Time for some new tires! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Time for some new tires!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Time for some new tires!

Ok so I have looked around and seen a lot of threads with tire suggestions for the cherokee but a lot of the tires I see suggested are not available in the size my XJ came with (225/75/15r).

My needs are primarily interstate driving on VERY bad roads, any VA members here will know how bad I95 around RVA is. I also need tires that can handle most weather, I don't get a lot of snow around here but when we get it it can be nasty slushy junk on the roads. I also have a lot of turns that are taken at decent speed so I really want a tire that can handle the wear of that as the cheapos I got on the jeep from carmax have lasted all of 20,000 miles (granted some of that wear was me not being good about tire pressure checks and maybe some alignment issues along with not rotating them).

I do not go off road ever really but I want to be able to still have the ability to for when I ever get around to hunting and when my brother gets some property this year.

Finally I need to stay in the $600 range for a full 5 tire set, I could go a bit more but not much as i also need an alignment and expect that I will need some parts with my luck.

I saw these http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...74149033400000 and they look ok but I haven't done a lot of research yet.

so any suggestions for my usage?

mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Chin13
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You could also look into bumping up to a 235/75/15. You would not notice the size difference and it opens up alot more options. A tire that I have been looking at for similar driving is the Cooper AT3. It has alot of good reviews. Just throwing that out there.
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a link to JP magazine's tire reviews from last year.
Most are Mud tires, but there are several all terrain tires too:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...d/viewall.html
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So i am really leaning towards the general grabber at2. Tire rack has them for 515 for a set of 5 plus 73-84 for shipping depending on where I ship them to. $600 after shipping for all 5 is better than I was expecting so with an alignment tossed in I will be under $700 and hopefully I don't really need any other parts (but we shall see), even if I have to replace the steering stabilizer which I am probably getting close to needing to do I will be out the door for a reasonable price.

Any reason I should not get the GG AT2s? The reviews all looked pretty goo.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When I looked at Tirerack.com for MY zipcode, the GG AT2 is a "closeout" item. I presume that if you needed a replacement in the near future, you wouldn't be able to get the same tire.
Also, as Chin13 suggested, change the filter to look for 235/75 size tires. The results go from 14 tires to over FOURTY!

AND, inquire at your LOCAL store. Maybe they'll have something in stock and not charge you shipping
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I also saw they were closeouts but i went ahead and got them. Worst case I figure that I will destroy a tire and will get a different tire and throw it in the spare and stop rotating all 5 and just rotate the 4. I figure if I end up needing to replace them any time soon that it will end up being due to a warranty problem and then it becomes general tires issue of finding one for me I am really only commuting right now and am not planing any real wheeling in the foreseeable future. The hardest off road conditions I will realistically see will be light terrain to go hunting if I ever get around to actually getting my hunting license.

I really didn't want to go up in size at this point, If i change my tire size I will do it right and change out the speedo gear to get accurate milage and i really dont want to go through the hassle of tracking one down now (I had a link some where in my bookmarks but IIRC it was hard to catch them in stock at a reasonable price). All of the local prices I was seeing for tires were still well over the price of the AT2s after shipping and they were still lower quality tires. Realistically I will change tire size when i finally get around to doing a little lift and other upgrades and then I will go for a bit larger tire than a 235/75/15.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.