(Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build. - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > (Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build.

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #151
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
I have an aussie locker in my xj's rear 8.25. The only notable difference based off the picture he posted is the two small dots/holes in the cam gear. Mine doesnt have that. If your spartan is anything like an aussie, the install is a breeze. The install took me and a friend 1.5 hours working very slow. I removed it a second time after 2500mi for an inspection and I had the thing out in 15 minutes then another 15 minutes to reinstall it. Its amazing how simple the design is yet the notable increase in traction offroad.
the two marks are for pins that are only used in installation. or at least one of them is. I didn't put it in cause I figured i'd just let dude-man take care of it while he was in there. I'll probably take it out at some point just to check on it. I never did quite figure out how it works only part of the time though...

As far as the "ratcheting" sound some complain about, I never heard anything. My Jeep is NOT quiet however so it may have that I couldn't hear.

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #152
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
the two marks are for pins that are only used in installation. or at least one of them is. I didn't put it in cause I figured i'd just let dude-man take care of it while he was in there. I'll probably take it out at some point just to check on it. I never did quite figure out how it works only part of the time though...

As far as the "ratcheting" sound some complain about, I never heard anything. My Jeep is NOT quiet however so it may have that I couldn't hear.
My aussie ratchets pretty loud when I turn but I kind of like it. I only removed mine because it started to unlock whenever I took my foot off the gas. Ended up being my e-brake cable snagged something and I had to readjust the rear drums.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #153
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My aussie ratchets pretty loud when I turn but I kind of like it. I only removed mine because it started to unlock whenever I took my foot off the gas. Ended up being my e-brake cable snagged something and I had to readjust the rear drums.
The rear ones seem to do it worse than the front. I'm not building my rear though. I am going to wait to get D60/70 or something with 38s or something. We will see where it takes me.

Once I get steering and a bumper sorted out and maybe switching up to 33s I plan on finding a completely different project to work on and just using the **** out of my Jeep. That or nothing and just trying to get some money saved up before I figure out what to go to school for...
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #154
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

In other news... I took the Jeep on its first off road adventure. It drove over just about everything except one stump that my rear axle tube got hung up and my front was in about a foot deep muddy slop hole.

First off here are the diff covers newly painted since I said I'd put pics up...

And Here is the first try at flexing just as a test. Just a little piece of firewood. No real flex but it let me start small.

Here is a creek crossing. I was aiming for that big rock to the right side of the jeep. I dunno how the hell I ended up that far away from it. It wend through the creek bed like nothing.

****ty picture as my phone died...

Here is some real flex. I still have a LOT more room to flex but I couldn't find any bigger rocks that I could actually get at. It felt great to finally start pushing this thing. I learned quite a bit about approaching things properly today and this rock was a fairly good teacher. Albeit nothing I couldn't have handled stock.

That's all for now. I'll be getting some more up soon. and taking this thing up some better trails this weekend. I was gonna take it down to work but I'll skip that. It's such a gas hog now it's pretty ridiculous. Oh well! Time for a big *** fuel cell. Also thinking of taking everything off the roof and putting it inside (for aerodynamics) and just getting rid of my rear seats. They are overrated anyways. Nobody likes riding back there. I'll have to get something for picking up chicks though (yeah right).
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #155
paintball10148
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Man you're making me all jealous here haha looks really good! I dig the look of the naked roof if you decide to pull all your **** off the top. I did with mine. Sometimes I wish I had held on to my rack just for camping though..
paintball10148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #156
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball10148 View Post
Man you're making me all jealous here haha looks really good! I dig the look of the naked roof if you decide to pull all your **** off the top. I did with mine. Sometimes I wish I had held on to my rack just for camping though..
I really like the way yours looks with nothing up there. I will keep my rails though for traveling and camping. I eventually want to build a full length and width basket when I get a welder and some time and then my stuff will go back.

I really don't know what to do with my spare though if I take it off the roof. I don't wanna do hitch mount cause I already feel *** heavy and I want to keep my bike rack usable. I was thinking maybe getting a hitch extension of some kind and then tying the bike rack into my tire mount but i'm not sure how to do it... I am afraid of how much room it will take up in the trunk as well.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #157
paintball10148
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe you should do a tire carrier/rear bumper. I bet you could extend your hitch mount bike rack passed the tire pretty easily
paintball10148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #158
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball10148 View Post
Maybe you should do a tire carrier/rear bumper. I bet you could extend your hitch mount bike rack passed the tire pretty easily
That's kinda what i'm thinking. I would need a left swinging one cause my bike rack swings right... and they are so damn expensive!

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #159
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I put some pictures of my jeep flexing on my facebook and a couple of friends asked how bad it was broken. :

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #160
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got my first Jeep Wave (that I didn't initiate) today. From a silver JK that was slightly raised.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #161
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Congratulations, I havnt gotten a wave in some time.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #162
tofuzeppelin

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Gas hog? How has it been since the re-gear? Word on the street is 4.56 and 33s are pretty prime.
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #163
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

OP what do you think about doing a rear quarter panel cut and fold?
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #164
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
OP what do you think about doing a rear quarter panel cut and fold?
When I did mine I was really worried about cutting too far and all that but I think it turned out alright. Its really just a matter of patience to make it look really good.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #165
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
Gas hog? How has it been since the re-gear? Word on the street is 4.56 and 33s are pretty prime.
I guess I am just not used to it. I was so used to 55 at around 1500 rpm and now its around 2100 rpm. A new clutch would amost definitely help I have noticed it starting to slip a tiny bit as of late.
Built Not Bought #666

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.