Tipsy xj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tipsy xj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
honeybadger420
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Tipsy xj?

Hello this is my first post so be patient lol. I have started my first jeep build and have installed a 4 1/2" rough country lift on my 91 Cherokee Laredo. I am pleased with the ride and performance of the RC lift despite mixed opinions on the brand. My question pertains to a predicament I've encountered twice now on the trail now. I have stock axles with 31x10.50 goodyears on stock wheels. So far I've almost nose dived twice. And am wondering if this is something just typical of the xj's or is this because of the mostly outside offset stock rims?
I did want to keep it as narrow as possible but now I'm having second thoughts about that haha! Also do have a locker or two in future of the build because I've noticed without I'm even more vulnerable when she tips due to the open diff.
Any advice on my not so safe feeling dilemma?

Unread 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Xride

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Nose dived? like going down a drop and the front end hits the ground?
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Nose dived? like going down a drop and the front end hits the ground?
X2
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Teeeejay

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think he means when he flexes he lifts his front wheen and the XJ teeters over onto the front wheel and sort of nose dives when the rear wheel gets high enough. If not that I have no clue what he means.

Like this if I had to guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv3ZHvdm9gg

CoTM March 2014
Teeeejay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sound like a driver issue NOT a rig issue.. Unless he means his offset wheels are SNAPPING off.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I guess if it was your first time driving a lifted jeep... I have had friends think we are going to tip over when side hilling because they just don't know how much flex it has
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Going up 4.5" and not increasing the track width is going to feel more tippy for sure. Basic laws of physics. You can widen the track by using wheels with less backspace, wheel spacers (not always good), or wider axles.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
honeybadger420
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Lifts right rear tire while going down hill when left front tire slides into rut. Feels like it is at verge of flipping at kinda a front/side angle. Is this a condition of ride bein so narrow?
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
honeybadger420
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Teeeejay's link describes it best. I am rather new to wheelin and maybe I'm being alittle too cautious but I'm certain I was very close to a bad situation. The hill I was going down both times is very steep with ruts. It was partly due to driver error but seems jeep should be somewhat more stable lol. I have shackle relocation brackets almost finished and should get couple more inches flex out of rear that will also probably allow more flex before rear tire lifts, not sure if that will help or hurt lol
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger420 View Post
Teeeejay's link describes it best. I am rather new to wheelin and maybe I'm being alittle too cautious but I'm certain I was very close to a bad situation. The hill I was going down both times is very steep with ruts. It was partly due to driver error but seems jeep should be somewhat more stable lol. I have shackle relocation brackets almost finished and should get couple more inches flex out of rear that will also probably allow more flex before rear tire lifts, not sure if that will help or hurt lol
Driver error and over driving the terrain. Get more flex? lol

Best of luck.
Unread Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #11
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Driver error and over driving the terrain. Get more flex? lol

Best of luck.

Yea

Welcome to jeepforum. This is a good board I have leaned a lot here, and for sure has keep my jeep on the road.

Your problem is what has lead to the development of jeeps .. welcome to the world of flex

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.