Tuff Country Lift with Leaf Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tuff Country Lift with Leaf Springs?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Tuff Country Lift with Leaf Springs?

So I am HIGHLY considering lifting my 95 XJ and I found a Tuff Country 3.5" lift with rear leafs for $349.99 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tuff-co...tuf-43802.html). I've been reading A LOT of negative reviews on the TC lift kits on here, but mainly due to the fact that they use blocks in the rear. This kit has rear leaf springs, soooo, is it still crap? This is my daily driver so ride quality is more important than flex and offroad capabilty.

Also, how much more capable would a 3.5" lift make it...for trails in Colorado?

Muddblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood
So I am HIGHLY considering lifting my 95 XJ and I found a Tuff Country 3.5" lift with rear leafs for $349.99 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tuff-co...tuf-43802.html). I've been reading A LOT of negative reviews on the TC lift kits on here, but mainly due to the fact that they use blocks in the rear. This kit has rear leaf springs, soooo, is it still crap? This is my daily driver so ride quality is more important than flex and offroad capabilty. Also, how much more capable would a 3.5" lift make it...for trails in Colorado?
I had replaced a tuff country lift on my XJ with RE. My Xj rides much better and works much better offroad also. As for how it will handle Colorado trails. It'll do fine Tuff country is out of Utah (10 minutes from my house ) Utah and Colorado wheeling areas are pretty much identical.
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent, thanks. This will be my 1st ever lifted vehicle (as well as first INSTALL), so I am excited, yet nervous at the same time. I HOPE the Tuff Country will not disappoint.

So the lift kit arrived today and it came with Tuff Country shocks, but I did not know this and I ordered a set of Rancho RS5000's (which are already here). Which shocks would be best? Both are white shocks with red boots so they'd look identical, but I am (obviously) more concerned with performance. Here are the specs for each as stated on their boxes:

Rancho RS5000:
Ten-stage velocity sensitive valving
5/8" diameter piston rod
1 3/8" diameter piston
Life time warranty

Tuff Country SX6000:
Twin tube
Engineered for great on and off road performance
Polyurethane bushings
5/8" chrome hardened piston
Lifetime warranty (Really? On shocks?).
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A guy in our wheeling group runs an XJ on 3.5" lift and 31s and it amazes my every time we go. Somehow he always makes it up the same things as us... albeit with a lot more skinny pedal but it's stayed in one piece so far.

Good luck with the install! It was a bear to get my 4.5" lift on my '99 but so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood View Post
Excellent, thanks. This will be my 1st ever lifted vehicle (as well as first INSTALL), so I am excited, yet nervous at the same time. I HOPE the Tuff Country will not disappoint.

So the lift kit arrived today and it came with Tuff Country shocks, but I did not know this and I ordered a set of Rancho RS5000's (which are already here). Which shocks would be best? Both are white shocks with red boots so they'd look identical, but I am (obviously) more concerned with performance. Here are the specs for each as stated on their boxes:

Rancho RS5000:
Ten-stage velocity sensitive valving
5/8" diameter piston rod
1 3/8" diameter piston
Life time warranty

Tuff Country SX6000:
Twin tube
Engineered for great on and off road performance
Polyurethane bushings
5/8" chrome hardened piston
Lifetime warranty (Really? On shocks?).
So here's my thoughts...use the Tuff Country shocks and send the Rancho's back. Why you ask? By sending the Rancho's back, I can use that money for quick disconnects, drop pitman arm, longer SS brake lines. Any thoughts?
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood
So here's my thoughts...use the Tuff Country shocks and send the Rancho's back. Why you ask? By sending the Rancho's back, I can use that money for quick disconnects, drop pitman arm, longer SS brake lines. Any thoughts?
Sounds good to me. Brakes lines and sway disco for sure but I'm skeptical of drop pitman arms. More stress on the steering box is something I'd avoid.

I did buy a tie rod from a v8 grand cherokee as a steering upgrade. Look into that.

Unread 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Sounds good to me. Brakes lines and sway disco for sure but I'm skeptical of drop pitman arms. More stress on the steering box is something I'd avoid.

I did buy a tie rod from a v8 grand cherokee as a steering upgrade. Look into that.

So I am EXTREMELY new to modifying Jeeps...why are you skeptical of the drop pitman arm? How would it add more stress on the steering box? From what I've read (and it's not a lot) the drop pitman arm will correct steering angle and reduce/eliminate steering wobble on lifted Jeeps. I'd love to put the money and effort into something more useful.

How is the ZJ tie rod an upgrade? Is it thicker? I will definitely research that!!
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, kit is on, new 31x10.50 Goodyear Wranlger Authority (walmart) tires on stock YJ "canyon" rims. She rides SOOOOOOO much better and looks mean as hell. I just used the Tuff country shocks and sent my Rancho's back; awaiting my refund for the brake lines. No noticable vibrations and no rubbing, so I am quite happy . Even looks like the tires will tuck in the fenders rather than destroy them when flexing.

Also picked up a set of (used) JKS front sway bar disconnects for $50. I've not put them on yet, mostly due the fear of ripping my brake hoses apart. Just completely removed the rear sway bar (although I am considering an upgrade and quick disconnects).

Unread 11-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood View Post
Well, kit is on, new 31x10.50 Goodyear Wranlger Authority (walmart) tires on stock YJ "canyon" rims. She rides SOOOOOOO much better and looks mean as hell. I just used the Tuff country shocks and sent my Rancho's back; awaiting my refund for the brake lines. No noticable vibrations and no rubbing, so I am quite happy . Even looks like the tires will tuck in the fenders rather than destroy them when flexing.

Also picked up a set of (used) JKS front sway bar disconnects for $50. I've not put them on yet, mostly due the fear of ripping my brake hoses apart. Just completely removed the rear sway bar (although I am considering an upgrade and quick disconnects).
That looks sweet

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
rick_rob
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How did you get it for 349? It says almost 700 for it.
rick_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=Muddblood;17733129]

I ran a 3.5" lift on my 91 XJ with 31s and stock brake lines never had an issue when flexing. Put the disco's on and just be mindful of what you're doing. Might work out better anyway as it will make you drive offroad better.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
That looks sweet
Yes...yes it does...I mean thanks! I am quite excited!!!!
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_rob View Post
How did you get it for 349? It says almost 700 for it.
Right place, right time I guess. I was quite...idk...skeptical of the price and the brand, so I started looking around at other (online) shops and yes, it was $400-700, which is why I asked about it here. But, I decided it was one of those "too good to pass up" deals (especially since it came with NEW rear leafs and bushings...and new front lower control arms) and took a chance. I got the kit at www.jeep4x4center.com (aka Morris 4x4). I checked back last week to help a guy on here doing a budget lift and there was no price on this kit and when you click on the link, it send you back to their home page, so Morris 4x4 must have pulled the kit (or Tuff Country was losing too much money...or they realized the could make more??).

Last edited by Muddblood; 11-17-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post

I ran a 3.5" lift on my 91 XJ with 31s and stock brake lines never had an issue when flexing. Put the disco's on and just be mindful of what you're doing. Might work out better anyway as it will make you drive offroad better.
I ripped a brake line on my 1st Cherokee which had a stock lift and 235/75/15's...and I think that was before my quick disconnects. Kinda scary driving 75 miles home with a bolt clamped in a brake line. The brake hoses I think I want are only $100 for all three, and I'd rather not risk it. Guess I could put the quick disco's on and not disconnect till the hoses are on. REALLY hate working on my Jeep at my apt and I don't want to disturb my neighbors by grinding the "bolt" off...not just yet anyway

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.