Tire preference - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tire preference

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tire preference

Alright guys here's the deal, I currently have a set of 31x10.50rx15 general grabber at2's, tread wise their 80 to 85%. However they were on the jeep when I got it, the previous owner said he never drove it because he drove his company truck, their rated for 50psi max , an they had 20 psi when I got it so I threw in some air up to 40psi....I just noticed 2 slices on the sidewall of one of my tires, not a rock slice or anything, I'm pretty sure it's from the jeep sitting for "x" amount of time with 20psi in them. I'm gonna code them tomorrow to see how old they are, long story short, what tires do you guys recommend ? It's my dd/weekend warrior , I want an a/t but is there a best a/t out there? I like the tread on my at2's but don't want this sidewall event occurring again, I like bfg a/t's but I've also hurt many bad things about them, their also twice the price of the at2's. what do y'all think?

96xjKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

If the tire has cracks from dry rotting like you suggest it isn't gonna be a slice - it'll be a definitive crack.

Also -

Tires and Wheels -------------------}

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the exact same tires on my TJ. I'm running around 28-30 psi and have a good contact patch at that pressure. I don't think 20psi is ideal for street use but I don't think it would kill them either. Unless the cuts are really deep, I'd think long and hard before replacing those tires. A sidewall failure will destroy a tire but those walls are thicker than you think. With 80% tread remaining I'd try to make them work, maybe buy two new ones for one axle and make the other a spare? You're talking about spending some big change if you put four new tires on and that General AT2 has proven to be an excellent all-around tire for me.

Can you post a photo of the crack?
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

TruXus

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I run the AT in 30x9.5 and love them for everything but mud. THey down right suck in mud, get clogged up and you don't go anywhere. Use in rocks is pretty good for a AT aired down to 12 psi I feel pretty good with them. Iv been running them for two years on everything from rock, soft dirt, packed snow, loose powdered snow to gravel roads. THey do really good in all these, better than other all terrains iv seen(BFG). On the highway they do really good since i drive 300 miles back and forth to college dozen times a year. Im down to 30% tread in the read and 50% in front and they still pull me through the woods nice
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96xjKing View Post
their rated for 50psi max , an they had 20 psi when I got it so I threw in some air up to 40psi
Um, 20 psi was closer to appropriate than 40 or 50 psi. You apparently don't realize that the sidewall pressure rating is merely to inform you of the max pressure--not what you should run for a given vehicle.

You should almost certainly be running like 26-30 psi.

Want to know about AT tires? Here's a thread that already exists with most of the info you want: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
I don't agree with all of it, but I haven't really finished my personal guide on tires, and I agree with most of it. Regarding the BFG AT vs General AT2 issue at least, I'm not a huge fan of either one. They're old-school designs that really aren't the best at anything anymore except for maybe dry, rocky conditions like the American southwest. Between the two, I'd take the Generals every time without a second thought. They're significantly cheaper and, imo, perform better.

Quote:
Is there anyway around the 25 post deal to upload pics?
You could upload them to a site like Photobucket then link to them.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would/will post a pic when I get my 25 posts in. It may be dry rot but doesn't look like it, theirs 2 main splits, and I mean splits not normal dry rot cracks, I can peel a good layer off of the sidewall. The way the splits look it's like they've sat for AWHILE, it may just be me but I don't trust it. I've liked them as long as I've had them, not alot of road noise an good on the trails. It would be a pretty penny yes but I'd rather fork up the dough than be stuck on the side of the road, plus I could pick the best old tire an have a full size spare vs my dingy donut spare. Is there anyway around the 25 post deal to upload pics?
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You should almost certainly be running like 26-30 psi.

Between the two, I'd take the Generals every time without a second thought. They're significantly cheaper and, imo, perform better.

You could upload them to a site like Photobucket then link to them.[/QUOTE]

/\ Ditto !
The Generals have proven to be every bit as good as BFG AT's and way cheaper!
I don't want to get into that whole "what is the best AT tire" because that topic will get ugly fast.
I'll will say that AT's are a compromise so you must pick what trait you want the most (price, tire life, dry traction, mud, snow, etc) THAT'S WHY they're called ALL terrain.
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would/will post a pic when I get my 25 posts in. It may be dry rot but doesn't look like it, theirs 2 main splits, and I mean splits not normal dry rot cracks, I can peel a good layer off of the sidewall. The way the splits look it's like they've sat for AWHILE, it may just be me but I don't trust it. I've liked them as long as I've had them, not alot of road noise an good on the trails. It would be a pretty penny yes but I'd rather fork up the dough than be stuck on the side of the road, plus I could pick the best old tire an have a full size spare vs my dingy donut spare. Is there anyway around the 25 post deal to upload pics?
Or you could replace the one bad tire one plus one more and have an identical spare at half the cost.
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ill take y'all's advice an air them down to 30, however on previous experience the psi rating on the sidewall isn't the intended psi but close, so that's why I had 40 in them, my majority of driving is on road so If anything I would buy three new tires so it would wear more even ( I'm kinda ocd about tire wear etc), I like the at2 better IMO as well however I've never had the BFG's, imma code the tire an see how old they are, I'll try to get some pics on photobucket an link them on here after while
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

On the street the front tires tend to wear a little faster than the rear tires so if you're at 80% tread you could move the front tires to the rear axle and put two new ones up front. (or some other combination to get the bad tire out of the rotation) They would even out (tread wear wise) fairly quickly. I hear you on the OCD thing and tires - but if you haven't purchased tires recently you're in for some sticker shock.
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry guys it's been a few days since I've updated. I've been searching this forum and other sources about a/t tire info, discovered theirs some pretty thick feelings between the bfg a/t an other a/t's.So I won't stir the pot on that, however after considering Callahans post for a GOOD while, I finally decided to opt for a new set of tires and sell my old set....mainly due to my OCDness about tires an stuff . I also decided (after a little sticker shock) if its worth doing its worth doing right... And I wanted to get new rims eventually anyway, SO, this morning before work I ordered 5 15x8 Cragar soft 8 rims and I went to my local tire shop that I trust with my life to see what kind of a/t's they could get ( I originally wanted pro comp xtreme a/t's but they couldn't order them, an I like to support local businesses an not order online ) so after chatting with the owner whose good friend of the family, I've decided to get a set of good ole Mickey T's mtz's I know their a m/t tire however I've wanted a set for the longest....so ill also only DD the ole xj thurs-Sunday to make the tires last longer an drive the ole car the rest of the time . I opted for the mtz's not only because they have excellent reviews, their made in the USA just like the Cragar's I will try to find a real used mtz on eBay to mount on my 5th rim as my spare. So fellow jeepers I'd like to say thanks for all the help, I'm a new guy just asking the same questions others have asked an I know that's annoying but sh$t, gotta learn somehow...ALSO, I couldn't figure photo bucket out on my phone so I promise as soon as I get 25 posts ill post pics of that tire for those who wanted to see, again guys I appreciate everything, if y'all are ever in west Tn hit me up we'll trail ride
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good deal. Spot on about the strong opinions about AT tires. (Sometimes I think people forget the "A" part of AT stand for ALL terrain, meaning the tires are intentionally designed to be a compromise!) Everybody has input but that's good thing. You have the advantage of gaining all of the input and taking from that information what you want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.