Third XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Third XJ

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Darkstardevil26
2002 WJ 

Third XJ

Hello all, been a member of here for quite some time. This will be my third XJ I've had, 6-7th jeep over all. This will be my first build thread. A little about me, my names Jeremy I'm in central VA (804) area. I travel for all of my work, so I always need dependable cars. I'm also the type who goes through cars, buying and modifying then selling to make some extra $. Well this being my 3rd XJ and I've always missed my others after I sold them, I think I'm going to finally settle into one for a long haul (but who really knows).

It is a 1990 Cherokee Laredo that had 206k on it when I bought it. Dana 35 rear end, NP231 xfer case, AW4 tranny. I have the original window sticker, and 10-15 years work of maintenance on it. The only issue mechanically so far that I still have to deal with is a minor oil leak. Still trying to pin point where it is coming from.

I got it about 1.5 months ago, stock 2 door and the body is in great condition. It's actually the cleanest Jeep rust wise I've ever owned.

That's how it sat in the garage for a couple weeks. Was DD'ing my 7.3l then, and now that's sold I'm DD'ing this. First stage was a 3" s10 bastard pack rear with 2" coil spacers up front, JK shocks all around. Then found a good deal on some 4.5" IRO leaf springs, 2" shackles, 4.5" coil springs, and adjustable UCA's and LCA's.

So didn't break a single bolt putting on the first lift either, so I knew the installing the 4.5" would be a breeze. I don't have any pictures of the JYard lift I did on it, but it worked well for what it was. While picking up the leafs and coils, we chatted for quite some time, he is/was an active member on here, can't remember his screen name but he was a great guy. Well long story short I ended up taking some Firestone Destination M/T's off him also. 33x12.5x15 mounted on Cragar D windows. They were all basically brand new, and he just messed up/totaled his rig so he was re-couping some money. I was more than happy to get a good deal. Here are some pics of the 4.5" lift and 33" tires.

I don't have any pictures of installing it all really. But I did a tune up on it, cap rotor plugs wires fuel filter air filter oil and oil filter. It's a solid Jeep, still want to comp test it to see if I want to buy a spare motor to build a stroker out of or not. I have the head liner out now, and I'll always be doing stuff to it.

As for future mods I'll be making my own front bumper, and roof rack. Just found a rear bumper in the Jyard today that I'll be throwing on soon enough. May make one though depending on when I get the front one done though.

Sorry for the novel, but if you're reading this far along, thanks for the support. This is one of the better forums I've been on and I've been on a lot (VW, honda, subaru, Merc, BMW, etc.) Happy to be in a Jeep again, other than the MPG, but who cares?!?! It's a jeep!

-Jeremy

Darkstardevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Darkstardevil26
2002 WJ 

Disregard the dirty garage! It's relatively organized now. But other odds and ends I've done include new sun visors, new shifter assembly, and headliner is out now. Hopefully getting the fabric put on tomorrow and that will be good to go. Every time I close the door I hear the whole roof vibrate. Also looking into either doing a D35 out of a 4cylinder with 4.10's in it or building a 96+ 8.25 29 spline soon enough. Easier / cheaper to just swap axles and be done with it. The 3.55's really aren't all that bad on these 33" tires, in my opinion.
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The lift and tires really brought that jeep up a couple notches. She's looking pretty good now! Very good shape for a 90.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Darkstardevil26
2002 WJ 

Yeah still have to trim the fenders. But it's in great shape for a 90. Appreciate the compliment.

-Jeremy

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.