totaled XJ trail beater BUILD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > totaled XJ trail beater BUILD

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

totaled XJ trail beater BUILD

As promised, I am starting a thread on my build. A little background: This 2000 XJ was my first car. I slid out on a wet road, hit a guard rail, and rolled it over. The insurance company totaled it and I bought it back for a fair price. I'll be updating this with pics as it progresses. Thanks for lookin'!
[IMG][/IMG]
Here it is fresh off the tow truck.

[IMG][/IMG]
In proper fashion, I rigged up a flag pole to fly every once in a while as it's not my DD anymore.

That was all I had time for tonight lol. Next, I gotta replace the wheels/tires, tie rod, bend back one control arm bracket and replace the rear control arm.More actual build pics to come!

CherokeePpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update 10/29/14

Just a little update, nothing too major has gotten done but I've had other stuff going on between school, work, and finding another car to drive daily. Here's the story. I found these 31" Bridgestone Duelers from a guy on Facebook who lives near me for $200 for the whole set plus the wheels. Practically brand new, he drove from KY to MI and halfway back, spun a rod, and has had it sitting in his yard since. They came off a 70-something Silverado. When I went on the hunt for a new jeep wheel (the one that hit the guardrail is all bent up), I found a local guy who owns a shop who was willing to trade all the Chevy Rally wheels for one stock jeep wheel he had laying around and the mounting and balancing service. Of course I said "HECK YEAH!" and now here I am with a $200 set of tires and a wheel after mounting, balancing. I'd say I did alright on that little deal .

Here they are on the Chevy wheels with center caps and beauty rings.
[IMG][/IMG]

Used some satin black caliper paint to paint the stock wheels black. I think they turned out pretty good.
[IMG][/IMG]

There they are all mounted and bolted on! Next step is a door, a windshield, and a 3"-3.5" lift!
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update 11/12/14

Well I decided on the RC 4.5" lift with all the goodies. Cost me $900. It came in yesterday. [IMG][/IMG]

I spent a few hours after school today getting the old leafs off and getting the new ones on with dad Had to whip out the grinder and BIG BERTHA the crescent wrench to get those rust collectors off. [IMG][/IMG]

I even got this fella at Walgreens last week to keep the Jeep company. He seems excited about the build! [IMG][/IMG]
Unread 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update 11/22/14

Got the lift finished! I ordered a new driver side fender, so some time in the next few weeks I'll get the A-pillar straightened out, get a windshield put in, paint the fender and door, and it'll be basically ready to go! [IMG][/IMG]
Unread 11-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Why bother with body work if it's a trail beater?
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
kale2s
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like its coming along well!
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
Why bother with body work if it's a trail beater?
Well he could always dent the right side fender and he would be all set
Unread 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for checking it out guys! Well originally I was just gonna throw a lift on it and call it a day. But then you start looking at stuff and browsing the "XJ wheeling pictures" thread and then before you know it, you want your jeep to look awesome too!
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Get it R-titled And run it. You're putting a fair amount of money into a beater. Unless you plan on trailering it everywhere to wheel

Good progress so far!
Unread 11-25-2014, 05:28 AM   #10
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I do kinda want to actually drive it on the road now. The original plan was to trailer it (we still don't know if it will drive down the road in a straight line.) Only thing is I would probably need a SYE. I'm just running the t-case drop that came with the kit right now since it's off road only.... for now at least...
Unread 11-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

If your CA's and lift in general bolted right up, its probably straight or close to it. I would fix it up and use it. Being that it was you're first vehicle, you should keep it and make it a beater once its too far gone to get inspected. My first vehicle was a 2000 TJ and I regret selling it every day. It needed work, but I could have kept it and made it a project.

Whats next for it?
Unread 11-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah. I definitely won't be selling this for a while. First car AND built by me and my dad.
Unread 11-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update 11/30/14

Got the t-case drop finished, got a new fender (I'll paint it later on), and got the back driver side door to open and close again. We took it out for a little test drive in the field yesterday. Super fun to drive around!! [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 12-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #14
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Next thing is to straighten out the A pillar and get the new door and windshield in.
Unread 12-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good progress so far. Love these types of builds where people bring a totalled rig back to life.

Gave you a follow on Insta, too. Glad to see another Kentuckian on the forum.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.