Tire size Speed COURT - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tire size Speed COURT

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #16
jeeper01

The beauty of our judicial system is our ability as defendants to fight our case. Many times if you go in with a well prepared case you will get the benefit of the doubt. I had an 81 in a 65, I constructed my case around the improper equipment, and the calibration of speedometers. After coming up with evidence that proves your speedometer does vary with your tires size I decided my case was fair enough. I took it to the judge without a lawyer. The ticket got dismissed. Stand up for yourself, don't belly up just because it is the law. If some people can get away with murder I better be damn sure I can get out of a speeding ticket.

To the OP, If you can find a shop near by with a dyno, they will be able to analyze the true difference between actual and gauge speed.

Unread 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
scavengerj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Years ago was running 33s. Speedo was way off and I knew it. Didn't have the money to regear just then. Went to a shop for a speedo calibration and got the paperwork from them showing the speedo was off. Originally I was running 36s and knew the speedo was waaaay off then.

Anywhooo, I went to court with the paperwork from the shop. I explained to the judge that I had been previously been running 36s but changed them since it affected the accuracy of the speedometer so much. I dropped down to the 33s which I thought corrected the problem. Apparently it didn't ( I knew that). I submitted the paperwork that showed proof of my attempt to identify the cause of the problem and asked for probation before judgement (PBJ). The judge looked at the evidence I had submitted and granted my request. I had no court cost and maintained a clean record until the probation was over.

Don't try to out right lie. Be as honest as can be. Make an effort to indentify the cause and what you'll have to do to fix the probelm.....ie, spend a little money.
Ask for probation
scavengerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimsucka View Post
Would it be a good idea to say after the incident i had taken car to a mechanic that inspected and fixed speedometer and to pleed guilty
dont lie to Da Judge. say that and he will ask for the receipt showing the repair. if you dont provide it expect No Mercy. although you might be able to say a friend fixed it but I dunno. as scavengerj mentions, documentation is the key. ask me how I know, documentation has saved me big in court.

your larger tires (235 vs 215 or 225 stock) will cause your speedo to be off (read lower than your actual speed).

just plead guilty and ask for a reduction if your record is otherwise clean (the DMV report is a great idea BTW).
Unread 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Or the problem is cops writing BS tickets so they look good when it's time for a "performance review" (aka "just like a ticket quota, but we can't call them that anymore").
How is it a "BS ticket" when the person violated posted speed limits inside a park? I'm a police officer, and me writing tickets has NOTHING to do with a "performance review" and I doubt it does anywhere. Writing tickets generates very little if any revenue for most police departments.

To the OP:
You broke the law, knew your equipment was defective, and so man up and pay the fine. If you want, try and plead it out to a lesser charge or go pre-trial diversion or get a deferal. Quit wasting the courts time, the officers time, and my tax money on BS.

Quote:
ahhhh th judge is a friends father that lives right next to state park and surfs as do i so im sur he will be on myside
Oh, so the Judge will violate ethics and probably the law by giving you leniancy since he knows you? That's not only immoral, but against his oath.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.