Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

(Un named so far) 98 Cherokee build.

32K views 501 replies 17 participants last post by  KG8893 
#1 ·
Well i'm starting to compile some parts for my jeep so i figured i should start my build thread. I'm just gonna go ahead and list off everything that i have recieved so far and what i've already done to the jeep. Most of it will be in no order.

This is the first day i got it... or like a week later but all it did was sit in the yard.

Had to take it lightly wheeling :)

After i got it on the road i decided i didn't like the air dam.

I spent a lot of time on this next decision cause i wanted a shift knob like no other. Just cause io have to be original. I finally remembered Petey. so i ripped him a new *** hole and with a few washers and some all-thread and a lock nut and viola!

Then i realised how ****ty the headlights really are. I'm a sucker for sealed beams though. so i had took apart my old caddy's headlight assembly, and with a piece of signpost and some more all-thread i had a new light bar and 2 aux lights. Will put up a pic of this soon and the other things i've done soon!

As for the name, i'm still really undecided. i was thinking Kilroy. open to any suggestions. may be painted in the future so no names based on color.

See less See more
#2 ·
Roof rack with my shovel toolbox and light bar.

ZJ seats from the junkyard. Wish i had a pic of that jeep it was in really great shape! only 130K miles too.

and just a pic of me flexing to see what i can do stock. almost made me not want a lift! i was pretty impressed with my little XJ haha

#8 ·
WEll the plans were gonna be a surprise but since everyone seems so adamant about it...
I'm getting 33x12.5 duratracs mounted on 15x10 bart racing wheels tomorrow.

Ordered and being shipped:
Claytons offroad 4.5'' long arm,
advance adapters SYE,
4.56 gears
Spartan front locker

once i get all this it'll be going to my friends shop to get lifted and geared and cut the fenders.

later (once i save up some more) i'll be getting a bumper, Bedlined floor, front doors removed in spring, and plenty of other things i will think of...

#6 ·
Yea d bad you never listed your plans lol

#11 ·
I just realised who this was hahaha. you already know exaclty what i'm getting... what's a d bad?

so anyways... I got my tires mounted and balanced and delivered to my door the other day. put the XJ up on the jack and mockjed them up. they look pretty big in those fenders!

#10 ·
"start" being the operative word. hahaha. I'm already 5 grand in the hole!

#12 ·
Got my Advance adapters SYE in the mail today and going to get a used ZJ front driveshaft tomorrow morning. I hear the XJ ones are a bit on the short side for an AX15.

Gonna start cutting my fenders after i get the DS tomorrow if it's not raining. will put up pictures when i'm done. Hopefully they will have enough room to squeeze those 33s under there!

#13 ·
Got the Fenders cut yesterday. too much sag in the rear to drive it with the tires on though. Here are some pics. I think it turned out pretty nice other than the paint chips in the back.

I love the way the wide stance looks on Cherokees

Plenty of space up here

Not so much back here...

From the front

#15 ·
what did u cut it with and did u get your drive shaft

#17 ·
paintball10148 said:
Good work so far! Keep it comin
Thanks a bunch glad to see some people following along. Can't ****in wait to get my lift on there it seems like its taking forever! Haha

ramthis426 said:
what did u cut it with and did u get your drive shaft
The rears I did the cut and fold method. They still need some finishing cause the paint chipped and I made a couple small dents. They will be headlined around them though. The fronts I just cut out and then used flapper disc on the angle grinder to refine them. They look really nice if I do say so myself. And yeah I got one but I need to get a zj shaft too cause I dunno if the xj one will be long enough.

#18 ·
Hell yeh I'm following! Especially since our jeeps are the same color :) haha always interesting to see what my jeep would look like if someone else built it.

I hear ya about the lift. I've had my xj over a year now and just lifted it last week... Longest year of my life driving a stock jeep..

#19 ·
Looks good dude. Can't wait for the lift

#20 ·
paintball10148 said:
Hell yeh I'm following! Especially since our jeeps are the same color :) haha always interesting to see what my jeep would look like if someone else built it.

I hear ya about the lift. I've had my xj over a year now and just lifted it last week... Longest year of my life driving a stock jeep..
I have had these plans for this jeep since before It was even for sale hahaha. Well they have changed a bit and I was originally going to do 6.5" of lift... But still. I ordered it almost 3 weeks ago I am starting to get antsy. Clayton needs to hurry up!

