A TJ guy tries his hand at building an XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > A TJ guy tries his hand at building an XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

A TJ guy tries his hand at building an XJ (updated with stage 2)

EDIT: Resurrecting this old thread for stage II instead of starting a new one.

Never did a build thread on the TJ and have regretted it so here goes.

After wheeling with a couple of guys who drive XJs (pyrotyro from the forum for one) and trying to deal with driving an F-250 as my main winter driver last year I decided to look for an XJ. Up here XJs for sale are rare as a Hummer that wheels but I did manage to find a '98 Sport with lots of options and only 103K on the clock, started life in Las Vegas with some time in So Cal so it's totally rust free. NOT my first choice of color but beggars can't be choosers.

Stage one was doing a "zero mile" maintenance, serpentine belt, all fluids including power steering, (brake fluid flush will be done after installing the YJ hoses), and check every wear item. The truck came with a bunch of maintenance receipts and looked like it had been well maintained.

My goal is a rig that can handle trails up to and including Poison Spider/Moab Rim, load up for expedition wheeling and do DD duty in comfort. My TJ will do the tough stuff.

Looks just like an XJ only smaller

The UPS guy is pretty tired of stopping by our house. I sold my '51 pickup project to fund part of the upgrades.

The stage 1 build list consists of:
5 31"x10.5 BFG ATs on D1ck Cepek DC2s, not my first choice of wheel but cheap and coated so they will resist the mag-chloride that gets laid down on the streets.
RE/Currie F&R bumpstops
IRO track bar
IRO front hook system which will become an attachment point for a tow bar so I can flat tow it behind the camper.
ZJ tie rod
RE U-Bolts
YJ Brake lines F&R
Alloy USA D-30 axle seals
JKS quicker discos and lower control arms (left over from a TJ stage)
Stock front upper control arms with only 30k miles on them in case the bushings are bad in the XJs.
Uniden 520 Pro XL CB
Low mile (40k) TC with SYE in case I get vibes (from TJ replaced with Atlas II)
OME medium rear springs with D22XL add a leafs.
D-30/8.25 Lube lockers
Currie front springs (TJ 4"/XJ 3")
OME long travel 35/36L shocks
Walmart 770CCA battery.

Not in pic but on the way or on the shelf
Ruffstuff diff covers
Low mileage front shafts from the TJ (30k mi)

Took it to the car wash and spent lots of time on the underside then pulled it in to the shop and hit every nut and bolt I could find with Kano Kroil, GREAT stuff BTW.

New vs old, didn't put the add a leafs in, won't unless I need them or the springs sag too much.

Forgot what fun leaf springs are, haven't dealt with them since putting a 2.5" Rancho lift under my '56 back in the mid '70s. A couple of hours I'm almost half way through one side of the rear. So far the Kroil is doing its job, and once again I am very happy to have a full set of air tools.

Done for today.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking forward to seeing this one during the build process. Nice start!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is that a 74 nova on the lift? J/W.

Excited for the build.
99XJBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a Volvo P1800 to me? What is under the lift (black one)??

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not a fan DC-1s, unless they don't have the center caps. Either way I think this thing's gonna look sweet, good start!
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Looks like a Volvo P1800 to me? What is under the lift (black one)??
We have a winner! Top one is a 99% rust free '67 Volvo 1800s with a later B-20 engine, the one on the bottom is an '88 Volvo 240, one of the few vehicles ever made that will give an XJ a run for it's money for longevity. It's still ticking along at almost 220k with nothing done to it but oil/trans fluid changes a few sets of brakes and a lot of handling upgrades. Heck it even has the original U-Joints. BTW it shares the tranny manufacturer with the XJ, both are made by Asian-Warner, the 240 uses an AW-70 which is known for going 250K+ with a few fluid changes.

