(Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build. - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > (Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #136
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
So you ended up not using a xj or zj front driveshaft for the sye? I have the ax15 as well, thinking about the dirtbound sye/ hack n tap kit with an auto xj front driveshaft. I think its time for one because my slip yoke rubber boot isnt long enough to cover the slip yoke anymore.
Yeah the zj one actually worked to get me down the road but had almost no play. Like I said the quote I got was for 200 something and I got my driveshaft for 260 at the door. It is a lot more roust than the stock front shaft so I would recommend it. If you can make the zj one work then go for it but I don't think it would be as strong.

Sent from under my Jeep.

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #137
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Agreed it would definatly not be as strong. Thanks for the input man, much appreciated.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #138
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Took the jeep up last night to get it regeared I felt like I was dropping my child off. There were 2 other Jeeps there so I told it to have fun at Jeep camp. hahaha
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #139
ramthis426
2005 WK 

When will it be back
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #140
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthis426 View Post
When will it be back
he said hopefully by this weekend. He is also gonna weld by xmember and track bar bracket, try fix the lower track bar mount, remove the LCA brackets and old UCAs cause he has a plasma cutter and stronger air tools, and he is going to do a once over of the whole jeep and make sure that I don't need anything else fixed that I couldn't do.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #141
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got everything done. Welds are kinda sloppy but they look pretty solid and definitely better than I could have done... Waiting on the cross pin retaining bolt and outer axle shaft seals for the rear axle. Napa gave the guy the wrong parts otherwise I would have brought it home today.

Got 4.56s front and rear and my Spartan locker in up front While it was up on the lift I noticed that my steering knuckle huts on my track bar when my axle droops.

Going to give F & S Racing (the place in Hagerstown) a call and see what they can do for me in the way of a tube bumper and a new crossover OTK steering. Also get a quote for a 350 to 383 stroker rebuild and a 700R tranny swapped to 4x4 for my future reference.

I'll put up some pics in a minute...
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #142
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Going to pick up the newly regeared toy tonight well hopefully. The parts had to be gotten from tate chrysler over in frederick but they said they would be in today. Can't wait to see how it drives!

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #143
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got the jeep back today. Drives MUCH better. More power than before the lift now. I may try and go up to 35s if I can get enough for my tires and get some cheap enough.

I badly need my speedo corrected though. When it says I'm doing 75 I'm really doing 55. I'm happy though cause I can figure the rest out from there. I should find my GPS though so I can keep a better eye on it...

The Drag link rubs hits pretty bad on the lower sway bar bracket on the passenger side. Fine for now on the road but definitely needs addressed soon. I may try modifying it myself though and just redoing my alignment since it was easy enough.

ere is a picture of the new front locker carrier and 456s

And the new rear 456s

I would go back out and take some pics of the diff covers on the heep but it's 14* outside and windy. so **** that. Here's the color they are though.

Watching them dry:

Done and waiting to be put on:

The dude got me some nice new chrome bolts for the covers and they look really kickass with the stainless paint. Pics of everything else tomorrow maybe. depends how I'm feeling
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #144
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
I badly need my speedo corrected though. When it says I'm doing 75 I'm really doing 55. I'm happy though cause I can figure the rest out from there. I should find my GPS though so I can keep a better eye on it...
Just download a free app for your phone. There are a ton of them out there. I downloaded a few the other day just to check them out. I think I'm going to make a mount for mine and just run that as my speedo on my motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
The Drag link rubs hits pretty bad on the lower sway bar bracket on the passenger side. Fine for now on the road but definitely needs addressed soon. I may try modifying it myself though and just redoing my alignment since it was easy enough.
There is a REAL easy fix for that..... Just hack off the sway bar brackets and be done with it. Who needs a stinkin swaybar? Mine isn't going back on after the D44/9" swap.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #145
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What lockers again?
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #146
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Check out post #141 . . . Spartan Locker
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #147
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Check out post #141 . . . Spartan Locker
Skimmed right past that thanks for clearing that up. I guess most all auto lockers look similar but that looks just like an aussie.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #148
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

No problem.... Never saw an Aussie in person, but it looks a lot like a lock right too. I had a Spartan in my D30 and picked up a Lock Right for my 8.25, but never installed it. The Spartan design is slightly different and I liked it better. It performed GREAT! I definitely recommend them.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #149
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No problem.... Never saw an Aussie in person, but it looks a lot like a lock right too. I had a Spartan in my D30 and picked up a Lock Right for my 8.25, but never installed it. The Spartan design is slightly different and I liked it better. It performed GREAT! I definitely recommend them.
I have an aussie locker in my xj's rear 8.25. The only notable difference based off the picture he posted is the two small dots/holes in the cam gear. Mine doesnt have that. If your spartan is anything like an aussie, the install is a breeze. The install took me and a friend 1.5 hours working very slow. I removed it a second time after 2500mi for an inspection and I had the thing out in 15 minutes then another 15 minutes to reinstall it. Its amazing how simple the design is yet the notable increase in traction offroad.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #150
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Just download a free app for your phone. There are a ton of them out there. I downloaded a few the other day just to check them out. I think I'm going to make a mount for mine and just run that as my speedo on my motorcycle.

There is a REAL easy fix for that..... Just hack off the sway bar brackets and be done with it. Who needs a stinkin swaybar? Mine isn't going back on after the D44/9" swap.
Eventually will be doing all of that but I want it for now while I still have an hour long commute. Plus there is nowhere really closer than a few hours to wheel. I'll give it a run around town sometime and see how it does with and without the swaybar though.

That app sounds like a good idea, but I still want to fix it right at some point.
Built Not Bought #666

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.