

- '88 MJ Pioneer -
Build In Progress
- '04 Sierra Z71 Crew Cab -
Daily/TowPig
VegasGT is offline  
post #469 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post

Or laughing at an LSD rig that lifted one tire off the ground and now acts like it has an open diff.
I see where this is a possibility, but a little tug, and I can drive away instead of pulling out the hi-lift and spare shaft.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #470 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
VegasGT
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Or laughing at an LSD rig that lifted one tire off the ground and now acts like it has an open diff.
So true.

- '88 MJ Pioneer -
Build In Progress
- '04 Sierra Z71 Crew Cab -
Daily/TowPig
VegasGT is offline  
post #471 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
I have to admit, I don't need the locker. You guys wheel way more and way harder than I do. You're probably better off with a locker, but how many shafts are you willing to break. At some point you realize 'I coulda bought a bigger axle with how much I've spent on this D30.'

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #472 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
VegasGT
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I have to admit, I don't need the locker. You guys wheel way more and way harder than I do. You're probably better off with a locker, but how many shafts are you willing to break. At some point you realize 'I coulda bought a bigger axle with how much I've spent on this D30.'
We are not talking about a D35 here, man. Theres plenty of people running locked 30's very reliably, even ibjeepins only broke a couple shafts running 35's. Breakages happen but I wouldnt consider a d30 to be a weak axle within reasonable tire size.

- '88 MJ Pioneer -
Build In Progress
- '04 Sierra Z71 Crew Cab -
Daily/TowPig
VegasGT is offline  
post #473 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

We are not talking about a D35 here, man. Theres plenty of people running locked 30's very reliably, even ibjeepins only broke a couple shafts running 35's. Breakages happen but I wouldnt consider a d30 to be a weak axle within reasonable tire size.
There are a lot of experiences I haven't had. I don't wheel my rig lookin' to push it to its limits. I find my joy in showing up the non-Jeeps, which is pretty easy wheelin'.
If it makes you feel better, I'd say you talked me out of wasting the $ on an LSD

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #474 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
VegasGT
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
There are a lot of experiences I haven't had. I don't wheel my rig lookin' to push it to its limits. I find my joy in showing up the non-Jeeps, which is pretty easy wheelin'.
If it makes you feel better, I'd say you talked me out of wasting the $ on an LSD
Its all good man, my main motivation is the guys I wheel with are locked f/r, and having open diffs has really made certain obstacles a lot harder than they should be. So I have been long overdue a good locker lol

- '88 MJ Pioneer -
Build In Progress
- '04 Sierra Z71 Crew Cab -
Daily/TowPig
VegasGT is offline  
post #475 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
On a '60's Bronco w/ 9"rear & D44 front, is the front diff on the correct side for an XJ.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #476 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
VegasGT
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
On a '60's Bronco w/ 9"rear & D44 front, is the front diff on the correct side for an XJ.
Not sure on that one.

- '88 MJ Pioneer -
Build In Progress
- '04 Sierra Z71 Crew Cab -
Daily/TowPig
VegasGT is offline  
post #477 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
forumrunner_20130328_191827.jpg

On one like this... I found 1 I may be able to buy.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #478 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Luke95
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harwinton
Posts: 5,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123

Or laughing at an LSD rig that lifted one tire off the ground and now acts like it has an open diff.
This. I'd rather break shafts then get pussed ad floor it and break other stuff
And as far as as many shafts I don't have a problem I get them at work for $5 a peice or $40 with a good unit bearing

Sent from my xj

5.2 ZJ Pushing a dana 30 as far as it will go.
Luke95 is offline  
post #479 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Spokes
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
This. I'd rather break shafts then get pussed ad floor it and break other stuff

Sent from my xj
self control my friend haha ill try anything in my jeep. but if i no its not going to happen i just drive away. because i always remind myself that i need to drive it to school,work,gf,food,and anywhere else i plan on going


...well i did get my limabean good to go now so its less of a DD but still haha



oh and yes the bronco rears should work. just make sure they 44 wedges arent cast! other wise you should be good! the cast were in the late 70s though but still double check!


Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline  
post #480 of 2859 Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

self control my friend haha ill try anything in my jeep. but if i no its not going to happen i just drive away. because i always remind myself that i need to drive it to school,work,gf,food,and anywhere else i plan on going

...well i did get my limabean good to go now so its less of a DD but still haha

oh and yes the bronco rears should work. just make sure they 44 wedges arent cast! other wise you should be good! the cast were in the late 70s though but still double check!
No, I wanna know about the front diff being on the proper side?.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome