Truck or jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Truck or jeep

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg
How long are these trucks good for mile wise anyway
It really depends the 350 is a great motor... Treated right and keeping up with maintenance is key for anything... The most reliable motor on earth getting beat up and neglected won't last as long as a poorly built one treated good and well maintained.... It could last 400k miles or it could only make it another 2k miles... My 97 had 290 but it's not really the same as this one

infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

My dad had one of these and those CV shafts would snap not even in 4 low, if you turn and hit the gas it will just blow them. The XJ is just a better vehicle unless you plan on towing stuff...
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
troydg

I mean honestly I couldn't tell you why I want it. He let me drive it today and it was just too much fun. My thinking was that since he would be throwing me over a grand and his truck I could just use the money to fix some **** on it. I just like it lol but I like all of the info you guys are supplying me. Please keep it up! Just let me know what to look for and everything
troydg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Hurley91

I'd have to know more about your jeep. The bed supports look like they're rotted. Body lifts suck. It's going to be worse on gas then your jeep. Pitman and idler arms usually wear out. Can only carry 2 passengers.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg View Post
How long are these trucks good for mile wise anyway

Well, it got it's first motor and tranny at 100,000 miles and now it has 200,000 miles on it. My math skills aren't the best but I would guess it's almost due for another motor and tranny.

PS. As clearly pointed out earlier, that truck has major rust issues. Frame members are rotting. That is significant. The matt black paint is just hiding lots of other rust.

I would run as fast as possible from that truck and this deal.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #21
troydg

99 cherokee sport straight 6 4.0 3 inch rough country lift 147k
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
troydg

Pic
image-8564467.jpg

Unread 10-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #23
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How does your XJ look? It seems like you could sell your XJ and buy a similar truck in better shape.

Wouldn't it be more fun to build from stock anyway?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
troydg

My jeep but it's been modified alittle since and I'm getting a new bumper today
image-3015211155.jpg

Unread 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #25
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

HELL NO don't trade. Giving up a jeep for an old bro truck + money. I wouldn't do it even if he was giving you 2k with the deal. Stay jeep, stay happy, stay broke but don't go old bro truck.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
70s J10 with J20 axles - yard art too
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #26
andygio71
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg
...It has a 3 inch body lift...
Nope nope nope, don't do it

Along with the list of things Tom95YJ pointed out, just a body lift that big (especially on a truck that seems to have a noticeable amount of rust of the frame) is enough to walk away. I don't pretend to be an expert on lifting anything, but it seems to me that your friend took the cheap and easy way to get it in the air. If you get into any sort of moderate or serious accident, that body and frame will probably be getting a divorce, and you can kiss your *** goodbye
andygio71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

If you want a lifted truck go buy one and lift it. It's so stupid easy to throw 35s on a full size pickup that this trade is a complete waste of time for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #28
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It makes no sense to put a new bumper on a vehicle you are going to sell or trade. You might as well just hand the guy some cash because 99% of people buying a jeep don't give a ratz arse about a custom bumper. You're not going to get many positive responses about trading a jeep for a FS PU in a model specific forum.

If you want a truck, get a truck. Like buying any other vehicle, I'd rather do the work on a good platform vehicle myself than inherit somebody's abortion of a rust heap project.
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
troydg

He didnt lift it he bought it as is and has had it for a year but you guys make excellent points on all of this thank you
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

It doesn't look too bad to me , Check the cab corners as their known to rust out alot in those trucks . What looks to be the bed frame/support in picture 4 top looks rough , if that's in as bad as shape id inspect the rest of the frame for rust holes .
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.