Tow hooks- OEM or aftermarket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tow hooks- OEM or aftermarket?

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Tow hooks- OEM or aftermarket?

Soon to have the front bumper off of my '97. Looking to add tow hooks. Quadratec sells them made by Rugged Ridge. From the pictures, this set does not have as much reinforcement as the OEM unless there are two more brackets not shown in the picture. Should I go OEM if that is the case? Do not want to trim the plastic bumper either. TIA!http://www.quadratec.com/products/12007_800_07.htm

PimaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I don't believe those are made with inch thick steel plate.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I don't believe those are made with inch thick steel plate.
Perhaps they meant to say 1" wide.
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I questioned that statement about the thickness too. Back to the original query, are the hooks & hardware in the link not as good as OEM? The following picture shows a set with all of the brackets which I understand is the OEM set. Further comments are appreciated!
towhooks.jpg

Unread 08-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

OEM copies all leave out the important reinforcement brackets. The OEM brackets are adequate for light to moderate recovery, heavy or severely off axis recoveries can bend them. Without the reinforcement brackets, you had better stick to light recoveries. Iron Rock Off Road makes a great heavy duty front tow hook mount.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
lsmurphy

Front receiver is a much better option.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

idk how many aftermarket bumpers this would work with, but I love having this towbar on the front. It acts as a bump before anything hits my bumper. And worst case scenario, I can put the tongue on it to pull it...and its gonna serve as my hitch mount.
Unread 08-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
Front receiver is a much better option.
Typically front receiver hitches hang pretty low and stick out a bit. The IRO tow hook bracket tucks up very tight to the front cross member.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Chadnewton1

When I do my front and rear I am going to put a big d ring in the middle front and rear for tow and anchor points. Maybe some shackle mounts. Shackles are good because you can take off and use for the rigging. I am almost convinced factory tow hooks are garbage for any other reason other then pulling on to a tow truck. But that's just my opinion. Last weekend a group of us towed a guy all the way up miller jeep trail, and it wasn't easy. I'm glad guys with us had alot of equipment and everyone but me had a winch. At one point we had to hook up two winches just to get him over a really bad section. But a rubi was able to tow him most of the way.
Chadnewton1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Even if you want to keep the stock bumper you'd be better off buying some AJ's Offroad bumper plates and having someone weld angle iron to them and drill a couple holes in them for the hooks. Stock bumper would still bolt right up to them if you drill the 3 holes the front bumper requires on the front flat part.

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/produ...cat=256&page=1

edit: Been a couple years since I bought these and they've gone up in price about 50%. Regardless, if you can find something similar go for those. It's a beefier option and will give you something stout to start a recovery bumper off of if you ever learn to weld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
lsmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Typically front receiver hitches hang pretty low and stick out a bit. The IRO part tucks up very tight to the front cross member.
Advantages far outweigh any disadvantages.

lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If I intended to do off-road adventures, I certainly would go for the front receiver set-up but that is not what my plan is for now. Thank you @Motorcharge for the link. These plates may be the answer to a problem. My XJ was purchased from the original owner who had towed the vehicle behind a motor home for a couple of years. The shop in Seattle which attached the tow bar hardware did a great job on the passenger side. Evidently that person went to lunch or something & someone else did the driver side which was a hack job. The result is a tear in the sheet metal which will have to be repaired & the plates may be the way to reinforce that area. Very glad I decided to pull the tow plates!
Unread 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #13
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So the last question is what year should be the donor vehicle? Seems like I read some where, likely here, that the '97-'01 mounting brackets are different than the earlier years. Can anyone confirm that there is a difference and or experiences in installing the early hardware on the later series?
Unread 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For simplicity, 97-01 are your donors. Earlier years can be modified to fit, but that will involve a fair amount of cutting and grinding.

Unread 08-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #15
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not trying to hijack this tread but should I just return this. I bought it at harbor freight...
capture.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.