Upgrading lift on 92 xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Upgrading lift on 92 xj

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
mossyoak95

Upgrading lift on 92 xj

I have a 4.5 lift on my cherokee on it now but just got out of high school so have more time to put into it wanting to upgrade to a 6 inch lift what all needs to be done to upgrade without buying a new lift?

mossyoak95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Coil spacers and longer shackles or new rear leafs
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
mossyoak95

Anything else starting to run it a lot in the trails I was think new shocks too any suggestions on what kind
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
ShaysXJnc

You may or may not need new shocks. Call the manufacturer of the lift you have and ask them. This is assuming you got new shocks when you got your lift. If you don't know then I'd go ahead and grab some new for your lift size. I know when I upgraded from a 3in to 5in and I had (old) rough country shocks, I called and was told the shocks I had were ok. I made do until I got a long arm kit and replaced everything.
ShaysXJnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
mossyoak95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaysXJnc
You may or may not need new shocks. Call the manufacturer of the lift you have and ask them. This is assuming you got new shocks when you got your lift. If you don't know then I'd go ahead and grab some new for your lift size. I know when I upgraded from a 3in to 5in and I had (old) rough country shocks, I called and was told the shocks I had were ok. I made do until I got a long arm kit and replaced everything.
That's what I really want to end up with is a full 6 long arm
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
ShaysXJnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak95 View Post

That's what I really want to end up with is a full 6 long arm
Call and make sure they're ok for the time being. As long as they are, get some spacers and shackles. Make sure your lower control arms are long enough...they probably aren't. It would help if you told us what lift you have on it now. IMO if you want to do a long arm in the future, go for a 6in short arm kit and buy the long arm upgrade later. That way you aren't buying too many things over again.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
mossyoak95

It's the rough country 4.5 normal but I have upgraded the upper control arms to adjustable one trying to fix a death wobble
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
ShaysXJnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak95 View Post
It's the rough country 4.5 normal but I have upgraded the upper control arms to adjustable one trying to fix a death wobble
I was pretty much in your situation before the long arm kit. I would get the RC 6in short arm kit and then get the long arm upgrade kit later. That's what I did. Also grab the slip yoke eliminator while you're at it with the short arm kit. It's a little more money up front but it sounds like you plan to do it anyway.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
mossyoak95

That is what I will probably do what about upgrading to heavy duty parts like tie rod ends and such any suggestion on those I know rustys make good ones and IRO does too
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Going from 4.5 to 6 is a big leap and more complicated than just the normal spacer/shackle lift gain. You will need a SYE, new brake lines, trac bar, drag link or pitman arm, possible driveshaft, and some other things that I can't think if because it's 2am. Anyway like some of the others are saying, buy the actual kit. If you don't get the kit at least get new coils instead of adding a spacer. A spacer on a long arm set up is just stupid unless it's ACO's. Why are you wanting to go to 6 anyway?
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
mossyoak95

Because I bought the jeep with the4.5 already on it only paid 1500 for it so I'm looking for a little more lift and wheel travel with out as much fender cutting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.