Tire review thread.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tire review thread..

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tire review thread..

didnt want to go through everybodys builds to see what there running and why they chose the tire. So post up your size and give us a little review.
My rig is a DD so a good basic AT is what im running, Equalizer sport 31's.. grip is ok, not the best like i had thought itd be to be honest

Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I personally have 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns, though they aren't ATs. If ATs are what you want, I would recommend either BFG AT KOs or General Grabber AT2s
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ya i figure once i wear these out ill put something better on..been checking the price and reviews on the grabbers and the rocky mountain falkens.. Anybody else chime in and have reviews?
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I dont drink the BFG koolaid, so to say, but as long as pure mud isnt your priority when you are wheeling, I think KM2's are an excellent all around tire. Just ordered a set in 33x10.50 for my XJ, and had same size KM2's on my TJ. I DD my Jeeps 90% of the time on-road, and we have big rides every couple weeks, then I'm wide open expecting to break something out on the trail. They have always held up, do well enough in mud, great on the rocks and trails, and quiet on the road.

On a cheaper note, me and a buddy both ran Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T's in 31x10.50. Excellent tires for the money, nice aggressive a/t tread, performed great on the trails. Never put a hole in one either, but if I did, the nice part (which is why I took the chance) is I caught em on a bit of a sale at WalMart TLE for under 700 bucks for all four mounted and balance with road hazard warranty. Pop one and its replaced no questions asked. I sold that Jeep about 6 months after the install with no issues, and my buddy's XJ is 95% trail only, and he still runs them. Still hasnt gutted one.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I dont wheel as much as ide like too i dont kno alot of people in my area who wheel and the few i do kno barely get to anymore as they have families and usually busy. I prefer the looks of a 33x10.50 and waiting for you to post pics once you get them mounted.. crawling alot of guys threads on here I have a buddy who put those goodyears on his Ram 1500 and loves them but just wanted to hear what others had good luck with in the past
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
need4speedtonka
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i just had this put on few moths ago...32" wild picks and i love tham,great in snow,rain,very low road noise,
dsc_0022.jpg   dsc_0026.jpg   dsc_0341.jpg  
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speedtonka View Post
i just had this put on few moths ago...32" wild picks and i love tham,great in snow,rain,very low road noise,
one of the magazines did a review one them and rated them pretty high.. i like the looks of them but what did they run out you out the door? i could only find one place local to me that had them and i think in the 31 they ran 140ish a tire?
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
need4speedtonka
1999 XJ Cherokee 

$780 installed..i think is pretty good for 32"s...edit; i should say its fair price for 32"s.......
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Kilroy08
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've run the following:

BFG All Terrains in 235/75R15. Had them for 3 years. Good tread life put a crap load of miles on them. I want to say about 50 to 60,000 miles. When I got new tires, I gave them to a friend in need, still had an ok amount of tread on them. He's still running them. Great in the snow and the rain. Worked good off road, no complaints in moderate mud. Good in the beach when aired down.

Dunlop Mud Rovers in 30X9.5R15. Ran these for 2 years. Noisy on road. No problems with them in the rain. Great off road and in mud. My only downfall was high centering the axles on the strip of dirt in between a set of ruts that turned out to be deeper than expected. Driving on snow was good, until you had to stop. They like to slide. Tread life was not that great, put about 30,000 on them.

General Grabber AT2s in 27X8.5R14. Honorable mention here. I just put them on my little 2 wheel drive '88 Mazda B2200. Almost identical tread to BFG ATs with similar performance characteristics. About $50.00 to $60.00 cheaper per tire than BFG.

Going with Goodyear Duratracs in 33X12.5R15 next. Seems like a nice compromise between all terrain and mud. Have read several good reviews on them. I will let you guys know how I feel about them when I get them.
Kilroy08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Duratracs are an awesome tire! I loved mine! A great dang for your buck is pep boys definity Dakota m/t. I loved mine!!! They were awesome and cheap!

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i like the looks of the duratecs but ide be concerned about how soft they are and how many miles ide be able to get out of them since its a dd...how much do the dakota m/t run?
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnbo View Post
i like the looks of the duratecs but ide be concerned about how soft they are and how many miles ide be able to get out of them since its a dd...how much do the dakota m/t run?
Got a couple guys around here running Big O Bigfoot A/T on their Jeeps. Good tread life and do surprisingly well offroad for what I would call a bit of a generic A/T. I think Big O is steep on prices though, but their road hazard seems to be a solid deal. Nice being able to wheel and not worrying about popping a 150-200 dollar tire.

Like the looks of Duratracs, althought never seen anyone run them, personally. We are pretty much all BFG guys over here.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I dont drink the BFG koolaid, so to say, but as long as pure mud isnt your priority when you are wheeling, I think KM2's are an excellent all around tire. Just ordered a set in 33x10.50 for my XJ, and had same size KM2's on my TJ. I DD my Jeeps 90% of the time on-road, and we have big rides every couple weeks, then I'm wide open expecting to break something out on the trail. They have always held up, do well enough in mud, great on the rocks and trails, and quiet on the road.
X2. I wish I could say I got my jeep + KM2s offroad more, but sadly sometimes its tough to find time, so I'm also in the 90% street driving boat. However, the KM2s have great road manners, and when you do get a chance to do some wheeling, they shine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.