tracked xj; needs a tommy lift :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > tracked xj; needs a tommy lift :)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

tracked xj; needs a tommy lift :)

So the tracked xj is doing well link but I want to improve its ability to run remote from the main fish house.

Basically I need a better way to haul the portable fish house on the back; my idea is a tommy lift type solution. Anyone ever seem anything like that on an xj?

Design parameters
- carry about 350lbs of load off the rear bumper on a platform
- platform 72"x50" (this is where the portable goes)
- platform needs to be able to drop 24" with powered raise
- need to be able to open the rear hatch (definitely when lowered / when raised would be a huge plus)
- needs to very quickly and easily go from up (transport mode) to down (fish mode)
- desire is to be able to have it on when attached to the main fish house; but this may be a challenge due to clearance issues (between rear of xj to front of trailer)

Here is a pic of what I mocked up and used last year; my desire is to have this without the support straps and fully automated so I don't have to lift the portable on and off the platform.

[IMG][/IMG]

My current thinking is to have air over hydraulic rams attached to the sides of the rear bumper. Use those rams to raise the platform via a pair of masts with the rams on the inside (think a pair of mini forklift masts at the outer edges of the rear bumper). The end gate would then go inside between the rams and the platform would be attached to the lift side of the masts.

I'd use onboard air to run the rams.
Any thoughts / ideas?

steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is the single greatest thing I have ever seen in my life.

ETA: AND OMG IS HAS THE NP242
Unread 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like this project... ice fishing is nothing I'd consider (at least with the tards that do it in my area with half the lake already melted) but the build is nice. I'll see what I can draw on the computer.
Unread 08-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

On the computer - nothing. I did hand sketch this though...

I'd start with a mechanism like this, then use a smaller atv type winch and pulley/lever system to make the winch do the lifting.. for me to pick the placement would take having the thing in front of me and some experimenting. A couple brackets could be put in place with holes through which the link arms can be pinned into place when it's in the raised position.

Edit- Depending on the location where the winch is mounted you might be able to use full-size 8-10K winch that could be unhooked from the lifting mechanism and used for recovery if the need arises.
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

thx Shadownwpa,

here is what I was thinking (my concern with your design being the amount of lift I need and how far the pivot would push the weight away from the rear of the xj)

[IMG][/IMG]

In the pic above i'm thinking the platform would raise/lower completely vertical. The uprights on the top of the bumper would be outboard of the lift gate (so they would be out of the way for the gate to operate). Assuming i'd need some type of bearings or slides within the upright tubes so the weight of the platform doesn't bind when trying to raise/lower.

Dunno if a hand crank would be quick enough or if I'd want to leverage a winch.

thoughts?
Unread 08-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the vertical slides would have that risk of binding because of the weight to the rear.. good chance side to side as well if it's heavy on one side or the other. With the pivots arms like I drew, depending on how you worked the linkages for the lifting/winch you could probably run it all the way up if you included a bracket to stabilize it for transport.... so if you have (random numbers here) 24" arms and a 2' mounting height that could put you close to 4' ride height with the weight close to the back hatch - but you wouldn't be able to open it in that position. Another thing to consider might be approach and departure angles.
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just follow my logic a second...mount two vertical I beams on the outsides to the bumper/frame. Mount a small winch on the top of the beam with a line going to both sides so the winch will pull both lines at the same time. Mount the box on casters that roll against the inside flanges of the beam. OR you could use a runner with a UHMD (or that slippery plastic) to run against the I beam or channel.
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Just follow my logic a second...mount two vertical I beams on the outsides to the bumper/frame. Mount a small winch on the top of the beam with a line going to both sides so the winch will pull both lines at the same time. Mount the box on casters that roll against the inside flanges of the beam. OR you could use a runner with a UHMD (or that slippery plastic) to run against the I beam or channel.
yah; it'd be like overhead winch dollies on the outside of the bumper

I think the vertical solution would fix well in this application as when in transport mode I want to keep the platform as close to the xj as possible so I have clearance to the fish house well attached. But I believe the trick will be getting a vertical solution that doesn't bind when under load.
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It wont bind if you use the proper bearings and wheels. Think about it-they move huge ships on dry dock on rollers. Taka a look these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...KAQaAm9w8P8HAQ mount 4 of these and maintain good tolerances and you shouldnt have any issues
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
It wont bind if you use the proper bearings and wheels. Think about it-they move huge ships on dry dock on rollers. Taka a look these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...KAQaAm9w8P8HAQ mount 4 of these and maintain good tolerances and you shouldnt have any issues
I'm thinking of significantly less weight on the tail of the xj; but yah, similar concept

maybe more like 2" roller bearings on a 1/2" shaft; but the 1000lb casters could be an option
Unread 08-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yea they were just a quick find.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.