Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tires

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
troydg

Tires

Do I need new rims for 31 inch tires?

troydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Not to mount the tires, but rims with less backspacing may resolve issues with tire rubbing. 31" is the range where it could go in either direction for rubbing depending on the tire. Some are fine and others have issues.
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
troydg

Well I'm putting a 3 in lift tomorrow so if I threw 31's on stock rims would I be good?
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

With 3 inches you should be good with 31's, might rub on full steering lock on the control arms, but you will find out.

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming they're 31x10.5x15R the tires will fit the rims very well and hold a bead if you air down to low psi offroad.

They WILL rub stock control arms at full lock unless you adjust your steering stops out or put spacers on.

You could also consider stock WJ Lower Control Arms which bolt up with a minor bushing modification. They have a bend in them to clear the tire when the steering is fully locked.
or
Buy aftermarket rims with 4" backspacing vs stock 5.25". You will clear your stock arms with that extra 1.25" offset.
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
troydg

If I got wheel spacers would that make a difference? Thanks for the help also their bf Goodrich ATs
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg View Post
If I got wheel spacers would that make a difference? Thanks for the help also their bf Goodrich ATs
Yes, wheel spacers can be substituted for new rims. However, at $220 for a set of good spacers a set of aftermarket rims is not too far off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.