JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Tuff Country Lift with Leaf Springs? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/tuff-country-lift-leaf-springs-1718482/)

Muddblood 10-24-2013 11:16 AM

Tuff Country Lift with Leaf Springs?
 
So I am HIGHLY considering lifting my 95 XJ and I found a Tuff Country 3.5" lift with rear leafs for $349.99 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tuff-co...tuf-43802.html). I've been reading A LOT of negative reviews on the TC lift kits on here, but mainly due to the fact that they use blocks in the rear. This kit has rear leaf springs, soooo, is it still crap? This is my daily driver so ride quality is more important than flex and offroad capabilty.

Also, how much more capable would a 3.5" lift make it...for trails in Colorado?

Tom95YJ 10-25-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddblood
So I am HIGHLY considering lifting my 95 XJ and I found a Tuff Country 3.5" lift with rear leafs for $349.99 (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tuff-co...tuf-43802.html). I've been reading A LOT of negative reviews on the TC lift kits on here, but mainly due to the fact that they use blocks in the rear. This kit has rear leaf springs, soooo, is it still crap? This is my daily driver so ride quality is more important than flex and offroad capabilty. Also, how much more capable would a 3.5" lift make it...for trails in Colorado?

I had replaced a tuff country lift on my XJ with RE. My Xj rides much better and works much better offroad also. As for how it will handle Colorado trails. It'll do fine Tuff country is out of Utah (10 minutes from my house ) Utah and Colorado wheeling areas are pretty much identical.

Muddblood 11-01-2013 02:45 PM

Excellent, thanks. This will be my 1st ever lifted vehicle (as well as first INSTALL), so I am excited, yet nervous at the same time. I HOPE the Tuff Country will not disappoint.

So the lift kit arrived today and it came with Tuff Country shocks, but I did not know this and I ordered a set of Rancho RS5000's (which are already here). Which shocks would be best? Both are white shocks with red boots so they'd look identical, but I am (obviously) more concerned with performance. Here are the specs for each as stated on their boxes:

Rancho RS5000:
Ten-stage velocity sensitive valving
5/8" diameter piston rod
1 3/8" diameter piston
Life time warranty

Tuff Country SX6000:
Twin tube
Engineered for great on and off road performance
Polyurethane bushings
5/8" chrome hardened piston
Lifetime warranty (Really? On shocks?).

krawler510 11-01-2013 03:49 PM

A guy in our wheeling group runs an XJ on 3.5" lift and 31s and it amazes my every time we go. Somehow he always makes it up the same things as us... albeit with a lot more skinny pedal but it's stayed in one piece so far.

Good luck with the install! It was a bear to get my 4.5" lift on my '99 but so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Muddblood 11-01-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddblood (Post 17352298)
Excellent, thanks. This will be my 1st ever lifted vehicle (as well as first INSTALL), so I am excited, yet nervous at the same time. I HOPE the Tuff Country will not disappoint.

So the lift kit arrived today and it came with Tuff Country shocks, but I did not know this and I ordered a set of Rancho RS5000's (which are already here). Which shocks would be best? Both are white shocks with red boots so they'd look identical, but I am (obviously) more concerned with performance. Here are the specs for each as stated on their boxes:

Rancho RS5000:
Ten-stage velocity sensitive valving
5/8" diameter piston rod
1 3/8" diameter piston
Life time warranty

Tuff Country SX6000:
Twin tube
Engineered for great on and off road performance
Polyurethane bushings
5/8" chrome hardened piston
Lifetime warranty (Really? On shocks?).

So here's my thoughts...use the Tuff Country shocks and send the Rancho's back. Why you ask? By sending the Rancho's back, I can use that money for quick disconnects, drop pitman arm, longer SS brake lines. Any thoughts?

krawler510 11-02-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddblood
So here's my thoughts...use the Tuff Country shocks and send the Rancho's back. Why you ask? By sending the Rancho's back, I can use that money for quick disconnects, drop pitman arm, longer SS brake lines. Any thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Brakes lines and sway disco for sure but I'm skeptical of drop pitman arms. More stress on the steering box is something I'd avoid.

I did buy a tie rod from a v8 grand cherokee as a steering upgrade. Look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Muddblood 11-03-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krawler510 (Post 17366218)
Sounds good to me. Brakes lines and sway disco for sure but I'm skeptical of drop pitman arms. More stress on the steering box is something I'd avoid.

