Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundercracker Build Thread

73K views 958 replies 48 participants last post by  DNFJ 
#1 ·
So, Finally decided to make a build thread for my XJ.

Anyways, I've owned three Jeeps (two ZJs) since I was 18. The first was a 94 5.2 ZJ in absolutely perfect shape with 93k miles, garage kept, undercoated, absolutely amazing. It stayed stock, and 3 months to the day was totaled by a drunk driver and I began my search for another Jeep.

Two weeks later I was in my 96 ZJ, 114k miles, had her for about a year and a half. This one I actually modded. Until the transmission gave out and I didn't have the money to fix it, at which point it was scrapped.

When I got it:

Before it got scrapped:

Which brings me to the XJ:

I drove around in my dad's cavalier while trying to find a new Jeep:

See less See more
#3 ·
The XJ I found out in Ohio on Craigslist. 6" lift, 33s, and 4.7L stroker, all for 2,000 bucks. The guy sold it to me cheap because he thought it was going to need the engine tore down and rebuilt again (misfire in every cylinder but 5), but it ended up being a mixture of coil boots and fixing the heat soak issue and now it runs perfectly.

How it sat when I picked it up:

A few hours later I was home and had my basket rack on top of her.

#4 ·
The next day I put her to the test, took her out to do some hill climbs, trails, and mudding. This is probably my favorite trail damage as well just because I drove around with her looking like she had a black eye.

XJ:

Powerchoke that my friend has:

At this point I had the CB, lights, and subwoofers + headunit all switched into the XJ, don't have pictures of any of these swaps just because of how simple they were.

I walked up the trails for 20 minutes with a flashlight until I found the headlight bezel, the next day I bought some plastic epoxy and put it back together and repainted it.

The ZJ got scrapped and I had a little bit of extra cash for fun stuff. I found a set of four of these Eagle Alloy Recoils on CL for 60 bucks so I went out and got them. The dude has a 03 TJ on 37s, and was making metal fender flares for it when I pulled up. I wish I had gotten a picture of his Jeep.

I took her mudding again and when I went to drop a few of my buddies off, she would start up roughly and then die out when I tried to put her in gear, luckily I had an extra air filter in the trunk and she ran fine after that.

At this point I knew I needed a snorkel:

Which I picked up on ebay for $130

#5 ·
I've owned the XJ since August and I've put the following into her without pictures because of how simple the Job was:

New hub/bearing assemblies up front
New Radiator
New Alternator
New Battery
New Spark plugs
New Spectre re-usable air filter (for when I put the snorkel on it)
New Thermostat
New Water Pump
New Rotors, Calipers, and Pads up front
New wheel cylinders, drums, and shoes in the rear, with new stainless steel brake lines.
Alignment

Last week I tackled the big issues. 1. No fender flares in PA is a no-no and I was tired of having people tell me to buy them, I found a front DS and all four stock flares off a guy on CL for $70 bucks. 2. The underbody was rust free and I want it to stay that way so I bought two quarts of Chassis Saver and a $25 harbor freight spray gun.

End result:

(You can still see the clamp holding it on in the reflection lol.

Yesterday I found some new bumper end caps which I trimmed and bolted back on. My next project is probably going to be detailing the inside, and finished up the little bit of body work that it does need.

Then I can start looking for armor. I am thinking about ordering skid plates first though, to protect better against the winter and for rocks, trails, etc.

#10 ·
Looks nice. Better than the Zj for sure. Makes me want to get an xj.

#13 ·
What? I just said I wanted a tcase skid...

Anyways found a swing out tire carrier bumper on cl for 350 so I'm picking that up thursday.

I also repaired my rusty doors. Though I definitely need new leafs soon.

Wheel Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Painted my headlight bezels too.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

#15 ·
So yesterday I got some stickers, and when I pulled my XJ into the garage (only about the front 1/3 of it actually fits) I managed to hit my roof basket off the house by going too far. 2 light covers are broken, all 4 lights themselves are good. Roof rails are good but both cross members are broke.

