Transmission and transfer case shafts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Transmission and transfer case shafts

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Silent
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission and transfer case shafts

Can anyone tell me if the output shaft on a non 4wd aw4 is the same length as a 4wd aw4? I am trying to find out if I need to get another tranny or can keep mine. That way I can just swap out the input shaft of the transfer case.

Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 2WD and 4WD AW-4s have different main shafts. It's not just a matter of putting the Xfr case adapter in place of the tail shaft housing. Changing the main shaft requires a complete tear down of the trans. It can be done, but it's not really cost-effective. Probably cheaper to get a decent JY 4WD trans.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.