I did buy a tie rod from a v8 grand cherokee as a steering upgrade. Look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

So I am EXTREMELY new to modifying Jeeps...why are you skeptical of the drop pitman arm? How would it add more stress on the steering box? From what I've read (and it's not a lot) the drop pitman arm will correct steering angle and reduce/eliminate steering wobble on lifted Jeeps. I'd love to put the money and effort into something more useful.

How is the ZJ tie rod an upgrade? Is it thicker? I will definitely research that!!

Muddblood 11-15-2013 12:53 PM

Well, kit is on, new 31x10.50 Goodyear Wranlger Authority (walmart) tires on stock YJ "canyon" rims. She rides SOOOOOOO much better and looks mean as hell. I just used the Tuff country shocks and sent my Rancho's back; awaiting my refund for the brake lines. No noticable vibrations and no rubbing, so I am quite happy :). Even looks like the tires will tuck in the fenders rather than destroy them when flexing.

Also picked up a set of (used) JKS front sway bar disconnects for $50. I've not put them on yet, mostly due the fear of ripping my brake hoses apart. Just completely removed the rear sway bar (although I am considering an upgrade and quick disconnects).

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psed4f4a16.jpg

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psb167c336.jpg

DunmerBoy 11-16-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddblood (Post 17733129)
Well, kit is on, new 31x10.50 Goodyear Wranlger Authority (walmart) tires on stock YJ "canyon" rims. She rides SOOOOOOO much better and looks mean as hell. I just used the Tuff country shocks and sent my Rancho's back; awaiting my refund for the brake lines. No noticable vibrations and no rubbing, so I am quite happy :). Even looks like the tires will tuck in the fenders rather than destroy them when flexing.

Also picked up a set of (used) JKS front sway bar disconnects for $50. I've not put them on yet, mostly due the fear of ripping my brake hoses apart. Just completely removed the rear sway bar (although I am considering an upgrade and quick disconnects).

That looks sweet

rick_rob 11-16-2013 05:35 PM

How did you get it for 349? It says almost 700 for it.

91AzXJ 11-16-2013 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=Muddblood;17733129]

Also picked up a set of (used) JKS front sway bar disconnects for $50. I've not put them on yet, mostly due the fear of ripping my brake hoses apart. Just completely removed the rear sway bar (although I am considering an upgrade and quick disconnects).


I ran a 3.5" lift on my 91 XJ with 31s and stock brake lines never had an issue when flexing. Put the disco's on and just be mindful of what you're doing. Might work out better anyway as it will make you drive offroad better.

Muddblood 11-17-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunmerBoy (Post 17758953)
That looks sweet

Yes...yes it does...I mean thanks! I am quite excited!!!!

Muddblood 11-17-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick_rob (Post 17761753)
How did you get it for 349? It says almost 700 for it.

Right place, right time I guess. I was quite...idk...skeptical of the price and the brand, so I started looking around at other (online) shops and yes, it was $400-700, which is why I asked about it here. But, I decided it was one of those "too good to pass up" deals (especially since it came with NEW rear leafs and bushings...and new front lower control arms) and took a chance. I got the kit at www.jeep4x4center.com (aka Morris 4x4). I checked back last week to help a guy on here doing a budget lift and there was no price on this kit and when you click on the link, it send you back to their home page, so Morris 4x4 must have pulled the kit (or Tuff Country was losing too much money...or they realized the could make more??).

Muddblood 11-17-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91AzXJ (Post 17767881)

I ran a 3.5" lift on my 91 XJ with 31s and stock brake lines never had an issue when flexing. Put the disco's on and just be mindful of what you're doing. Might work out better anyway as it will make you drive offroad better.

I ripped a brake line on my 1st Cherokee which had a stock lift and 235/75/15's...and I think that was before my quick disconnects. Kinda scary driving 75 miles home with a bolt clamped in a brake line. The brake hoses I think I want are only $100 for all three, and I'd rather not risk it. Guess I could put the quick disco's on and not disconnect till the hoses are on. REALLY hate working on my Jeep at my apt and I don't want to disturb my neighbors by grinding the "bolt" off...not just yet anyway ;)


The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.