Truck or jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Truck or jeep

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #31
troydg

Ok, the body is fiberglass so the only rust would be on the frame

troydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Compromise and get a cheap Comanche and then swap the front end, dash, and other parts from yours or another XJ like yours. Get a truck that still feels like an XJ!
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg View Post
LOL. The body of the truck is fiberglass? Come on. Is that why a magnet won't stick to it?

You've been given good advice in this thread. Now it's up to you to decide if you want to follow it or not.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
troydg

I thought it was pretty funny too lol and I appreciate all of the info, I don't know much about trucks mostly jeeps that's why I asked you guys.
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg
Crappy the app crashed had a big long explanation but not gonnna rewrite it... Long story short that pickups body is not Fiberglass
infob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
troydg

That's what I was told but I thought it was an odd concept too
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's what I was told but I thought it was an odd concept too

You are being lied to.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #38
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot

You are being lied to.
Agree... There may be a ton of bondo packed in all sorts of places on the body but thats another story and not a fiberglass body
infob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Only production vehicles that their bodies are made of fiberglass that i know of is some sports cars , kit cars and some semi hoods/fenders . Only GM production vehicle i know of that its body was made of fiberglass was the older corvettes . Id run far from that truck and your "Friend" for trying to scam/take advantage of you . If he tried to scam you by telling you the body was fiberglass who knows what else is wrong with the truck aswell .
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #40
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier905 View Post
Only production vehicles that their bodies are made of fiberglass that i know of is some sports cars , kit cars and some semi hoods/fenders . Only GM production vehicle i know of that its body was made of fiberglass was the older corvettes . Id run far from that truck and your "Friend" for trying to scam/take advantage of you . If he tried to scam you by telling you the body was fiberglass who knows what else is wrong with the truck aswell .
It is entirely possible is friend is just an idiot and actually thinks it's fiberglass.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #41
troydg

He's just clueless he's not trying to screw me thats why I came to you guys for answers
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #42
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Corvettes are the only GM Cars that are fiberglass, if its a stepside the bed sides could be fiberglass iirc. But the Cab is steel if a magnet wont stick it had body work
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #43
Rtracy2001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate them so much, more info: has 200,000 miles but the engine was rebuilt and has 100,000 and the tranny has 100,000 as well. Previous owner before my friend put bed liner on it, hence the matte black color. It doesn't have much rust it really just needs some love and I wouldn't be wheeling it very hard. He said he replaced the cv shaft and it has a small block in it.
Don't know about your area, but around here, if it someone puts bedliner on the outside, they are hiding a ton of rust, scratches, mismatched panels, etc. (apparently it is cheaper than doing a paint job).

You have to be really hard on machinery (or stupid) to kill a fuel injected 350 in 100,000 miles. Last one I had to replace was at 167,000 (the P.O. changed the oil like clockwork, every 15K miles or so), my old GMC had 215K on the original when I sold it. (Yeah, I've had a few). Anyway, if the P.O. didn't take care of the engine, you can bet he didn't take care of the axles, suspension, driveshaft, etc. Those will all need maintenance (if you are lucky) or major repair (if your luck is like mine).

As stated, body lifts are bad news. They introduce a lot more body flex into the equation. That may have a plastic-aluminum radiator which will need to be replaced periodically if you wheel it. (The body flexes and the tanks crack). Even a brass radiator can crack when subjected to that stress.

Oh, BTW, 89 Chev with a 350, you can figure about 12-15 hwy, 11-13 city, assuming everything is in good shape. Most report a little over 10 mpg if they don't take care of it.
Rtracy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #44
troydg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtracy2001

Don't know about your area, but around here, if it someone puts bedliner on the outside, they are hiding a ton of rust, scratches, mismatched panels, etc. (apparently it is cheaper than doing a paint job).

You have to be really hard on machinery (or stupid) to kill a fuel injected 350 in 100,000 miles. Last one I had to replace was at 167,000 (the P.O. changed the oil like clockwork, every 15K miles or so), my old GMC had 215K on the original when I sold it. (Yeah, I've had a few). Anyway, if the P.O. didn't take care of the engine, you can bet he didn't take care of the axles, suspension, driveshaft, etc. Those will all need maintenance (if you are lucky) or major repair (if your luck is like mine).

As stated, body lifts are bad news. They introduce a lot more body flex into the equation. That may have a plastic-aluminum radiator which will need to be replaced periodically if you wheel it. (The body flexes and the tanks crack). Even a brass radiator can crack when subjected to that stress.

Oh, BTW, 89 Chev with a 350, you can figure about 12-15 hwy, 11-13 city, assuming everything is in good shape. Most report a little over 10 mpg if they don't take care of it.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #45
Turcsi_Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't ussually comment on threads since I sold my jeep, but doing that trade is the stupidest thing, you would regret it. I regret selling my xj...and my truck is beautiful and problem less. I would still rather be broke and have my problematic xj. Even though most problems were the po not doing the lift right.

Stick with the jeep.
Turcsi_Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.