UTI? Tech job - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > UTI? Tech job

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
jeep3000gt
1994 XJ Cherokee 

UTI? Tech job

ok so i know there are a few threads out there about uti but it seems like alot of the people posting in those threads have not gone there or are currently a tech. my question is i am wondering if uti is a good option to go through to get a good paying tech job?

basically i want to work a dealership job as a tech, and correct me if i am wrong but an entry level tech at a dealer makes any where from $25,000-$40,000 a year? i dont mind turning wrenches i love working and fixing cars, not just my own, im excited and look forward to fixing others cars as well. the thing is i dont want to work at jiffy lube or Americas tire forever. i want a job that you can make a career out of and support a family.

is uti the best way to go about landing a job doing this? alot of people bash it but i dont mind busting A** in school and trying to get everything out of it. also they have dealership partner ship programs.

i would love to hear from people who went there or are currently dealership techs.

jeep3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
jeep3000gt
1994 XJ Cherokee 

also please no UTI drop outs or people who took 2 classes and left because they feel they knew everything. i understand the first few classes are going to be easy because alot of people have no clue how and engine or transmission even works, they have to teach you the basics before going into more complex classes

I have taken about 8 auto classes at my community college and learned alot but when i read over UTI's class descriptions i feel like i would learn alot more there, and i dont mind spending the $30,000 if it gives you a great chance at landing a job as a tech at a dealer, making between $25,000 and $40,000 a year.

i would love to hear from some people who are currently working as a dealership tech.
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Boogalooper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I start taking my classes next month, and after a few years (it's a 2 year course then I'm taking a 1 year collision repair course) I plan on going to either UTI or Wyotech to get further knowledge, and as the others have said I would like to hear from someone who has gone to a better school and what they're up to now.

1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer
Boogalooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
pentastar01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, listen up, DONT GO TO UTI. It's a 30,000 waste of time. You can get almost the same program from a community college for a third of the money(as I would have seen had I read your secone post). Secondly, read that brochure again, UTI does not guarentee employment.

And not that I'm trying to sound like Mr. BuzzKillington but when you start at a dealership, no matter how much schooling you have, if you have no previous experience you start at the bottom. Making, if your lucky, 12 dollars an hour. And at that level if your not in the quick-lube dumping oil all day your doing menial customer complaints(i.e. wind noise, water leaks, random squeaks on certain roads, or the popular "My headlights aren't as bright as the next guys".) Not that that's a bad thing, everybody has to start somewhere, and if they see you are good with a wrench they will give you more work. Bearing in mind you have you model-specific training. Lots of companies require and tech that does warranty work to be trained in their product. And trust me, you won't be getting ANY good paying customer jobs at the bottom.

And while I'm not currently at a dealership I have worked at one before so what you have read isn't complete BS.

And for the record, if I had to choose I'd choose WyoTech, heard much better things that UTI.
Unread 07-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
jeep3000gt
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply. I have to disagree with the statement that you can get the same education at a community college. I have taken plenty of community college auto classes and did real well but uti offers alot more classes that go way more in depth. Im still not sure what to do. I know you have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top but uti does offer dealer partner ship programs. After the 1 year of auto classes you can take one of those and they train you specifically on one brand let's say nissan, and the classes r designed from Nissan and you earn dealership certs. I think if you went that far and applied at a Nissan dealer you wouldnt stay on the lube rack long. I plan on getting a part time job at a dealer while going there (If i go) so they can see I have good work ethic and can do more than change oil. Anyone here graduated uti and currently work as a tech at a dealer.

Also if uti is not the right way to go what is? I want to b a tech at a dealer and I'm pretty much done with all the auto classes at my community college.
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

My friend went to uti.

Nailed a bmw job right away.. then dropped them for a better job at a jaguar dealership. So id say its worth it.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Toddone

I currently work at a dealership and from my experience they all pretty much operate the same. To be honest I wouldnt waste my money on UTI or Wyotech. Dealers are only concerned about the all mighty dollar. Production has to be high while retaining a high customer satisfaction with no comebacks. Dealers have there own training. They dont care what you have extra unless it benefits the dealer. Got a bunch of ASE's but work for Asian dealer, not really gonna help you however might get you an interview. The hard part with no experience is getting in the door. Too many times I have seen a car wash guy turn into a lube tech take a bunch of tests and eventually make a good tech. In my 15 or so years experience in the industry, I would say save your money and get a job in the industry, Lube center, firestone, pepboys, ect get a little experience behind you and learn how to turn out work. Most dealers pay flat rate. So you see production is key. My pay has been cut twice in the last three years. What i am paid hourly hasn't changed, the time they pay me to do a job has changed. So now I have to do more work to make the same money. Making 50K today is not as easy as it was 10 years ago. I am a master tech and I have seen alot of new techs come and go, from UTI and Wyotech and many,many shadetrees. It takes a certain kinda person to do this job. You have to love to work on cars. Fix them right the first time and do it fast. You will struggle starting out at a dealer, with or without the 30g UTI education. Once you get your foot in the door, work hard an dont ***** about it. good luck
Toddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
pentastar01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep3000gt View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have to disagree with the statement that you can get the same education at a community college. I have taken plenty of community college auto classes and did real well but uti offers alot more classes that go way more in depth. Im still not sure what to do. I know you have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top but uti does offer dealer partner ship programs. After the 1 year of auto classes you can take one of those and they train you specifically on one brand let's say nissan, and the classes r designed from Nissan and you earn dealership certs. I think if you went that far and applied at a Nissan dealer you wouldnt stay on the lube rack long. I plan on getting a part time job at a dealer while going there (If i go) so they can see I have good work ethic and can do more than change oil. Anyone here graduated uti and currently work as a tech at a dealer.

Also if uti is not the right way to go what is? I want to b a tech at a dealer and I'm pretty much done with all the auto classes at my community college.
You are right to a certain extent about UTI offering more in-depth courses. And I'm glad you brought up about dealership partner programs because that's actually what I took. Went two years to community college but with a Chrysler-sponsored program, left the auto portion of the course Level 3 certified in all skill areas(which allows you to do warranty work, making your service manager real happy). There are many other schools that offer dealership-sponsored programs. And your probaly right, if you put forth the effort and show your progressing they'll probaly take you off the lube rack, but don't take my word for it that depends on the shop, the manager, and the amount of business.

All I'm saying is to weigh your options. If it were my money, I'd finish the community college thing, and look into transfering those credits into a 4-year school that does have a dealer-sponsored program. At least then, if you spent 30 thousand in schooling you have masters degree to fall back on rather than leaving UTI with just a certificate.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.