Swagger_Wagon, gotta admit I really really don't like the DC-1s the DC-2s are a little cleaner with no fake bolts around the wheel, if I had my way I'd run good old MT classics but the mag-chloride we get on the roads eats unprotected wheels for lunch and I want this rig to stay nice. If the DC-2s were 5 spoke they'd be killer IMO but I've never liked an even number of spokes on any wheel.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I could tell it was a P1800 by the little tell tale up sweep by the back of the door near the "hips". That and the front fender where the headlights and the running/marker light is. Sweet cars, the wagon is one of my top 10 for body style.

You know, Volvo holds the record for the most miles on a near original car (daily driver too)... 2 million plus miles, a dude in New York.

Back to the XJ.

Going to be a sweet build, really like that blue.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
justanotherjpr

Nice XJ! Don't forget to change the UJ's in the rear shaft. I usually change the lower joint on the front DS, too.

$10.68 for Spicer joints
Spicer 5-153X 1310 Series Greasable UJoint
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
We have a winner! Top one is a 99% rust free '67 Volvo 1800s with a later B-20 engine, the one on the bottom is an '88 Volvo 240, one of the few vehicles ever made that will give an XJ a run for it's money for longevity. It's still ticking along at almost 220k with nothing done to it but oil/trans fluid changes a few sets of brakes and a lot of handling upgrades. Heck it even has the original U-Joints. BTW it shares the tranny manufacturer with the XJ, both are made by Asian-Warner, the 240 uses an AW-70 which is known for going 250K+ with a few fluid changes.

Swagger_Wagon, gotta admit I really really don't like the DC-1s the DC-2s are a little cleaner with no fake bolts around the wheel, if I had my way I'd run good old MT classics but the mag-chloride we get on the roads eats unprotected wheels for lunch and I want this rig to stay nice. If the DC-2s were 5 spoke they'd be killer IMO but I've never liked an even number of spokes on any wheel.
Gotcha. I'm just more of a steel wheel guy myself

I'm sure my opinion will change once I move back to Chicago
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
XJH-007

Looks good Dave! No fair...your rear leafs bolts all came out.

Just in time for Winter!

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Off to a great start Dave Now lets see how long it will be able to stay out of the canyon

Someday I will have a project XJ......

-2006 Impact Orange LJ-

THE HARDEST THING ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK WOULD BE PRENTENDING NOT TO BE EXCITED
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post

You know, Volvo holds the record for the most miles on a near original car (daily driver too)... 2 million plus miles, a dude in New York.

Going to be a sweet build, really like that blue.
Actually Irv's almost up to 3 million miles, documented by the dealership oil changes. His '65 is undergoing the 2nd engine rebuild at 2.8M, first one was at 680K. Got to meet him and check out the car in '04 at a meet in San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Nice XJ! Don't forget to change the UJ's in the rear shaft. I usually change the lower joint on the front DS, too.

$10.68 for Spicer joints
Spicer 5-153X 1310 Series Greasable UJoint
Judging by the lift I'm probably going to have to use the TC with the SYE, but I'll change the front for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLJ View Post
Off to a great start Dave Now lets see how long it will be able to stay out of the canyon

Someday I will have a project XJ......
Never going to happen, bad things happen to Jeeps in Chokecherry

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't get a whole lot done today, had several commitments.

Ratchet straps, a marlin spike and pry bar work wonders for aligning the springs so you can get a bolt in. This finished up the rear end except for the YJ brake line, I left the flare fittings soaking in Kroil.

Anti seize ensures things will come apart again when necessary.

Before and after

Currie on the right, stock on the left (as if you couldn't tell)

I got as far as taking the front end completely apart and had to stop for the day. Tomorrow afternoon springs, control arms etc should go in.

I really hope this settles a bit, right now my shackle angle is very poor and I'm sitting at a little over 4" in back. At this rate I'm looking at swapping TCs and a new driveshaft.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

looks like it is going to be awesome
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
justanotherjpr

FWIW, I ran 6" of lift for over a year with a stock rear drive shaft and a 1" t-case drop.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.