Luckily my neighbor has a 99 Cherokee Sport so I'm going to take his cross members for $20 bucks and fix it this afternoon.

I also got a new stock front bumper for cheap which is now on there as well. No more dented bumper, yay.

#16 ·
So apparently his roof rack cross members don't fit on my XJ, so I didn't buy them. This means I have to take a trip to the junkyard in 30 degree weather, awesome.

Anyways, I took it mudding (I ****ing hate mud) because my buddy brought his Dodge Ram up from Camp Lejune.

I also got another set of Hellas for free so those are on the front now too. Got front tow hooks, hi-lift jack, and replacement fender flares for the rear coming in the mail in the next couple days. I was a little pissed that I ripped mine off and it just reminded my how much I hate mud.

Also saw this the other night while driving:

Cat pictures on the back of a hummer. Ugh.

#21 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-XJ-Che...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6cfb4630&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherokee-XJ...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7cdbf711&vxp=mtr

They're basically the same price at the DIY ones.

Cool, but there is no way that it has 6 inches of lift.
Lol, I should take a picture of my saggy coils for you, it's almost disgusting how bad they are. At one point it was at 6"
Oh well, for tax return season (and leading up to it) I'm picking up RE leafs and probably IRO coils. Hopefully by the end of January it will be back to a full 6" right now it's sitting at about 4.75" or so.

#22 ·
Got my front tow hooks on yesterday and formulated a plan for how I'd like the XJ to be by July or so of next year.

6.5" Lift with new coils and leafs.
Rear air-locker
ARB On Board Compressor
Rear Bumper with D-rings + receiver
Front winch bumper with 9000lbs winch (possibly Logan's Metal Products if I can go pick one up and not deal with their ****ty customer service).

Skids: T-Case, Front factory, Gas tank
Rock Sliders

Basically in PA the closest I can go for trails is about 1 1/2 hours either way, so I'm going to build it to go to moab or rubicon.

#25 ·
I'm not saying its practical, but I just saw this mj with this bumper and thought it would look sick on your xj.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

#26 ·
I love that MJ, but something about tube bumpers just irk me. Though that one isn't bad at all. I feel like tube bumpers are hit or miss.

Next pay check I'm getting new lower control arms, and might possibly start ordering new lift parts.

#27 ·
Well I guess the Jeep heard me talking about new lift parts and decided that it was time for one of the leaf springs to shear apart.

Oh well.

IR-X5RSP XJ 5.5" Leaf Springs 1 $339.99 $339.99
IR-X6FSP XJ 6.5" Front Springs 1 $149.99 $149.99
IR-X_1LS XJ 1" Lift Shackle 1 $59.99 $59.99
IR-XUBC8 XJ U-Bolt Kit for Chrysler 8.25 Axle [7639] 1 $24.99 $24.99
Shipping: FedEx Ground Home Delivery: $112.2

I'll put control arms off til later this week or so so I can figure out if I want to go radials or just adjustables for now.

#28 ·
6.5" Lift, What am I forgetting?

Ok, so my suspension is basically tweaked after messing up a control arm, then my leaf spring breaking later.

So this is what I've ordered so far:
6.5" coils
5.5" leafs
1" drop shackles
1.25" TC drop
IRO adjustable control arms
u bolts

I know I still need:
adjustable track bar
shims for rear axle
extended brake lines

Am I forgetting anything else? Shocks, bump stops, etc will be coming with my tax return and this is merely to get it back on the road.

It already has a drop pitman arm, and I will be ordering a bigger sway bar and tie rod after she's back on the road.

#30 ·
I plan on a hack and tap and control arm drop brackets after I get paid next. Talked to IRO and zack said that I should be able to get away with the control arms up front, the TC drop, and to shim the rear 2-4 degrees for a bit until I buy the H&T and drop brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.