Trim and bumper touch up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Trim and bumper touch up

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Trim and bumper touch up

I have plenty of evening time on my hands but no money to do anything big so I decided to do a little cosmetic touch up the other night. The trim was faded to light gray so I got me a few cans of rustoleum flat black and decided to go to town. My front bumper is a custom winch bumper and it is black, the factory rear bumper was red so I decided to paint it black too, to match all around. I used some interior masking tape cause it is what I had and fax paper to do the masking, it worked just fine. I'll tell you what, for about 10 bucks worth of paint this really made a big difference. It made it look so much cleaner and straighter, you ought to do it too if your trim is fading my skill level with paint is about a -4 so if I could do it just about anyone can.

The faded trim

My ametuer masking job

Fresh trim

Old corner

Old scratched up bumper

Scuffed up the old paint

New corner

New bumper

New all around

Unread 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Stang_Man
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Its like night and day!

Looks great, any plans to do the flares too? Mine are bare plastic, I may hit them with Armor-All or some Armor-Dillo to get them looking good until I decide to paint or replace 'em
Stang_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
XJH-007

Looks great!

I used to do this once a year......got sick of all the taping....Now I use Rustoleum Brush on "Satin Black"......no more tape.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I thought about doing the flares, but I dont thik I will they arent scratched up or anything and I like the factory paint look on them.
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

repainting the trim was one of the first things that I did when I got my XJ... but I didn't go my front or rear bumper and now I'm thinking about going back and painting them black like you did. Did you have to primer the bumper or did you just sand the paint off and spray overtop of it?
TreyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just sanded the old paint lightly with 220 grit sandpaper. I heard someone say one time that as long as you arent doing body work that is the best way because everything under the factory paint has already been prepared and will stay on good under the new paint as long as it is scuffed up real good.
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
duckhunter71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome man! I did mine last week. Makes a HUGE difference!

Sent from my ADR6300 using JeepForum
duckhunter71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice! I have this project ahead of me before winter hits.

I tryed the product called Bondo Restore Black. I had to tape off the molding on the doors, and apply about 10 coats. It wasn't perfect but looked good. It is fading after two months, the box claims 6 months before need to re-apply.

I am thinking of a really good de-grease, and then some krylon fusion or whatever that bonds to plastics, and then a UV resistant clear coat. Would give a long lasting, dark look, but would be a PITA to touch up.

Anyways this is one of the best, cheapest and easiest ways to make our Xjs look better.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.