Truck-lite & Rigid LED front end: feedback wanted. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Truck-lite & Rigid LED front end: feedback wanted.

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Truck-lite & Rigid LED front end: feedback wanted.

So i just bought a pair of Truck-lite 5x7 LED headlights. I got tired of barely being able to see in front of me, and i do quite a bit of driving in the dark.
I recently lost an OEM fog light, which had me searching for a fitting upgrade.
1) My original idea was to replace the fogs with these SR-Q Rigid flush mounts.
They would just wire into my existing fog light switch and be pretty much plug-n-play once i got them mounted.

2) Once i got the Rigid SR-Q lights in my hands, i was noticing how close in size they are to the factory turn signals. They're a bit smaller width-wise, so i was thinking of shifting the SR-Q's to the outside and flush-mount installing a bright white running light in the OEM turn signal and having it light in the "parking light" position of the headlight switch.
I would then move the turn signals down to where the OEM fogs are.

3) My other option would be to install them into the grill. This would require a little trimming, but not much. If i went this route (and this is my least favorite right now) i would want to find an improved set of fog lights to go along with the rest of the new LED lighting.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am running a set of full LED tails, so this is just a step towards matching everything up.

2000_XJ_MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If it were me I would put those Rigid lights where the factory fogs are. They will be much more helpful in bad weather. This is why fog lights are mounted close to the ground so they help you see the road lines. If you do mount them in the factory fog location post up some pics. Ive been thinking of doing the same thing and those look perfect size-wise.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thinking that's where i'll start. I can always move them around if necessary. I do like the idea of them as a fog light, but i'm wondering if the high lumen output may not work well with fog. I'm also fairly certain they'll be too bright to run on the road anyways.
If that is the case, then i might move them up to the turn signal location and use them to help clear the passing lanes on the expressways. I'll definitely follow up on this post with pics of whatever i do.
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got my upgraded headlights installed at lunch today. Even had time to use the roll up door to align them nicely.

Also removed the fog light on the passenger side, which hasn't worked in a few months. Once i got it unbolted, i could see a descent amount of water inside.
Kind of looked like a fish tank. Would like to reuse it, but need to figure out where the H2O is getting in. Also realized that the SR-Q lights will not fit where the OEM
fogs sit. The radius at the top angles them down and doesn't allow them to properly flush mount.
Maybe i'll modify the OEM fog lights with an LED bulb and mount the SR-Q's in the lower fascia between the bumper caps.
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
xj2k1
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Can't justify the pricetag for LED headlights(I'm too cheap). One rock and that's a couple hundred bucks down the drain. And rocks are plentiful here in Az.. I went with the Hella H4 conversions, and 55/100w bulbs. Also had to add the auxilary headlight harness. Throws a ton of light for a lot less dough. Replaced my dead/broken/leaking OEM foglights with some no-name chinese lights from a local custom auto lighting shop. Only 100 bucks/pair. And they work great. Had to notch the plastic air dam a little.
new-leds-reduced.jpg   new-leds-ii-reduced.jpg  
xj2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a good setup. I have been eyeing a set of those LED work lights for AUX reverse lights as well. After seeing your post, i might go the same route and swap them in for the OEM fogs.
They seem to get good reviews on Amazon and a pair can be had for about $40. Hard to argue with that.
Still not certain where i should mount the Rigid lights. I'm leaning more towards installing them into the grill now.
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got the LED "work lights" in last week. Made up a couple of brackets so they sit in the same spot as the OEM fogs. Wired them to the OEM wiring with the same plug, so it's nice and clean.

Have to say i am really happy with them for $18 a piece. I bought an extra that i'll add to the rear for a backup light.
Output is good, and when combined with the new LED headlights, there isn't much hiding in front of the Jeep any more.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.