(Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build. - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > (Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #106
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I lost my motivation with my wrangler and sold it for my cherokee. Luckily my motivation is still going strong with this one. Just wait, the urge to wheel or atleast tinker on it will grow and you will soon have fun with your Jeep again.
Well some **** happened in my life is what really happened. I need to get on it though. The real issue why I haven't messed with it is I have no parts. Once they come in I will start tinkering again. Tinkering usually gets my mind off it all and that's what I want to be doing.

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #107
Hondaryda
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Took me 7 days to install my 4.5" lift and thank god I had a buddy to help me. Moral support is huge especially when everything that could go wrong did. I spent majority of the time cutting rusted bolts and pb blasting everything every 2 hours.
Hondaryda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #108
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaryda View Post
Took me 7 days to install my 4.5" lift and thank god I had a buddy to help me. Moral support is huge especially when everything that could go wrong did. I spent majority of the time cutting rusted bolts and pb blasting everything every 2 hours.
There literally was not one piece I took off or adjusted that didn't have something wrong with it. Worst of all was the rear upper shock mounts. all 4 bolts broke off and I now have my shock mounts going straight up through the floor haha.

More of my time was spent scratching my head and cursing Chrysler's designer than it was actually getting anything done.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #109
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Iv lifted two xj's and doing a third Monday, at first it was difficult but now they are fun. The rear upper shock bolts are known to break, 1 of mine did but even if all 4 did, just punch the nut through that the broken bolt is in. Once you remove it run a bolt in from the top.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #110
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Iv lifted two xj's and doing a third Monday, at first it was difficult but now they are fun. The rear upper shock bolts are known to break, 1 of mine did but even if all 4 did, just punch the nut through that the broken bolt is in. Once you remove it run a bolt in from the top.
My buddy who helped me might be getting one and we are gonna do it together. I can only imagine how much easier it'll be this time around haha.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #111
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Learned a lesson the hard way today. Always put the E-brake on BEFORE taking the rear driveshaft off. My jeep rolled into a wall and I just narrowly escaped being run over. Luckily the wall was close and I thought quick and rolled with the jeep for about 15 feet. The driveshaft which was still attached at one end whacked me in the arm really good though and it hurts!

I put a CB in today though. Haven't quite figured out how to use the squelch and gain yet though and I still need to mount my mic... Also putting in my Wilson 4G signal booster tomorrow.

Planning on cutting the upper control arms off and cutting off the lower control arm mounts. I'll put up pics of the lift kit and the CB and signal booster up on here when done. Also have to replace my Cadillac's starter and that takes priority so we'll see what happens. Big day tomorrow.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #112
paintball10148
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Woah sketchy dude!!! I think this jeep might want to kill you.... The way I've figured it with the squelch is that If I wanna hear every signal that's available I turn it all the way down but if I turn it up some only the strong signals come through. Get them pics up!! how much was that booster and were did you get it?
paintball10148 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #113
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im glad you made it out ok. Let this be a lesson to you, not only should you always use the e-brake when working under the jeep, use something to chalk the wheels. Wood block, brick, anything. Shove something under there and good the jeep a solid push. Its just not worth getting hurt. I was helping a friend lift his jeep in his gravel driveway. It fell off the jacks however luckily the jack stands caught the Jeep. Things almost got real ugly, real quick. Be safe OP, and everyone else out there. It may look safe but it may not be from different perspectives.
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #114
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Im glad you made it out ok. Let this be a lesson to you, not only should you always use the e-brake when working under the jeep, use something to chalk the wheels. Wood block, brick, anything. Shove something under there and good the jeep a solid push. Its just not worth getting hurt. I was helping a friend lift his jeep in his gravel driveway. It fell off the jacks however luckily the jack stands caught the Jeep. Things almost got real ugly, real quick. Be safe OP, and everyone else out there. It may look safe but it may not be from different perspectives.
I try to be safe I just overlook things all the time. It also doesn't help that I am a bit of a West Virginia backyard mechanic. This time I just overlooked the fact I was on a hill. "oh let me just pop the DS off real quick" turned into "I guess I need a new bumper ASAP"

