TJ springs in XJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > TJ springs in XJ.

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

TJ springs in XJ.

I just picked up some TJ springs for cheap, they measure 21" in length, which i believe is an 8" lift spring for a TJ. The part number says they are a TJ lift spring from synergy suspension/ poly-performance.

However, after doing more research, I see stock XJ springs are 18"- 21". The TJ springs are a lot thicker and "beefier than my factory XJ springs though.

So am i looking at netting around 6.5" with these springs, around 1.5", no lift? Im tempted to just put them under the front and see where they put me, just lazy and dont want to put the springs in and pull them back out... dont have all the parts I need yet.

thanks in advance!

Unread 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

In general you'll lose an inch with TJ springs. So if they're 8" lift springs you'll next about 7".
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

6.5 to 7 inches either way what mods have you done to support that amount of lift on a XJ?
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, Ive got a few sticks of 2" O.D. stainless tubing, a factory upper end, and 5 Johnny joints and some threaded inserts for my 3 link. along with a double shear track bar, some shocks, S10 bastard pack for the rear, extended brake lines, an endless supply of steel and lots of welding stuff. probably gonna do an SYE, or maybe just keep the back a little lower and go with an extended shaft- if I can get away with it.

plan is to fab all my own brackets and truss both axles- frame side adj. separation @ 4.5" - 5.5", axle side adj. from 6.5" - 9", run my lower links at 22" - 24", pass. side upper @ 20" - 22", gonna build an adj. track-bar bracket as well, top it all of with some 33s or 35s. Im new to all this suspension stuff, but am very comfortable with my metal fab skills. If I'm missing anything, let me know!
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
6.5 to 7 inches either way what mods have you done to support that amount of lift on a XJ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ View Post
well, Ive got a few sticks of 2" O.D. stainless tubing, a factory upper end, and 5 Johnny joints and some threaded inserts for my 3 link. along with a double shear track bar, some shocks, S10 bastard pack for the rear, extended brake lines, an endless supply of steel and lots of welding stuff. probably gonna do an SYE, or maybe just keep the back a little lower and go with an extended shaft- if I can get away with it.

plan is to fab all my own brackets and truss both axles- frame side adj. separation @ 4.5" - 5.5", axle side adj. from 6.5" - 9", run my lower links at 22" - 24", pass. side upper @ 20" - 22", gonna build an adj. track-bar bracket as well, top it all of with some 33s or 35s. Im new to all this suspension stuff, but am very comfortable with my metal fab skills. If I'm missing anything, let me know!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

No I literally was curious, but I didn't understand half that. AGDubyaJ are you saying you have a pile of metal and are going to make your own 3 link?
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Right? I was serious not expecting the OP to be so knowledgeable
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was just being lazy, was a little confused on the measurements, seeing as the new coils are not much longer than stock XJ springs. The XJ is also my DD so i didn't wanna tear into it. But, its up on jack stands now; looks like the springs are gonna put me around 6" - 7", might be wrong though.

@ XJmike- Yea, pretty much... I'm just going for it, got a good deal on a bunch of used XJ 3 link parts, got a pile of steel, and I work in a fab shop so I have access to lots of tools.

I will post back to confirm where the springs put me, but I'll probably start a build thread once I get a little further along.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just thought I would update, the 21" TJ springs netted 5.25". stock measurements were 17 1/2" hub to fender flare, now it sits at 22 3/4". They are VERY soft, but should make for a smooth ride with some quality shocks. Pretty much done with my 3-link, just gotta get my steering figured out.

before on 30 x 9.50s

now heres how she sits on some 285/75s on moabs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.