Total Loss (The life of a sad man) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Total Loss (The life of a sad man)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
krycus21
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Total Loss (The life of a sad man)

My jeep was parked at the hospital last week when an old lady (82 years old) jumped a curb and hit the front of my 87 Jeep Cherokee. Just found out my jeep is a total loss but no offer on how much there going to give me yet. I heard some insurance company's will go by nada's price, thing is I don't think that's the case, my interior is damn close to being perfect and the exterior had some fading paint but nothing too bad. How much do you think I will get for my jeep? Think it would be worth saving?
Sorry about the rant, 290k miles
~cody

http://i.imgur.com/ETowzlB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ahjoJY5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aRAeUfS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J7CvJtt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HVeDhkE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/S7dcHCl.jpg

krycus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That looks like it should be an easy fix. Take a look at the rails, if they are straight (it looks like the bumper was ripped off the mounts so there is a good chance the damage is limited to the bumper and mounts) it would just be a bumper, mounts, turn-signal, bezels, grill, and header panel if the crack bothers you. Even if the rails aren't straight if the damage is in front of any suspension or engine mounts you just need to get them straight enough to hold the bumper on.

Unfortunately, being an 87 with 290k mi a scratch would be enough to total it, remember the ins co goes by the price of new OE parts and body shop labor when determining to total, and total the vehicle the cost of repairs this exceeds 75% of the vehicle's value.

Being that the other driver's at fault I'd push for the most you can get, if you're lucky you might be able to get $2k or so out of them, and I wouldn't take anything less than $1k. Then buy it back, you should be able to fix it with less than $200 worth (maybe less than $100, especially if you choose not to replace the header panel) of parts from the junk yard.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
krycus21
1987 XJ Cherokee 

yeah the bumper mount's was ripped off and the part of the frame that hold the mounts on are bent but its not that bad. I already priced out an bumper and mounts came to about $350. I have spare lights, and I dont really care about the rest of it. Im just iffy on how to go about fixing it, Do i need a salvage title since it is a total loss? and how would i go about doing that. I had it quoted at $1,800 to fix all the damage.
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krycus21 View Post
yeah the bumper mount's was ripped off and the part of the frame that hold the mounts on are bent but its not that bad. I already priced out an bumper and mounts came to about $350. I have spare lights, and I dont really care about the rest of it. Im just iffy on how to go about fixing it, Do i need a salvage title since it is a total loss? and how would i go about doing that. I had it quoted at $1,800 to fix all the damage.
Usually a total loss means a salvage title. This varies state to state, here in PA after repairing it you just have to get it inspected by a state certified shop (and have them fill out a form) to get that turned into a "rebuilt" title. Some states exempt vehicles over a certain age (often 20 or 30 years old) from these requirements, if that is the case you could technically re-register it even without repairs, though you'll likely be pulled over if you drive without a bumper. If you check your state's DOT website you can probably find the details, or ask a local body shop.

Unless you're getting parts from a dealer you should be able to get a bumper and mounts for less than $350 (I think a new chrome bumper for an 87 XJ runs about $50 on RockAuto and the mounts are about $20 ea.).

If the rails aren't bad, a hammer and channel-locks might be good enough to get them to the point where the holes for the mounts line up.

$1800 sounds about right for a body shop, It cost $1300 just to replace the bumper cover (including paint) and passenger side headlight on the Pontiac G6 I used to have (other driver's ins paid), body shops (especially dealer's ones) charge insane amounts for even "simple" repairs.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
krycus21
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, did some searching andfound this quote from the dmv website, dose this say that since its over 6 years I can just apply for one and fix it myself basically. Sorry for the questions, and thank you for the help. its much appreciated

Rebuilding Older Vehicles
Vehicles that are older than six years and have pre-damage values of less than $6,000 do not have to undergo salvage vehicle inspections. However, the person conducting the rebuild or repair must fill out a Salvage Vehicle Affidavit (form ITD-3311).

Whomever applies for the salvage certificate must state on this affidavit whether the vehicle is being repaired. The title will then brand the vehicle a "reconstructed vehicle."

http://www.dmv.org/id-idaho/salvaged...Older-Vehicles
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't have even filed an insurance claim. Looks like all cosmetic damage from the pics and nothing past the front clip. Assuming the radiator and unibody are ok you could get replacement parts from a JY around here for under $150 and they're all bolt on.

I'd make damn sure that she lost her license though. You can't put a price on sentimental value and you shouldn't have to worry about losing your XJ because some old lady who has no business being on the road anymore still has a license.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thankfully my grandmother was self-aware enough to know when she was no longer safe behind the wheel of a vehicle. Most elderly AREN'T so aware, and their families either don't notice or are afraid to get involved. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, so she might be a fine driver still who just made a mistake--we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on her age, but I would at least pressure her, her family, and/or the authorities to consider her age as a possibility because if there's a next time, it might be something WAY more important than the front end of an 87 XJ that she hits.
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I wouldn't have even filed an insurance claim. Looks like all cosmetic damage from the pics and nothing past the front clip. Assuming the radiator and unibody are ok you could get replacement parts from a JY around here for under $150 and they're all bolt on.
X2, my POS has more damage than that from playing in the rocks!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

My condolences on the damage to the 87.
In my state the only reason you'd have to get a salvage title is if the insurance company calls it a total loss and you buy it back from them. Considering the book value of an 87 XJ, that would be the typical course of events.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter Your Jeep in the April COTM Contest... NAOW!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
My condolences on the damage to the 87.
In my state the only reason you'd have to get a salvage title is if the insurance company calls it a total loss and you buy it back from them. Considering the book value of an 87 XJ, that would be the typical course of events.
That's how it works here but you don't have to file an insurance claim. State Farm says my XJ is worth $0.

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's how it works here but you don't have to file an insurance claim. State Farm says my XJ is worth $0.
I don't understand how you'd have to get a salvage title unless ownership changed hands?

COTY 2009

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't understand how you'd have to get a salvage title unless ownership changed hands?
My understand has always been that the insurance company keeps your vehicle and that's where the change of ownership comes in and why you can buy it back.

Been in a single accident in my life and it was a couple months ago at under 1 mph. Stupid State Farm is still trying to get me to claim it. I've had them since I was 16 and loved them til now. Why am I going to file a claim? My stock bumper had ZERO damage so why would I do something to raise my rates? I don't even have the stock bumper anymore lol

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, I'm tracking with ya now. I was thinking your previous post indicated a person could end up with a salvage title without even filing a claim.

Quote:
That's how it works here but you don't have to file an insurance claim.
But now I realize you were saying that if you don't file the claim, you won't have a salvage title. I agree.

COTY 2009

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My Been in a single accident in my life and it was a couple months ago at under 1 mph. Stupid State Farm is still trying to get me to claim it.
I might know why they're doing this. If you accept a settlement on the vehicle, part of the process will include signing a medical release. If you don't sign a release, the case is still open to litigation until the statute of limitations time period expires.

COTY 2009

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh, I'm tracking with ya now. I was thinking your previous post indicated a person could end up with a salvage title without even filing a claim.

But now I realize you were saying that if you don't file the claim, you won't have a salvage title. I agree.
I said it worked the same as what you said.

And yeah, exactly. I barely tapped the rear end of a Mazda but since my XJ is lifted the my bumper scraped over his and dented the trunk. Cop didn't even bother with an accident report. I let the insurance company take care of it, paid the deductible and told them I didn't want to file a report on my Jeep. My agent got it but the other kids (he has State Farm too) is still calling my 6 months later trying to get me to file a claim on mine as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.