the bumper is fine actually which I am a bit upset about. I was gonna try and convince my dad to buy me one. That was my first thought after "god my arm hurts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball10148 View Post
Woah sketchy dude!!! I think this jeep might want to kill you.... The way I've figured it with the squelch is that If I wanna hear every signal that's available I turn it all the way down but if I turn it up some only the strong signals come through. Get them pics up!! how much was that booster and were did you get it?
Maybe I need to tune the antenna. I am in a valley and nowhere near any hi-way really so I didn't expect to get any signal come through.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #115
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you're ok. You should definitely put the e-brake on and chock the wheels at a minimum. I usually toss mine up on jackstands whenever I'm doing anything. I learned the hard way as well.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #116
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Glad you're ok. You should definitely put the e-brake on and chock the wheels at a minimum. I usually toss mine up on jackstands whenever I'm doing anything. I learned the hard way as well.
Jack stands are not an option here. That's why I built that wooden platform. If I had a level concrete floored shop I would. Still trying to convince my dad to build me one.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #117
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got my driveshaft last night from tattons and put it under. Drives better now. I took it for a test drive again and took off road for the first time since the lift. It drives a million times better. It used to wobble and tip all over but it feels much more confident than it used to. I'll put up some pics of it all later if I remember to.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #118
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

got some pics finally.

First off here's the CB its self. Mounted it under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. Doesn't get in the way at all. I still have to figure out where to mount the PA speaker and where to mount the mic. I can't have it get in the way of the signal booster and I don't have any place it'll fit... damn compact SUVs.

Here is where I put the whip. I think it looks nice there and it doesn't get in the way. only thing I am worried about is road spray cause of my wide *** tires.

Here's my free double shear drop track bar mount not welded up yet but will be within a couple weeks.

X member mounted up with the long arms. still need adjusted but I track down the road straight and no pull so I thing they may be fine. Those things are damn sturdy too.

Here's just a tiny bit of flex. Front sway bar attached for lack of remembering I can take it off now

And the new drivshaft. I wish I could have gotten that Tatton's sticker off for the window. It's really sticky though! The driveshaft is REALLY robust. greasable spicer u-joints and greasable spline shaft as well. very satisfied customer I recommend him very highly. 260 shipped to my door and it took only 10 days from UT. Beats a woodie in my book!

Once I get my LCA brackets cut off (i know it's taking me forever!) and my steering built (taking it to a jeep guy up in Hagerstown that one of my buddies goes to) I'll get some real flexing pics. How bad does your guys XJs creak and moan when you flex the first time? mine sounds like it's breaking!
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #119
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
got some pics finally.

First off here's the CB its self. Mounted it under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. Doesn't get in the way at all. I still have to figure out where to mount the PA speaker and where to mount the mic. I can't have it get in the way of the signal booster and I don't have any place it'll fit... damn compact SUVs.

Here is where I put the whip. I think it looks nice there and it doesn't get in the way. only thing I am worried about is road spray cause of my wide *** tires.

Here's my free double shear drop track bar mount not welded up yet but will be within a couple weeks.

X member mounted up with the long arms. still need adjusted but I track down the road straight and no pull so I thing they may be fine. Those things are damn sturdy too.

Here's just a tiny bit of flex. Front sway bar attached for lack of remembering I can take it off now

And the new drivshaft. I wish I could have gotten that Tatton's sticker off for the window. It's really sticky though! The driveshaft is REALLY robust. greasable spicer u-joints and greasable spline shaft as well. very satisfied customer I recommend him very highly. 260 shipped to my door and it took only 10 days from UT. Beats a woodie in my book!

Once I get my LCA brackets cut off (i know it's taking me forever!) and my steering built (taking it to a jeep guy up in Hagerstown that one of my buddies goes to) I'll get some real flexing pics. How bad does your guys XJs creak and moan when you flex the first time? mine sounds like it's breaking!
Lookin good man! My leafs squeeked pretty bad after I lifted mine so I took the leaf packs apart and replaced the friction pads. Its a lot better now. Iv thought about a tatton drive shaft, Id get a slip yoke one since I dont have an sye.
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #120
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Lookin good man! My leafs squeeked pretty bad after I lifted mine so I took the leaf packs apart and replaced the friction pads. Its a lot better now. Iv thought about a tatton drive shaft, Id get a slip yoke one since I dont have an sye.
Get the SYE. It is built so much better. And if you ever have to tear down your Tcase it will make it soooo much easier. Or do a H&T SYE. I even have an extra output shaft you can have in case you **** up!
Built Not Bought #666

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.