In too deep, need some wisdom. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > In too deep, need some wisdom.

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
UncleSasquatch
1989 XJ Cherokee 

In too deep, need some wisdom.

Hey Jeepers, I do a lot of creeping and not much posting, but I need some input:

I bought my first Jeep a few months ago, and it's been a huge money pit ever since.

I've always liked the XJ look and was damn excited to start working on it and slaying mountains. After spending probably too much on her it seems like there's something new going wrong every week. Cracked manifold, ball joints, U-joints, transmission mount, electrical issues, and I've recently figured out I have the Peugeot tranny, which I've heard is garbage.

I have limited mechanical experience and lack the time and money to fix, let alone build on this Jeep very much for the time being.

Should I stick it out with this old lady (It's an '89, Laredo), or just run it to the ground and find a better XJ to start with?

I'm losing my faith in Jeeps, what would you do?

UncleSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's a 25 year old vehicle that just had a bunch of common routine maintenance done to it. If you can't see past that fact, then you're missing the big picture here. If you were to go over the cooling system and replace hoses, Tstat, water pump, and serp. belt you'd be done pretty much all the routine stuff I've done to mine over the last 5 years as well. Mine's a '00 and I considered the work to be expected, and not a lost cause.

Despite the transmission being less desirable, the rest of the drivetrain will run forever, and if the body's somewhat rot free little repairs that are easy to do if you have time and a bit of desire are why we drive old school shoe boxes.
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Kinda depends on what you need. Xn XJ may not be it. If it's not, it's not worth the time and money to make it right. Only you know where you are in life right now and what hobbies, repairs, and pastimes you can afford. I went from an S-10 to a fullsize to a Chevelle to a Corolla before I got my XJ. At different times in my life, defferent vehicles made sense.
Unread 09-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Joegibson

I Would Let

a local Cherokee enthusiast who has been working on them, owning them, and loving them evaluate it before jumping to a possibly wrong conclusion. Get an expert opinion even though you are now discouraged.
Joegibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Renix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

As others have said its 25 years old. I've put at least 7k in my 89, mostly aftermarket upgrades. Everything you described that is failing on yours I've been through.
I look at it this way all I have to replace is my motor and tranny and I have a new jeep. If I wouldn't have had a vision of what I wanted to do before I bought it, I probably would have about $1500 in it over a 4 year period in just maintenance parts. I do all my own work no mechanic needed. A 25 year old jeep is not for someone that does not like to spend there weekend turning a wrench. Personally I like having a 89, No OBD so you have to think about the issue without computer codes. Forces you to be smarter, and when all else fails thats what Jeepforum is for.

On a side note my girlfriend calls my XJ a dirty *****, that wont stop messing with me.
But at least when she wakes up in the middle of the night and I'm not in bed she knows where to find me, The Garage!
Unread 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegibson View Post
a local Cherokee enthusiast who has been working on them, owning them, and loving them evaluate it before jumping to a possibly wrong conclusion. Get an expert opinion even though you are now discouraged.
That's a cool idea!!

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
UncleSasquatch
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I guess I'm just getting a bit down about it, but at the moment I have no choice but to keep her anyways! I'm sure that once I've got some of the repairs dealt with it'll be a lot more fun, as of now it's terrifying just around town haha.

Thanks for the perspective guys.
UncleSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.