Towing a Jeep Cherokee - correct or incorrect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Towing a Jeep Cherokee - correct or incorrect?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
montaron

Towing a Jeep Cherokee - correct or incorrect?

Hey all, just a quick question...

This weekend we went out for dinner, got back into our jeep (1999 or 2000 Cherokee) and the starter was acting up. Bit of troubleshooting (jump, checked fuses & solenoid connection, etc) didn't work and the vehicle was in a 1hr parking zone, so I had to call a late-night towing company to get it towed to our mechanic's lot before morning.

Tow truck came and it was fairly old-school, i.e. rickety. And here's my concern: all the driver did to prep the Jeep for towing was to ask me whether it was set to two wheel drive (it was) rather than 4x. Then he just lifted the back wheels and towed it away with the Jeep still in park (auto transmission) and the front wheels on the ground (steering wheel was strapped).

Granted I know nothing about towing, but it just seemed kinda odd to me - like if it wasn't on a flatbed or front-wheel dolly the vehicle should have been in neutral or something. I'm just having visions of insane wear on the transmission or similar.

The tow truck driver was a nice enough guy but young - I did ask him if this was usual procedure and he replied "Sure is", but it's sure as hell nerve wracking to put your vehicle in the hands of someone else.

Was about a 5 mile tow so nothing long distance. Our shop is busy so they might not get to the Jeep till later in the week, just wanted to get some info in the meantime. The irony being that I have no worry about the starter or whatever issues, it's the tow after the fact that's got me stressing....

Any thoughts?

montaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
husker88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

old- school towing technique would be towing it from the front. I wonder why he didn't throw it into Neutral?
husker88jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
montaron

Yup, I specifically asked on that to double check and he confirmed leave it in park.

He did say if he towed it from the front he'd have to use a dolly to lift all 4 wheels. So I'm guessing that in my case the front wheels were free to roll on the ground if the rears are lifted due to RWD, even though it was in park?
montaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The front wheels spin freely while in 2wd and trans in park. When put into 4wd it locks in the transfer case. That's why when working on the rear of the jeep put the t-case in 4hi and trans in park to lock up the front. If you haven't noticed the front drive shaft will spin while driving but that is only from the front wheels spinning since the hubs are always locked together, the t-case spins freely. T-case and the transmission should be perfectly fine!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montaron View Post
Hey all, just a quick question...
... The irony being that I have no worry about the starter or whatever issues, it's the tow after the fact that's got me stressing....

Any thoughts?
I think he got the job done without hurting your XJ.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Straight from the 1999 Jeep Cherokee owner's manual for both Command-Trac(NP231/NV231) and Select-Trac(NP242/NV242).
"Four-wheel-drive vehicles showed be towed with the front raised and the rear wheels on the ground. Insure that the transfer case is in Neutral (N) and the transmission is either in Park (automatic transmission) or in gear (manual transmission)."

On the next page.
"Vehicles must not be towed with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels lifted due to transfer case damage unless the front axle driveshaft is removed."

The reason for this towing setup is that the rear drive shaft will run the oil pump in the transfer case thus lubricating the internals. The automatic transmission in park and the manual transmission in gear prevents the transfer case from spinning the output shaft of the transmission due to parasitic drag which would be bad since the transmission's oil pump is not running.

Some older Jeep manuals specified that the opposite towing configuration of rear raised and front on the ground was permissible for short distances. I forget the exact numbers, but it was either five or fifteen miles. Over time the recommended restrictions for Jeep towing has been tightened. The 2012 Jeep Wrangler owner's manual states that absolutely no configuration of wheels on the ground is allowed and that all towing must be done on a flat bed.
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As LimeLJ said, the transfer case oil pump on your NP231 transfer case only pumps when the rear output shaft is spinning. What you had going on was that the front driveshaft was turning the front output shaft, which turns the drive chain inside the TC (that does get immersed in fluid at the bottom of the case), and that turns the front drive gear on the output shaft, which isn't being lubricated. That's pretty bad. Damage, if any occurred, should be isolated to the one gear and the output shaft.

How far did it get towed?

At minimum I would do a transfer case flush and get some fresh fluid in there. Dig up the owner's manual, kindly let them know they messed up and that you're concerned about the health of your transfer case, and see if the they will cover it. Worst case scenario, you have to replace the output shaft (which comes as part of a SYE kit anyway ) and/or the front drive gear.
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your Jeep is 2wd, so there isn't even a drive shaft connected to your front axle. Your front wheels will spin freely.
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.