Tire Clearance Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tire Clearance Control Arms

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Tire Clearance Control Arms

What companies offer control arms that are bent inwards for tire clearance? The only ones I have found so far are from Rusty's and they are custom order.

No, I am not interested in stock WJ control arms.

Unread 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Arkansasboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Iron rock offroad makes there's bent inward for more tire clearance. They come standard in all the long arm kits
Arkansasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansasboy View Post
Iron rock offroad makes there's bent inward for more tire clearance. They come standard in all the long arm kits
It would have to be standard short arms for my application.
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Arkansasboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh okay. I don't know of anybody that has short arms ore bent. Rustys may be your only option. I would keep looking and see if you can fid anybody. If not go with rustys.
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansasboy View Post
Oh okay. I don't know of anybody that has short arms ore bent. Rustys may be your only option. I would keep looking and see if you can fid anybody. If not go with rustys.
Yep, if I was not limited by the Comanche frame rail setup I would probably save up for a long arm system upgrade. The usual response for asking a manufacturer if it will fit on a Comanche is "Buy it and find out for us."
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Arkansasboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You could always build one with a pipe bender. Just a thought. Yeah that's when you say why don you give it to me free am we can find out.
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you buy wheels with proper back spacing your tires will not contact the arms ! Another method is also to adjust the steering stops
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

'97 MJ ? Front clip swap I suppose.

Get proper backspaced wheels or run WJ control arms. There's a reason they're not common.
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
If you buy wheels with proper back spacing your tires will not contact the arms ! Another method is also to adjust the steering stops
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
'97 MJ ? Front clip swap I suppose.

Get proper backspaced wheels or run WJ control arms. There's a reason they're not common.
2013 Rubicon Moab rims and tires with a 1.25" spacer adapters. I am already at the maximum back spacing I can get with those, 5", which is nearly ideal for this setup. This is already 0.5" shallower than most stock XJ/MJ/TJ rims. As the turning radius is already less than a XJ because of the longer 113" wheel base adjusting the steering stops is not ideal. The clearance needed at the control arms is at the most 0.5". If I stick on street tires they just barely clear the control arms due to there being no large tread lugs sticking out. Simply swapping to some beefy control arms with tubes that do that have the curled edge sticking out may work, but I rather just have the extra clearance of bent arms.

Fenders, grill, entire drive train, interior, etcetera, all from a 1997.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.