#21 ·
Did u get anymore parts yet

Sent from my jeep while driving trying not to wreck reading these stupid Questions you ask

#66 ·
I hear that you work in Hagerstown? Us local guys need to get together and go to big dogs or Rausch Creek or a Jeep Jamboree or something.

In other news... I will be wheeling tomorrow... sorta. :shhh:

pics to come later.

#25 ·
Subscribed and very interested to see this build
Thanks guys. Always good to see some support. Any investors out there? :laugh:

So anyways....

Today i started messing around with the interior. I'm relocating the parking brake to in front of the drivers seat and i shortened the lever by about 2 1/2 inches. Will be cutting a hole for it tomorrow and getting it mounted up. To get it to work i will need to lengthen the cable by about a foot.

I relocated the airbag control module down to under the driver seat which i think is where they originally were in cherokees. The bolts and mounting bracket were already there.

I bought a 40mm ammo can at a gun show last weekend and i started mocking up the final location. It will be a lockbox and hopefully i can get my cupholders to still be there and maybe rear cupholders at the expense of the middle seat (who really wants to ride there anyways?) I think the 40 mm can is going to be about 3X the storage of the old console which i need. It is overflowing with ****.

#26 ·
Ammo can looks very cool! I've thought of doing this myself! I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out and maybe ill get enough inspiration to do mine.

I was thinking of maybe integrating the can into the existing console. Ha now you've got me thinking.

#27 ·
I couldn't quite "integrate it" but i think it turned out alright. If you did a 7.62 ammo can you would fare better with that. I used a 4omm cause i wanted the most storage space possible.
Here are some pics of the finished inside and the relocated parking brake. I may put the shift boot and the cup holders back in but i haven't decided yet.

Here the brake is all sealed up and finalised. I used Rustoleum rust reformer paint to do a base coat and then outdoor extreme weather sealer to keep all the nasties out. I dunno what i would have done if it didn't work.... Those long bolts will be replaced by the way. It's all i had at the time. I used a piece of aluminum as a backing brace so that the brake lever wouldn't rip out the floor.

Here is the ammo can console all finished. It fit's really great in there and it holds a ton more stuff than the old one did. I used the existing bolts for the ACM and put one self tapping screw up front to keep it from shaking and wobbling.

Also changed my shift nob back. Petey was getting kinda bitey. I still need to do some work on the parking brake cable to get it functioning. My tension adjustor bolt is siezed and i don't want to break it so i'll be picking up one of those fence tensioner things and getting a new piece of wire to complete the line. I got a bracket mounted to the frame to hold the cable but i still need to extend the line. Pics tomorrow when it's done.

#28 ·
This is gunna be a really stupid question, but when you put your seat back in how will it line up with the new E brake location? But cool build tho man, ill throw down a lil bit for a membership if that helps to keep you on here and doin stuff?

#29 ·
tofuzeppelin said:
This is gunna be a really stupid question, but when you put your seat back in how will it line up with the new E brake location? But cool build tho man, ill throw down a lil bit for a membership if that helps to keep you on here and doin stuff?
I love you. Hahahahaha

I'll snap a picture of the e brake all finished later. It still needs to be adjusted slightly to work properly. It doesn't get in the way of my feet at all except a tiny bit getting out when it is up. But nothing I won't get used to. The only thing I have to do is to get the cover and button on cause the metal is kinda sharp. When I shortened it I cut off the part that holds the button on the end.

#30 ·
This here is the new redirected parking brake line. It is stiull for some reason not working quite right. It is not slipping or anything. the problem i was having before was that the brace i made was flexing under the stress but it isn't any more. how much can i adjust it before it is constantly dragging? that's what i'm afraid of.

Here is the inside of the jeep as requested. I sit with the seat all the way back so as long as i drive the jeep i don't have to worry about the brake working. if a short person drove it i may have an issue cause the engine will not hold the jeep on a steep hill. :2thumbsup:

#32 ·
I'm so confused Wtf are you trying to do lol bit still interesting :eek:

#34 ·
That's what will be in the head of the next guy who rear ends me haha

I'm so confused Wtf are you trying to do lol bit still interesting :eek:
Trying to get the parking brake to work properly now. I put a 40MM ammo can in so i would have more storage but the brake was in the way. so i moved it. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.