JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Totalled the xj (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/totalled-xj-564778/)

Macnasty 05-30-2008 06:22 PM

Totalled the xj

Kinda but not really. The motor actually took a poo, but for what I paid for the Jeep a new motor can't be had, so in a sense, I totalled it. Now the question comes.

A) Do I buy another jeep and swap my axles and lift? (My current XJ has some other issues so it's not completely stupid to do this)

B) Suck it up and build a stroker? (I don't charge myself for labor)

C) Collect money from the Jeepforum members so I may perform the awesome 4BT swap?

Note: Buying a used 4.0 is not something I want to do. It's just one of those things, if you break it, you upgrade. This probably won't get much attention here but it's not technical advice I'm seeking, just opinions.

n20jeep 05-30-2008 06:32 PM

stroke it......

duh....

intraining 05-30-2008 07:00 PM

If it's a rust bucket get a different XJ and use the good stuff off of yours on it. If not and the body's good then replacing drivetrain components is worth it in my opinion. If you can stroke it do it. If not the 4.0 is plenty powerful the way it sits to me.

aircruiser 05-31-2008 12:57 AM

5.2 or 5.9 swap (i want to see one of the two done.)

if neither of those are options, stroke it.

RockRodHooligan 06-01-2008 09:24 AM

What happened to the engine, throw a rod or something?

Macnasty 06-01-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan (Post 5285324)
What happened to the engine, throw a rod or something?

I haven't taken it apart for inspection yet. It's locked up but I don't have anything protruding out of the pan. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Stroking it was my first thought until I looked into the 4BT option, but that means it will be down longer than if I just take out the 4.0 and stroke it. The 4bt will get about 30 mpg and has massive torque, plus you can find the engine and accessories for about the same money it would cost to build the stroker of my choice. There's just nothing bad about it, except for a little fabbing and buying a torque converter for the AW4.

grantsjeep 06-03-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnasty (Post 5285845)
I haven't taken it apart for inspection yet. It's locked up but I don't have anything protruding out of the pan. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Stroking it was my first thought until I looked into the 4BT option, but that means it will be down longer than if I just take out the 4.0 and stroke it. The 4bt will get about 30 mpg and has massive torque, plus you can find the engine and accessories for about the same money it would cost to build the stroker of my choice. There's just nothing bad about it, except for a little fabbing and buying a torque converter for the AW4.

I would go with the 4BT, they are great engines!!! I am getting a trail rig in a little bit in a trade. My new Jeep is more than like going to be a 70s Jeep Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer . . . I love the look of them, but I am going to fix it, upgrade everything and I am looking to install a 4BT Diesel. They sound awesome and like you said, you get the benefit of amazing gas mileage!!!

-Grantsjeep

The time now is 05:50 AM.