Using Old XJ Alternator as a Motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Using Old XJ Alternator as a Motor

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
korneld

Using Old XJ Alternator as a Motor

I just pulled my alternator, the bearing started to go. Got a new one, installed it, but now I'm thinking to keep the old one and play with it.

You see people applying voltage to their alternators on YouTube and they run just fine. I can't get it to work though. I hook up my hot lead to the terminal and I attach the ground to the housing and nothing happens. What am I missing here? I've tried 12 and 24 volts from car batteries. Btw, it should work without the coil inside energized. This is according to the videos anyway.

korneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Apparently there is more to it that just hooking up power... One site I Googled (I am NOT an engineer and have NEVER tried this) implied there are internal mods that need to be done, along with external controllers. They also used 36 volts to get it to work.
FWIW, I Googled "alternator as a motor".

Good luck!
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, won't work. You can supply 12 volts to a GENERATOR, and it will turn (but very weak.) But not an alternator. They just don't work that way.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I was having my doubts, but hey, it's on the Internet so it must be true
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ya, it's definitely not as simple as just throwing the alternator on the belt.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.