Tow Hooks? D-Rings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tow Hooks? D-Rings?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
scclemson
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tow Hooks? D-Rings?

I own a '96 XJ, and am looking into getting some Tow Hooks or D-Rings for the front and/or rear of my Cherokee.

What's the difference between them? Which is better? What is required to install them? Where can I find some?

scclemson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

d ring and clevis generally goes on a bumper or hitch, tow hooks need plates that bolt to the frame.

Tow hooks are def cheaper.
Unread 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am a fan of d-rings but right now i have tow hooks on the front of mine, I just haven't had a chance to put the d-ring blocks on to use the d-rings.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
XJAl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Get a set of C4X4 fabrication tow hooks and brackets. I have had these on my XJ for over a year and have used them several times without any problems. Here's the link: http://http://www.custom4x4fabricati.../recovery.html
1993 XJ Sport
XJAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
liquidforceb069
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i have d rings on my front bumper and one in my hitch in there rear.. i like them better cause the people i know that have tow hooks sometimes the strap falls off and its annoying to keep getting out and putting it back in... plus i saw a tow strap with a metal hook on the end fling off a tow hook and go through my friends window on his truck soooo...... i prefer d rings!
RE Hack N' Tap
RE CVF Driveshaft 33.5" In Length
Warn Front Bumper With Winch
IPF Headlight Conversion
Drawtite Roof Rack
15% Tint All Around
Autolite Iridium XP Plugs And Wires
Optima Red Top
www.northwest4x4.com

Tow Rig
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Black
liquidforceb069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
scclemson
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Possibly then I'll put D-Rings on my Reese hitch in the rear and attach tow hooks to my frame in the front. Anyone know where I can get some good D-Ring sets?
scclemson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scclemson View Post
Possibly then I'll put D-Rings on my Reese hitch in the rear and attach tow hooks to my frame in the front. Anyone know where I can get some good D-Ring sets?
Local hardware store, or if you can find a deal online.

Here's a link I have bookmarked
http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...products_id=34
Best online price I have found
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
the303hooligan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scclemson View Post
are you aware that they need to have a VERY sturdy welded tabs on bumper or whatever you plan on putting them on? they dont just come with brackets that u can screw on to a hitch or bumper..You can however get a hitch receiver kit that you plug right into ur hitch..(i have 2 of theses types for extra recov. points just in case).http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rec...ng-p-3371.html..Sorry if u are aware of this..but your question seemed like u think you can pick up a kit and throw it on any surface....Just wanna make sure you do it a safe and reliable way....
1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0 I6, D30 and D44,4.56 G2 Gears,belly,gas & steering skids, 35x12.5 Wrangler MTR Kevlars,4" ProComp Coils,1.25" JKS BL,1"Currie MML,Bilstein 5100's, Chromoly LCA's front and rear, JKS Disco's,K&N intake,PSC BFH front stinger bumper w/winch & d-rings,PSC Rear stinger/carrier w/d-ring,PSC Rocker Knockers,Dynomax Ultraflo welded ss, APN header,PIAA 520 ATP, Bestop top,alpine CDA-105 deck,Tuffy underseat Security box, JL Audio speakers in sound bar and dash, Corbeau front seats, matching Neoprene cover on bench,trimmed flares...and PLENTY more to come..
**Oil Field Trash Makin' Oil Field Ca$h**
the303hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking about a set of these....

May simply go with a receiver D Ring block for the hitch however.

For the front I have stock Chrysler Tow Hooks with the proper mounts.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
the303hooligan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman_VIMB View Post
I was thinking about a set of these....

May simply go with a receiver D Ring block for the hitch however.

For the front I have stock Chrysler Tow Hooks with the proper mounts.
I stand corrected on "cant just buy a set and screw them on a hitch"..ha..never seen those before...good find.

As far as "proper mounts" .. are you getting frame tie-in brackets or just using the hooks that are stock and maybe came with the jeep?
1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0 I6, D30 and D44,4.56 G2 Gears,belly,gas & steering skids, 35x12.5 Wrangler MTR Kevlars,4" ProComp Coils,1.25" JKS BL,1"Currie MML,Bilstein 5100's, Chromoly LCA's front and rear, JKS Disco's,K&N intake,PSC BFH front stinger bumper w/winch & d-rings,PSC Rear stinger/carrier w/d-ring,PSC Rocker Knockers,Dynomax Ultraflo welded ss, APN header,PIAA 520 ATP, Bestop top,alpine CDA-105 deck,Tuffy underseat Security box, JL Audio speakers in sound bar and dash, Corbeau front seats, matching Neoprene cover on bench,trimmed flares...and PLENTY more to come..
**Oil Field Trash Makin' Oil Field Ca$h**
the303hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Heh... yes, found them the other night when I was looking at their BPE's. Those Detours Class3 mounts look strong, and utilize what most people use (receiver hitch) for the rear. Actually they might even be better as they use 2 bolts each instead of one to tie in the receiver block?

The Front tow hooks are stock factory option tow hooks with the frame tie in mounts.

Same as these...

From this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/tow-hook-placement-730348/

They came on the jeep when I bought it. YAY free recovery crap!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tow hooks are inexpensive, D-rings are nicer.

The strap constantly falls of tow hooks on multiple pulls, and i have even heard of straps getting torn in half from hooks.

D-rings you can take off to use in multiple different situations, i have even seen them used as a snatch block off a tree.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
25jon25

those detours reciver d ring things are pretty neat but easy to make if you have a welder. I made a set that seem to work good.
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #14
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Since the XJ uni-body frame rails are no more suitable for recovery point mounting than the stock bumpers are, you'll need a load-spreading reinforcing plate for whatever form of attachment point you chose.

Many folks choose hooks for ease of strap hook-up, but since a strap will come off that hook as easily as it goes on, I prefer d-rings. Check out the setup in this thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747764 . I don't have any experience with it myself, but seems like it would serve the need.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

you can always put the tow hook brackets on and then use http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D-Rin...spagenameZWD1V to attach d-rings to em

I do recommend c4x4 towhook kit, the brackets they send are just freaking pure beef.
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.