Trans keeps spitting fluid onto my exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Trans keeps spitting fluid onto my exhaust

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
nicksdsm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Trans keeps spitting fluid onto my exhaust

Its happened a few times before but now it's getting old. Next month I have a 5 hour drive each way and I don't want to have this problem anymore.

Yesterday I went on a long drive (2.5 hours each way). I averaged about 70-80 mph, no real hard accelerating and no traffic. My jeep did good on the way down but on the way back, I looked out my rearview and noticed I was smoking really bad. The smoke is coming from trans fluid leaking onto the exhaust pipe and burning. The fluid is less then 6 months old and still looks clean. I checked the level and it's still good. One of the symptoms that tells me it's going to happen is the speedo needle starts bouncing around the actual speed. I think the speedo symptom is caused by fluid getting on something thats suppose to stay dry and it's causing a short. I'm thinking my trans is over heating but I have no idea. Any ideas?

nicksdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You probably need to get under there and find out where it's leaking from or take it to someone who can. It sounds like the o ring on the speedo housing is leaking or is loose.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like your trans is overheating,i have had that happen to me as well do you have a lift on the jeep with bigger tires and no regear?the best thing to do is get an aftermarket trans cooler and bypass the radator mounted trans cooler which helps heat up the trans fluid not cool it like its supposed to.most trans fluids boil at about 315* and we know most jeeps seem to run 210* so there is not to much room for extra heat from long drives at that speed.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
nicksdsm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow I'm going to check out the trans and see if I can find where the fluid is coming from. I'm also going to install a trans cooler. Hopefully whatever it is I can find it.
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've had a similar situation happen to me, I was towing a trailer, and I'm sure that caused my transmission to overheat. My problem was that I had too much transmission fluid in there to begin with.
Check your fluid levels and make sure you're pretty much spot on as far as the trans fluid goes.

When Jeep transmissions get hot and are overfull, they will vent fluid since there's no room for expansion and cause the exact trouble you're describing.
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
nicksdsm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I rechecked the fluid and it is over filled. The fluid looks like it's coming from the front of the trans. Where is the trans vent?
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would get this checked asap.. I have seen 3 rigs encounter flash flames when tranny fluid hits the hot exhaust.. trust me.. it doesn't take long for it to happen and completely take your vehicle!
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksdsm View Post
I rechecked the fluid and it is over filled. The fluid looks like it's coming from the front of the trans. Where is the trans vent?
Vent/breather tube is on top of the transmission. It spills over the whole housing, but would be concentrated on the front part.
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

it makes a real mess when it overheats and goes all over making it hard to pinpoint where its leaking from but sounds like your on to getting it nailed down with the cooler and draining some fluid.
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Drain out a litre of fluid and drive it around for a day. Get it up to temperature then pull the dipstick. This will probably fix your problem.

I have also overfilled when doing the drain/fill/drain/fill/drain/fill gentle fluid change and experienced the same - also coincided with pounding about 8 miles out from a trail head on a gravel road rally style - heated it up fairly good I think.

You CAN blow out the front or rear seal if you drive around for too long with too much ATF - this is a big repair you do not want to do yourself or pay for if all you need to do is get the proper level of fluid in the tranny.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.