Towing capacity 99 Jeep Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Towing capacity 99 Jeep Cherokee

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
laur99cherokee

Towing capacity 99 Jeep Cherokee

What is the towing capacity of a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4WD sport utility 4.0 liter 6 cyl with a class III hitch?

I'd like tow a travel trailer a long distance that weighs 3780lbs and wondered if my jeep was capable.

laur99cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to jeepforum.
The factory tow rating for an XJ Cherokee is 5,000 lbs and a class II hitch is rated for that as well.
The factory cargo capacity rating for your jeep is 500 lbs. With the ideal tongue weight for a trailer being 10-15% of it's total weight, the tongue weight of the travel trailer you mention will likely just about max out a factory set of rear leaf springs, so you'll probably not want to pull that trailer on stock springs with 4 passengers and a load of gear as well, but should be okay weight-wise if you're running solo or nearly so. You could always beef up the rear leaf packs if more weight capacity is needed.
The biggest challenge for your XJ towing that trailer will be stopping it, particularly in less than ideal conditions such as in rain or on gravel. If the trailer has brakes and you hook up a brake controller for them in your jeep, I think you should be good to go.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have towed a TT that had a dry weight about the same. My XJ has the factory tow set up with aux. cooler, wiring harness w/ 7 pin connector. To trailer weighed aprox. 5000 lbs. at the time due to being loaded with hurricane evacuation gear and such(not my choice here). A weight distributing hitch along with a sway control is a must. The hitch levels out the Jeep, distributing weight front and back. The sway control lessens the the side to side wiggle the trailer will due even at moderate speeds. An adjustable electronic brake controller for the trailer brakes(which the trailer should have) is a must.
Braking and pulling with this load over flat terrain was not a problem. Hills were! The wind is another consideration. The XJ is a very light vehicle considering and not nearly wide enough to tow a TT that size. You must have mirrors extensions wide enough to see around the sides of the trailer in traffic.
Gas mileage went from 20 mpg to 10 mpg while towing (don't use OD while towing).
Good luck.
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

IMO 5000 lbs is an overly generous tow rating for such a light vehicle as the XJ Cherokee. Towing almost 4,000 will be real challenge, especially if you are not skilled and experienced with towing. From experience, I would recommend a larger tow rig for that load.

If you choose to continue:

1) Install a transmission cooler.
2) Use 3rd on the transmission, OD will generate too much heat, even with a cooler.
3) Trailer brakes are not optional.
4) Practice towing before your trip begins.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I would agree with CJ7-Tim. The Cherokee is too light and too narrow for that kind of load. I did it twice out of necessity but will not do again. Lesson learned, and both I and the XJ survived.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.