TPS?, no. IAC?, no... look what I found!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > TPS?, no. IAC?, no... look what I found!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

TPS?, no. IAC?, no... look what I found!!!

On my way into work this morning.... got on the freeway, and the throttle stuck open. Stomped on it, that didn't work... pulled up on the pedal, that didn't work. By this time i had to dodge in and out of traffic. I finally turned off the ignition, put it in neutral, and coasted to the side. THAT SUCKED. 30-40 minutes later of pullin on cables, linkage, and inspecting plugs.... I disconnected just about every plug/harness on the throttle body which dropped the rpm's from 4k to about 3k.... which i very carefully limped back to the house with. Turning off the ignition, and putting it back into neutral when coming to a stop light. Got home and hit the forums... all the searches were leading me to a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), or the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC). So after calling around to several parts stores, finally but the bullet and picked both sensors up for $120. Got back to the house, and started to pull off the Throttle body. Upon removing the intake hose, i saw THIS:

Closer look:

Thank you Spectre Air Filters for not securing your fancy name plate!
(i'll be writing a letter tonight for sure)

While i was inspecting the damage (if there was any) i figured i'd clean things up while in there. Cleaned out the throttle body real good, (forgot to take before and after pics of that) and pulled out the IAC for a cleaning anyways. Glad I did!:

That was the before, and here's the after. (Yes its the same part!)

The Jeep idles fine now, however I still have CEL on (prob from driving with all the sensors disconnected.) I'm resetting the ECU now. I did notice though, that when i give it gas, it takes its own sweet time coming back down to idle. Figured that SHOULD drop pretty quick. It takes less that a second to rev up, but takes several seconds to come back down. It DOES do it, just slow and steady. We'll see if resetting the ECU and a drive clears that up or not.
Any thoughts on this?

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
avbcon12

Holy crap!

This is why I never put cheap parts into my cars! Glad you found it and that it was big enought o not get sucked all the way in!
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That sucks I would be pissed. You could've got in an accident or caused one. As far as the sensors. Disconnect the battery for like 15 minutes, then reconnect and let the jeep idle undisturbed until it reaches operating temp. This is how the computer relearns the idle.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After finally figuring out what that was and how it got in there...I definitely won't be putting their crap in my XJ. That stupid little bar is just a nameplate they stick on all of their filters, functioning only as a brand identifier. So stupid.

And yeah, throttle bodies can get pretty nasty. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull it off and clean it up once a year.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sent off a letter to Spectre Performance last night. 5 pages including the pictures form above, and a PDF scan of the original receipt. a little too long to post here. But if you guys want me to, I'll go ahead and post it anyways. In my research, i found several others who had this exact same thing happen to them. A few guys on NAXJA, several Dodge guys from various Dodge forums, and a Chevy blazer guy. ALL had the same B.S. happen to them. One of the guys from NAXJA got a reply back, telling him that they would send him a new filter, one with out a name badge, and they'd pay for the shipping of him sending his old one back.... UNBELIEVABLE! In my letter i told them I thought that it was insulting to offer a customer something he already had... a filter w/o a name plate. I also said I would not be dissuaded so easily. I'm not going to let this go without a fight.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
scavok
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I hope you don't. Freak things happen, I can accept that. But if this has happened multiple times then it is a serious concern that will kill someone eventually and it needs to be taken care of.
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

Where did the name plate go on the filter? Trying to figure out how it got inside of air filter.
carguy68ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It just lays across one of the filter ribs, probably loosely crimped on from the looks of it. Still impressive that it got sucked through the tubing.
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

So now he has a hole in his filter?
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No, it just sits on top. You can see it in the pic:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.883901
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
96-XJ
1972 CJ5 

i remember that somthing like this happened to me in my 1st car a honda. i turned the ignition off while it was moving (stupid i know i was 16 and i panicked) and the steering wheel locked. thank god there was no cars coming the other direction
96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

there was one of these filters in an XJ in the junkyard, with the name plate, how did the name plate get into the air tube? is there a gap in the filter under the name plate? and the plate crimps the filter ends together or something?
i thought about snagging it, but the wire mesh was rusting, and then i remembered this thread.
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The name plate is facing the tube side. The air comes up from the bottom of the box, through the filter, pulls off the name plate, and shoots it into the tube.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

oh so it was a drop in filter?
in the factory box?
or cone?
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

I say bogus thread, no way something that big gets past filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.