For Those of You w/ QT HD Leaf Springs... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > For Those of You w/ QT HD Leaf Springs...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For Those of You w/ QT HD Leaf Springs...

I'm looking into getting a pair as my stock ones are sagging and rusted. I don't want to get OME leafs because they seem to give much more than the advertised 2".

How do they ride compared to the stock springs? Is it much rougher?

Jeff9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have Q hd leaved. but i have 3 inch rough country and i could imagine them being stiffer the the QD HD.

The rc is a huge improvement in ride the stock i cant imagine the q hd being rougher. just pair them with a decent shock.

youll love the new feel of the ride. it just feels so less sloppy on the rode.
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The OME springs give different amounts of lift based on the spring rates. A heavy duty 2" spring will give about 2.75-3" of lift because it is meant to give 2" of lift on a jeep carrying a lot of weight or one that has a very heavy rear bumper.

Get 2" OME light duty springs and they will give you exactly 2" of lift. Medium duty 2" springs will give you about 2.25" actual lift. The Quadratec HD springs seem to cause more uncertainty in my opinion. I've seen them give anywhere from 1.5"-2.5" of lift. At least if you get the right OME spring rate you will know about how much lift you are getting. OME is also the best ride and quality you can buy.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
motown2
1992 XJ Cherokee 

stock height:

qt hd leaves and 2in shackle and 2in spacer in front:

Sat pretty much even w/ qt hd leaves, then went w/ rc adjustable shckale on highest setting and i liked the stance better.
Unread 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
shodown99gp
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The only problem I have run into with the QT HD are once you put a shackle on, it made the shackle angle 90 degrees. I have seen from a few other people having this problem, but not saying it will happen to you.

They will however sit higher for a while, but mine sagged a bit and had to add a shackle to get back even with my front spacer
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
The OME springs give different amounts of lift based on the spring rates. A heavy duty 2" spring will give about 2.75-3" of lift because it is meant to give 2" of lift on a jeep carrying a lot of weight or one that has a very heavy rear bumper.

Get 2" OME light duty springs and they will give you exactly 2" of lift. Medium duty 2" springs will give you about 2.25" actual lift. The Quadratec HD springs seem to cause more uncertainty in my opinion. I've seen them give anywhere from 1.5"-2.5" of lift. At least if you get the right OME spring rate you will know about how much lift you are getting. OME is also the best ride and quality you can buy.
Well you've convinced me. I called ARB and Dirk at DPG Offroad and determined that this is what I want to do...
OME CS034RB (Light Duty) Leafs
1.75" Coil Spacer (current coils are in fine shape)

Now I can't decide what to do about shocks. Dirk basically said that not getting the OME shocks will make for a crappy ride. I know I should just get the OME shocks, but four are $340 versus four BDS5500's at $170.
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

they are salesmen. yeah there shocks might be better. but worth it?
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89 View Post
they are salesmen. yeah there shocks might be better. but worth it?
Very valid point. I might go with BDS and use the saved money in the event I need a TC drop or worse...SYE. Super scared about vibes.
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9 View Post
Well you've convinced me. I called ARB and Dirk at DPG Offroad and determined that this is what I want to do...
OME CS034RB (Light Duty) Leafs
1.75" Coil Spacer (current coils are in fine shape)

Now I can't decide what to do about shocks. Dirk basically said that not getting the OME shocks will make for a crappy ride. I know I should just get the OME shocks, but four are $340 versus four BDS5500's at $170.
I'm not in sales and I've run a TON of different shocks. If it's in your budget get the OME shocks. They are the best riding shocks I've ever run on any of my rigs! Spend the extra cash on them please! I don't care who you purchase them from (Of course you know where I'd prefer you purchase them from lol), but the OME shocks are the way to go!
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rick- I think I bothered to you today on the Quadratec chat, twice...and you're from Brick haha small world

I really want to get the OME's, now it's just a matter of justifying (to myself) that I should.

And FYI: I plan on ordering from Quadratec!
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

I saw this thread and figured it may have been you lol. Yep, shore house down there right off of Princeton Ave! I haven't been there since summer though - need to go back and enjoy the hot tub in the cold weather (when it's best enjoyed!). I love that area!!

I promise you, you will love the shocks. My red XJ, lifted 5.5" and on 33's, rode better than stock with those shocks and RE springs!

The OME stabilizer is the only one I will run as well - I've run it on my YJ's, my XJ's, and now my TJ.

Oh, and thanks! ;-)
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Shocks will make all the difference in ride quality. The best springs out there will ride like crap with cheap shocks. Bilstein or OME are both awesome, but expensive. FWIW if you can find a set of JK wrangler takeoff shocks they will work nicely for you and ride very nice. I bought mine for 40.00 with 8 miles on them and have been running them for a couple of years now.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Shocks will make all the difference in ride quality. The best springs out there will ride like crap with cheap shocks. Bilstein or OME are both awesome, but expensive. FWIW if you can find a set of JK wrangler takeoff shocks they will work nicely for you and ride very nice. I bought mine for 40.00 with 8 miles on them and have been running them for a couple of years now.
I see that on other threads you've said JK shocks will work for 2-4 inches of lift. Will they work with as little as .5-1"? (if I decided to same some money and go the QT HD leaf and 3/4" spacer route) I actually know someone willing to give me 4 shocks off a 2011 JK Sahara, so if you think it could work, it would save a lot of money.
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^ im selling JK rear shocks if your interested
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I may be interested if some can definitively tell me that they will fit with only .5-1.5 inches over stock.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.