Vacation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Vacation

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
nhcruffler
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Vacation

We are planning a 2400 mile trip next month with the 97 Cherokee 4.0. It will be loaded down with three adults, a dog and a bunch of camping gear. I plan on putting one of those hard sided cargo boxes onto the top to make more room inside. My question is will it be ok to go down the highway in overdrive? I ask due to the wind resistance and not wanting to hurt the transmission. On some of the steep ( New England steep , not Colorado steep ) hills I would take it out of OD anyways. Appreciate your imput. Happy Jeepin

Last edited by nhcruffler; 05-01-2014 at 09:31 AM..
nhcruffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You should be fine driving in overdrive, since at highway speeds the engine RPM should be within the power band of the engine. If it seems to constantly be downshifting, you might want to run in 3rd gear. Otherwise you should be fine.

Before the trip I'd make sure all fluids are in good condition, and you might want to install a transmission cooler for additional cooling.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
nhcruffler
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That is about what I was thinking jeepkido3. I have the trans cooler and figured I would change the oil, check anti freeze, and change the trans fluid. Last time I changed the transmission fluid I simply drained what I could and topped it off with a Lucas transmission fluid conditioner / additive and tranny fluid. Anything wrong with that or do I NEED to take it to the shop and have them do it? Seems that in the past when I changed the filter on a couple of transmissions there was never any dirt/ crud in the filter so I am inclined to just change the fluid. NH
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The filter on the AW4 is just a screen, so I wouldn't worry about changing the filter. As far as the fluid you don't need to go to a shop, in fact a shop would probably screw up and put the wrong fluid in it.

Personally, I wouldn't use any additives in the fluid, especially Lucas additives. Just do a couple drain and fills of the trans fluid with Dex/Merc III compatible fluid ONLY. I use Autozone Dex/Merc in mine and a few other Cherokees I service without issue. It is branded as Autozone but is really just Coastal fluid sold to Autozone.

Each time you drain the trans fluid you will take out between 2.5 and 3 quarts of fluid. What I usually do is use a measuring container and put back the same amount of fluid that came out. Drive around the block and repeat the process. If you do this 3 times you will have changed most of the fluid. Make sure when you check the fluid you do so after the Jeep has been driven for 10 miles or so. Shift the gear selector through all of the gears and then check the fluid level with the engine running in park.

You may want to do a drain and fill of the coolant if it has been awhile, otherwise you should be fine if the cooling system is in good working order.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
nhcruffler
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for going over this with me Jeepkid03. Just installed new radiator and fluid last Summer so should be good to go. I was thinking of doing the multiple trans fluid changes just like you described. Good to know I was on the right track. I think that this is going to be a memorable vacation. Driving from NewHampshire to White Fish Bay on Lake Superior. NH

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.