Tips on finding 4.10 HP D30 and Chry8.25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Tips on finding 4.10 HP D30 and Chry8.25

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
miragemobile

Tips on finding 4.10 HP D30 and Chry8.25

I've been looking for HP Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 axles with 4.10 gears for a few months.

Can anyone provide input on places to search for these?

So far I've tried ebay, jeepforums, car-part.com and 33 local salvage places (houston, austin, dallas). This has landed me NADA.

I am located in TX

The only thing I have not tried (that I have thought of) is the self service pick/pulls. This is because I live 1.5 hrs from the nearest one.

miragemobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Good bloody luck. I spent better than 6 months watching car-parts, craigslist and checking yards and never actually found a 4.10 HP30 in TX, LA or OK. Finally bought a 3.55 one and regeared it. The 8.25 will probably be a little easier, as there were a lot more 4cyl 2wd than there were 4wd.

So here's what I can tell you:
1) Keep an eye on craigslist, too. A lot of guys part out XJ's themselves there instead of taking them to a yard. Didn't find a 410 HP30 there, but I did find both axles I ended up using and there's more XJ's on craigslist than there are in all of the Dallas self-serve yards.

2) Get on google or yellow pages and find smaller yards outside the big city. XJ's have skyrocketed in popularity in the southern states recently, and they tend to disappear from the big-name yards as fast as they appear. The smaller town yards don't tend to have near as many deals with reman parts dealers and whatnot, and tend to have fewer people watching them. That's my experience at least. Just call 'em before you drive out there and see what they can tell you.

If you decide (like I did) to give up and regear, keep in mind that a convenient axle swap is about the same cost as having a shop do the re-gear. I spent about 600-650 parts & labor on my 4.10 LSD disc ford 8.8. Would have been 300ish if I could weld. If you're not comfortable doing gearing yourself, you're probably looking at 150-200 parts and 400ish labor for each axle. Might as well get a 4.10 8.8 or Rubi rear 44 for around the same price.

Also mind the 3.55 carrier break in the HP30's. If you can't find a 4.10 at least try to find a tow-packaged equipped one so you can get 3.73's and not have to buy the carrier and the gears.
Unread 07-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I will be in a yard on Saturday which has a '96 2WD 4.0 with tow package. Will take a look at the differential tag for you.
PimaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimaXJ View Post
I will be in a yard on Saturday which has a '96 2WD 4.0 with tow package. Will take a look at the differential tag for you.
It'll be a 3.73. Only the 4 cylinder models ever came with a 4.10.
I4 = 4.10
I6 + Auto + tow = 3.73 (also has a tranny cooler that you can install pretty easy. Not a good one, but better than none)
I6 + Auto = 3.55
I6 + Manual = 3.07
Unread 07-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I made it to the Tucson yard today. The '99 was a 2.5 with manual gearbox. Down to a shell pretty much but the rear end is still in it & has a tag which is stamped "4.10". The '96 is also a 2WD 4.0 auto box with the factory tow pkg. It has the factory trans. cooler which is damaged. Dana 35 rear end but alas no tags so assume it is the 3.73 ratio. Hope this helps some one!
Unread 07-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

I read this yesterday and all I could think was good luck, in years of going to the JY here with no shortage of XJs I think I've seen maybe 2 4 cyl XJs. Then I was on Craigslist last night and there was a 99 listed with a 2.5 and manual trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, the 4 cyl. are uncommon. Some one grabbed the 2.5 & the manual gearbox since I was there a week ago so somebody needed one. This XJ will likely get crushed soon which is unfortunate 'cause it was extremely clean. The diff. is about all that remains beside the unibody shell.
Unread 07-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior
It'll be a 3.73. Only the 4 cylinder models ever came with a 4.10. I4 = 4.10 I6 + Auto + tow = 3.73 (also has a tranny cooler that you can install pretty easy. Not a good one, but better than none) I6 + Auto = 3.55 I6 + Manual = 3.07

There's a rare percent to find one with 4.56's. But it's possible.
DirtyJeepGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.