Thundercracker Build Thread - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Thundercracker Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Closed Thread
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #856
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
That's a better plan...if you're willing to do all that work, wouldn't you just keep it then?
Probably. Just weighing options y'know?

__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #857
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,922
I'm all for weighing options before I jump if you bought the 4.6 block from Quadratec you could just reuse all the bolt-ons you already have.
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #858
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Not going to do that either way. Best I'd do is buy a short block and build it over the winter.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #859
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,922
I have a block for a 351 Cleveland I'm willing to sell
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #860
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Got denied for the loan, probably going to buy an ATK long block since they are only a few hundred more than a rebuild.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #861
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Got denied for the loan, probably going to buy an ATK long block since they are only a few hundred more than a rebuild.
Well that's the spirit, right? Adapt and overcome.

I always say there's a reason for everything - guess the loan just wasn't meant to be.

Probably not what you wanna hear, I'm sure, but it could always be worse........
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #862
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Well that's the spirit, right? Adapt and overcome.

I always say there's a reason for everything - guess the loan just wasn't meant to be.

Probably not what you wanna hear, I'm sure, but it could always be worse........
Doesn't mean I have the 2200 for the block.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #863
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post

Doesn't mean I have the 2200 for the block.
Its too bad the engine you're looking for wouldn't be in the $800 models. I got one here in town with a D44 rear
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #864
AKIQPilot
Senior Member
 
AKIQPilot's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 583
Real sorry to hear about you luck DNFJ. I would think good used 4.0's should be available in your area for $400 or less, maybe much less. Have you tried looking at local salvage yards or on Craigslist for a motor? I think any 4.0 from '91 to '01 would work for you, you would just have to install your accessories and electronics over to the new motor. Obviously stay away from any motor with a 331 head but other than that they should all work.

You obviously have the skills to swap out the motor so that part should be pretty easy for you. Hopefully you get it running soon.
AKIQPilot is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #865
AKIQPilot
Senior Member
 
AKIQPilot's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 583
Here is a motor in the Youngstown area. Not sure how close that is.

Jeep 4.0 in Youngstown.
AKIQPilot is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #866
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Only issue with that is that it's almost impossible to verify mileage.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #867
AKIQPilot
Senior Member
 
AKIQPilot's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Only issue with that is that it's almost impossible to verify mileage.
You are right about that for sure. After just a little looking I found about 6 motors in your area from $250 to $600.

You could look at a few of the cheaper ones and see if you can confirm mileage as well as looking to see which one is the cleanest looking. You could buy the one you felt the best about and drop it in to get you back on the road.

Once you're back on the road you can take your time and disassemble your existing motor, clean everything spotless, inspect the crank, cam and Cyl that had a piston problem and then put a new rod and piston back in your existing motor. From that point you can decide if you are up for another motor swap or maybe just hold on to the motor for a spare.

Or you could skip all of that and just start the teardown and inspection today and get the motor back together and in the rig before the weekend is up.
AKIQPilot is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #868
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
You are right about that for sure. After just a little looking I found about 6 motors in your area from $250 to $600.

You could look at a few of the cheaper ones and see if you can confirm mileage as well as looking to see which one is the cleanest looking. You could buy the one you felt the best about and drop it in to get you back on the road.

Once you're back on the road you can take your time and disassemble your existing motor, clean everything spotless, inspect the crank, cam and Cyl that had a piston problem and then put a new rod and piston back in your existing motor. From that point you can decide if you are up for another motor swap or maybe just hold on to the motor for a spare.

Or you could skip all of that and just start the teardown and inspection today and get the motor back together and in the rig before the weekend is up.
Links to these motors? Can't find any on my craiglists.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #869
AKIQPilot
Senior Member
 
AKIQPilot's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 583
Well based on your profile I can only assume you live near Pittsburgh PA. A quick CL search shows up with several 4.0 Cherokee motors and several others from rigs other than a Cherokee. I'm not implying these are all in Pittsburgh but they all come up with a CL search of Pittsburgh. I am quite sure there are several 4.0 motors available at your local salvage yards too.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/4049882419.html

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/for/4070601057.html

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/pts/4035587665.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4045857879.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4077082160.html

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/pts/4073028919.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/for/4070610090.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bar/4067875362.html
AKIQPilot is offline  
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #870
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Well based on your profile I can only assume you live near Pittsburgh PA. A quick CL search shows up with several 4.0 Cherokee motors and several others from rigs other than a Cherokee. I'm not implying these are all in Pittsburgh but they all come up with a CL search of Pittsburgh. I am quite sure there are several 4.0 motors available at your local salvage yards too.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/4049882419.html

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/for/4070601057.html

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/pts/4035587665.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4045857879.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4077082160.html

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/pts/4073028919.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/for/4070610090.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bar/4067875362.html
Local salvage yards almost never have full motors and the full service yards around here are huge rip offs. But thanks sir.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline  




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.