Tow Bar Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tow Bar Issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Tow Bar Issue

I need to install a tow bar on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ limited. I did as the instructions said to and I took part of the front bumper, drilled holes and mounted the brackets, I then attached the tow bar and tried to tow it and where the brackets were on the frame the metal bent. There is nowhere else to mount it other than where I have it. What should I do? Jeep has a 4.5 inch lift as well

LiveforXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

There should have been a reinforcement plate on it between the brackets and unibody like some aftermarket bumpers use .
Got any pictures?

(Cherokees use a unibody not a "Frame", the body is the frame basically )
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok well we installed it on the only metal part we could find on the front. How do you upload pictures?
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

can upload them to a site such as imageshack or photobucket then post links
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is the only one I could get, it bent the metal that the brackets are hooked to.
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any unibody vehicle like the XJ Cherokee should use a vehicle specific tow bar assembly, and REQUIRES the use of a tow bar adapter bracket or a tow bar subframe to reinforce the sheet metal frame. Most Cherokee tow bars use the stock front tow hook location to mount the adapter plates.

Contact your local RV dealer/supplier, or search for some using the Google.com

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
BlueBadger

^^^ if your using the oem bumper then this is the best way.

I made my bumper with two 2" hitch inserts that my tow bar plug into. And the frame/unibody is reinforced.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.